SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020 Login/Join 
posted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wcb6092,

Posts: 12576 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
If Communist China initially said it was good for a 10,000 year flood, then reduced their claim to 1,000 years, and most recently to 100 years, I’d say they are fooked.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Bet it has a “made in China” sticker on it.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight Gates and pumps

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Stow that shit

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I took a few minutes and imagined if my family were in that mess. Those poor people.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider there are more people than live in the whole United States that live within 6 meters flood stage of the river. There are a lot of hopes on that dam, and it generated 9% of China's electricity last year. Yup, 1.21 gigawatts. Smile

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
That looks bad, even if the dam isn’t at risk of collapse. Engineering articles during the early part of construction in the 90s talked about how it would help with flood control as well as providing water and hydropower. While I don’t work with dams, one of my senior engineering projects was the design of an earthen dam, so I followed it fairly closely at the time. Now, one of the videos says the government claims that it’s not for flood control now the people can see it’s not working at it.

Quality control on dams, like structures (my specialty) is something that can’t be taken lightly, yet, in the second of the videos, they said the contractor did their own quality control on the left bank side before the western experts questioned it. The major building code in the U.S. requires that the owner rather than the contractor pay an independent, third party inspection service to do the more critical “special inspections” work in an attempt to avoid such a conflict of interest.

Hope the rain lets up and they get it under control soon.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I despise the government of china, those evil people who control every aspect of life there.

Having said that, I feel sorry for the regular people of china, those who live to support themselves and their families. Those are who I hope are ok.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
slightly reminiscent of the Oroville dam problem back in 2017 I think

in short, not a good place to be

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a stat I heard recently that made me pause, there's more people downstream in the potential flood/danger zone below Three Gorges Dam, than the entire population of the US Eek

Just watched the second video and they pointed the same stat out...400 million + people would be affected.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just nature washing all of the cooties away!!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Just nature washing all of the cooties away!!!!
You mean people? Is that what you meant?

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I was staying in Chongqing when they blew the last retaining wall for the dam around 2006. The real shame there is that the gov't. displaced a lot of towns and villages prior. And rest assured, their eminent domain is a little tougher than ours. Sure, the displaced folks got other housing. But some of those places were thousands of years old. You can imagine what kind of archaeological treasures lay in the ground. Now it's all 100' or more under water. In fact, there was already a Three Gorges Dam Museum in Chongqing then, which was pretty good. They had some amazing, priceless, ancient artifacts in there. But I couldn't help but think they only scratched the surface of what was there in a hasty attempt to placate people into thinking they weren't ignoring the history. But no way did they get any more than just scratching the surface. Such a shame to think of what all is buried or flooded forever now.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Answer me, jimmy. Are you comparing these unfortunate people to lice?

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I lived in Idaho Falls in June 1976 when the Teton Dam burst. It held 288,250 acre feet of water that rapidly left the reservoir and headed toward populated areas. I helped sandbag for days. Miracles happen and only 13 people lost their lives. I understand the power of water.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This thread goes no further until I get an answer.

Waiting on you, jimmy. Speak up.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You can answer me honestly and take your chances, or you can remain silent and eat a 30 day suspension.

You have until I check this thread tomorrow morning.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Answer me, jimmy. Are you comparing these unfortunate people to lice?

No. Cooties refers to germs, not people. I was talking about the Corona Virus, since it origionated in China. I just saw your response now, sorry for the slow reply.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Really. That's what you meant?

"Cooties" aren't germs. "Cooties" is century-old slang for lice.

You watch what you post in this forum. Those reports indicate people died when their houses collapsed from flooding. Old people. Children. They died from thousands of pounds of debris crushing them, or from suffocating with mud in their lungs. What ever did they do to you? Not a damn thing.

I suggest that any thread in which you see posts from me- you read those posts and you understand what they mean before you type the first word, or, one day, you're really going to regret it.

I don't believe what you're telling me. Simple as that. But, if you want to play the part of myopic dolt rather than callous jackass, I suppose that's up to you.

The thread can now proceed, and I suggest to anyone posting in this thread to watch what they say about these people. No high-ranking members of the Chinese government were in those villages. These were just people like you and me. Behave accordingy.