SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020 Login/Join 
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
The one of the dam shifting seems to indicate it's only a matter of time.

Yes. I'm no expert so it may not mean what it suggests to me but that one really got my attention. Very scary and I don't know what could be done to rectify that, if it is necessary.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
Just so people have a better understanding of water flow - the emergency water discharge from the dam (per second) is 25x more than what flows over the Niagara Falls (per second).

Wow.

Barely comprehensible, that much at once.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Wow, 400 million is roughly 1/3 of the total population of China. It's hard for me to wrap my head around that. God help those people.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Just so people have a better understanding of water flow - the emergency water discharge from the dam (per second) is 25x more than what flows over the Niagara Falls (per second).

Wow.

Barely comprehensible, that much at once.

Here is another for you - the per second emergency discharge is 66,000 tonnes of water.

To be even more mind bending, at the rate it is being discharged, it would take 93 days to fill Lake Erie to the brim if it was empty.

Or...The weight of water being discharged every 132 seconds exceeds the weight of cement used to build the hoover dam.

Last, but not least - It can fill 24 olympic swimming pools per second.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
I don't have an Engineering bone in my body, so those numbers, nosler, are just beyond my comprehension, and thanks for tying the visuals to them. Good LORD!!! Eek I hope this all works out.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Those numbers are almost impossible to comprehend. 400m people at risk. I wonder what is meant by that? Death, loss of property? An event like that even if it's just loss of property would rank up there with the greatest cataclysms ever to face man kind.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Those numbers are almost impossible to comprehend. 400m people at risk. I wonder what is meant by that? Death, loss of property? An event like that even if it's just loss of property would rank up there with the greatest cataclysms ever to face man kind.

The way I have read this from other locations, the flooding associated with a full river, which is considered +6 meters over base levels puts roughly 10 million people in "danger". When you add an extra 2 meter to that (+8 meters), 50 million people would be considered in danger (their lives take them within areas that would flood). Because the river is already at full capacity (as is the dam), releasing the contents of the dam (39 cubic kilometers, which is 1/12 that of all of Lake Erie) would raise water levels by 30 meters, and that flood plain houses 400 million people.

Consider a 32 foot tall wave that is a 3 kilometers wide, that is takes 10 hours to subside.

IF you saw the damage created by the WIXOM dam break in Michigan, think about that to a scale of 50,000.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Anyone find this funny now? Wanna crack wise some more?

Yuck it up

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I'm trying to contextualize, I think it this scary as hell.

Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Wow, 400 million is roughly 1/3 of the total population of China. It's hard for me to wrap my head around that. God help those people.

Jim

I cannot even conceive of a loss of life on that scale.

I suspect that the ChiCom government can, and further suspect that they just don't care that much. Oh, they care about the flooding, but not because of the impact on the people.

Posts: 2458 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
If the loss of people affects their manufacturing industry...and I'm sure it does, they'll care.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38647 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
And the sad thing is any losses the CCP does report, you know its at least 3-5x that.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Those huge houses just being swept away by the river! Eek

What a nightmare to wonder if the dam will collapse and there will be nowhere to run.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd read this thread but didn't want to watch the videos. I finally did. Dang, what a shit storm those poor people are trapped in with no way outFrown Horrible to watch.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I just hope that dam hold the water until the rain stop. And NEVER burst. Just imagining the power of the rushing water going through the places where people live scares the living hell out of me.

Posts: 1884 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There’s no place to run, nowhere to hide. The Book of Genesis & Noah is happening again.

Damn near everything buried in 100’ of mud. Everything. Archeologists will be forever digging & discovering. Lord have mercy.

Ps. They’ve got no ark.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I hope that dam holds, but I have little to no confidence that the corrupt system that built it did it right.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:

To put it in other numbers that I can relate to better, last year as I recall when the Mississippi River in St. Louis was at severe flood stage (not quite as high as the record 50 ft level in 1993), the flow rate was about 800,000 cubic feet per second. That works out to the Three Gorges Dam flow rate being about 2.6 times that number... 2,112,000 cubic feet per second. That is a tremendous amount of water going where it wants to go.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 578 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Para,

RKI stands for "relatively knowledgeable individual".

I just finished discussing a CARVER matrix thought experiment with several other 18 Cats and a few other neat DHS types. The consensus is the complete and sudden failure of this dam complex discussion would be the single largest loss of life in human history at one time and would have a greater impact globally in setting back the advancement of mankind since the plagues and the resulting the dark ages.

We live in interesting time.

18Z50

Posts: 365 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I'm gonna nip this one in the bud. If any member wants to say "relatively knowledgeable individual" then they should say "relatively knowledgeable individual" and not RKI.

Type out those three words. You can do it. Feel the burn, push through it and you'll get your second wind.

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post