SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
soflaac, thanks for that post. I had no idea of the destruction that would come from that dam breaking. That is unreal what could happen to those innocent people. All I can do is send hopes a prayers their way. This is awful. A total shit storm that we are watching Frown

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I read a Chinese translated site, claiming it cannot catastrophically fail, because it’s a gravity dam.

Does that make sense?

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I have seen small creeks wash 1000#+ boulders down stream

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm the last thing from a geologist or dam expert, but I believe some who are advised that even more than the dam structure itself failing the threat also includes the natural structure the dam is built on.

Once the base begins to be compromised, it can lead to cascading failure of the whole structure.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1935 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read a Chinese translated site, claiming it cannot catastrophically fail, because it’s a gravity dam.

Does that make sense?

By catastrophically fail, I think what they mean is come crashing down, all at once.
I hope they are right about that, but that dam is definitely compromised.

China admits Three Gorges Dam 'deformed' by flood
China says 2nd major flood caused 'displacement, seepage, deformation' of Three Gorges Dam
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3972343

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Yes, the twitter video shows the whole dam just falling down at once and the water proceeding. I didn't find that all that illustrative.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Yes, the twitter video shows the whole dam just falling down at once and the water proceeding. I didn't find that all that illustrative.

I'm kinda doubting the dam breaking apart at once wasn't really the point of the video. Wink

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1935 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
That article mentions that the dam has deformed but that it is elastic deformation. By definition, elastic deformation means that the material hasn’t yielded and the deformation isn’t permanent. When the load is removed, the material should resume its original shape (or at least part way, since all of the load will never be removed).

I hope the Chinese government officials who reported this are telling the truth, but, with like anything they say, I have my doubts.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2103 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how much elasticity there would be in the materials used to construct the dam? I'm trying to avoid having a Rosie O'Donnell moment.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
There's another dam on the Yangtze not far downstream of the Three Gorges Dam. I have to wonder how that's holding up also.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I was around 'dam builders' much of my pre-adult life. My dad & his clan were all in various heavy construction trades. They readily offered their opinions of whatever the latest snafu arouse from various projects and the occassional failure of such.

Earth fill vs concrete vs combination designs are all complicated by a wide range of variables. Some are capable of some degree of 'elastic deformation' without immediate structure failure and some aren't.

I haven't seen convincing arguments regarding elasticity & temporary deformation in huge concrete dam components.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Does anyone with engineering experience have a prediction about what will happen at the dam? You would think there would be some serious evacuations if failure was certain, but who knows in China? Hopefully the rain will stop.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
Does anyone with engineering experience have a prediction about what will happen at the dam?

Read back a few pages. We had a dam inspection expert give his analysis and opinion.

TL;DR: He thought it was probably going to hold. But that was before Yet More Water, the reports of some "non-structural" failures, the admissions of some deformation, and before leaks had been reported, IIRC.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
Does anyone with engineering experience have a prediction about what will happen at the dam?
Short of skimming all ten pages, some facts which broadened my knowledge come to light on this post and page:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...000026274#4000026274

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Okay, maybe this was answered already... why don't then just let more water out? Seems to me when you build a damn you would give it a way to let most of the water escape with out it backing up to over flow on the high side... yes, I know it will flood down stream but a flood is better than a big wave.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Okay, maybe this was answered already... why don't then just let more water out? Seems to me when you build a damn you would give it a way to let most of the water escape with out it backing up to over flow on the high side... yes, I know it will flood down stream but a flood is better than a big wave.

short answer is they have been letting out an extremely high 'outflow' of water

flooding downstream has been bad

maybe even close to the 'max' outflow of what they can -- iirc all the floodgates have been opened

the volume of water from the flooding has been extreme

=================================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
The reason they are not letting more water out is either because they can't or they don't want to. I know that sounds trite, but that's the deal. We are focusing on the Three Gorges Dam because of its size, but there are many dams in the Yangtze system. It's a balancing act. If you let more water out at Three Gorges, you increase flooding and pressure on the downstream dams, some of which are likely in worse shape structurally than Three Gorges. So they are probably letting out as much as they need to at Three Gorges to keep their safety readings in the green (or maybe yellow in this case), while trying to minimize downstream impacts.

It could also be that they are already at maximum discharge. All of the primary spillway gates are open, based on what I've seen reported. Modern dams, even in China, should have an emergency spillway to pass water in the event that the primary spillway is inoperable or is overwhelmed. It's generally only used as a last resort to prevent a catastrophic failure. See the Oroville Dam crisis from a couple of years ago for how an emergency spillway can save the day. Three Gorges does not have a designated emergency spillway that I can see. My presumption is that the locks and/or ship lift are designated as the emergency spillway. I'd be curious to know if they are using those to pass water right now at the risk of damaging the structures. That would tell us something about their level of concern.

I also note that most of the discussion and concern has been around the primary dam, the massive concrete structure that shows up in all of the pictures. This flooding is also putting pressure on the south saddle dike adjacent to the main dam. You can see it on aerial photographs running perpendicular southwest of the main dam. That is an earthen structure that is likely more susceptible to failure.

Regarding deformation, anytime stress is added to a system beyond what it previously seen, deformation is going to occur. It's the natural stress-strain relationship of materials. If this is indeed elastic deformation, as China has claimed, it's not a big deal. Even it's plastic deformation, meaning permanent, it may not be a big deal. I don't trust any information coming from an official Chinese source, so who knows what the actual numbers are.

Nothing that I've seen makes me think failure is imminent or even likely. However, I'm hesitant to speculate on what will happen without good data, and nothing coming out of China appears to be good data at the moment.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Given the PRC's talent for understatement, if they're admitting to ANY concerns about the dam...

Posts: 2459 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing that I've seen makes me think failure is imminent or even likely. However, I'm hesitant to speculate on what will happen without good data, and nothing coming out of China appears to be good data at the moment.

Thanks for your informed analysis, jaaron11.
Although I loathe the CCP, I pray for the people.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
Given the PRC's talent for understatement, if they're admitting to ANY concerns about the dam...

Agreed. That’s what gives me the most concern.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post