SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Under the pressure for teams to change their names, how would you -- as a fan -- react?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Under the pressure for teams to change their names, how would you -- as a fan -- react? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Being born and raised in Cols OH I am following with disgust what the Cleveland Indians are contemplating.

I read that Cleveland is debating on changing the name because the name "Indians" could be deemed racist.

Hmm. So if they consider that racist then all that EEO garbage I have to sift through when filling out an application is racist then.

Aren't the choices: White, black, American Indian etc..

Growing up in Columbus I was a die in the wool Reds fan but also followed the Yankees because we had the Columbus Clippers which was the farm team but I still kepts tabs on the team up North.

Now my other half grew up in a suburb of Cleveland and has been an Indians fan all of her life and she finds it disgusting.

I lump this in the same category as the Chief Wahoo emblem. It is not the Native Americans who have a problem with it ( I believe) it is SJW who have nothing better to do than cause problem instead of paying their dam cable bill

This same type of things has been happening for years. I remember reading an article about the Reds which I pasted part of it below.

In April 1953, the Reds announced a preference to be called the "Redlegs", saying that the name of the club had been "Red Stockings" and then "Redlegs". A newspaper speculated that it was due to the developing political connotation of the word 'red' to mean Communism.[5] From 1956 to 1960, the club's logo was altered to remove the term "REDS" from the inside of the "wishbone C" symbol. The "REDS" reappeared on the 1961 uniforms, but the point of the C was removed, leaving a smooth, non-wishbone curve. The traditional home-uniform logo was restored in 1967.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
I have no issues with Warriors, Chiefs, Tribe, etc.

I seem to be on the opposite side of many in this thread, but Redskins needs to go. Same with characters like Chief Wahoo.

Does this also go for middle and high schools that are on reservations or in very high density Native American populations that have teams named Redskins? Would you force your opinion on them as well or only on the one team?

You have me twisted. I’m not forcing my opinion on anyone, I’m not boycotting anything, and I am not actively working to get the name changed.

I’m simply saying in this thread about the topic, that we probably should not have team nicknames of something you would not call an Indian in the street.

I don't have you 'twisted' you said it needed to go. While not actively working to get it changed, you expressed the desire for it to be changed. I said there are a number of majority Native American schools that use the name, and that there is no support for a name change among the NA population, in fact they see it as a source of pride that our nation's Capital's team is named in honor of them.

I'm curious why you think it should change, and if that desire extends to NA schools as well or just this one particular team.

Personally I'd be willing to accept a change, if it was shown to be offensive to NA people, but not if it's just people being offended because they are offended in place of the NA people. So far the only evidence that's it's offensive comes from a bunch of Karen's and a very, very small subset of NA people with questionable ties to any tribe.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
I find the Vikings and Celtics team names offensive.

I took the DNA spit test, I am about half Viking/Celtic. I would like reparations paid to help me heal from the offense. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
The only team I have left is Alabama Crimson Tide. . . .

Sidenote to Bama. My wife and I did volunteer work in Tuscaloosa for 18 mos, worked mostly with UofA students, lived less a mile from the stadium. All of our grandchildren have Roll Tide T-shirts/hats/stuff.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy, except for little league DONE with all sports!

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 546 | Registered: December 14, 2005Report This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
All major league sports are equally pathetic. I honestly don't know if I will be able to watch any of them.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If Vthoky wants me to remove my post ,
I'd be happy to remove it,
Or
If the mods feel that it's
beyond any semblance of an
acceptable perspective,
Again
I'd pull it in a heartbeat.

The o.p. asked for opinions,

He did not ask for only opinions that agreed his specific
views or sentiments.

My apologies to all of the members here whose sole purpose in life is to have ( or believe ) that the entire country has to be their way.

It's a good thread topic, like many threads that get started ,
There is bound to be differing
opinions on a subject.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Modern day savage,
If my posts disrupt any aspect of
your viewing pleasure on the forum
please feel free to add me to your ignore list.

Until this c o v i d crap started
I had one member on my ignore list
( In 15 years)
now I have 6.

I guess the rough times are taking their toll on people.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Pro sports teams will all soon have names like "The Amorphous Blobs". Owners will struggle to come up with names that don't offend anyone and will resort to silly names that describe nothing.

I've already pretty much moved away from watch professional team sports. This will just continue pushing me away.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Report This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
If Vthoky wants me to remove my post ,
I'd be happy to remove it,

Bendable, I've got no grouch here. No worries, man.

I started the thread with a specific set of conditions and questions, knowing the discussion would "evolve" as most do. You've not offended me; your points about the drunks and the gamblers are likely not far off base.

-------

quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
VTHoky doesn’t have to worry because no ancestors of the Hokies have come forward to announce that they have been insulted by the name. Good going, VT!

Great thing about made-up names, right, Dr. T? Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
teams in the nfl to be named solely by the city in which they headquarter

Not entirely a bad idea....

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep para’s health In mind. We don’t need to work him up. Thanks all.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Fuck em... keep the name, lose the logo, put a fucking potato on the side of the helmet.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the camels nose under the tent. They start with being offended by team names. Confederate flags. Then it's one time slave owners and national monuments. Then it's maple syrup, ice cream, butter labels, rice......

It'll never end and you'll never please everyone. I live in Washington State- Where's the outrage? If you have "Free Speech"- You're going to offend someone. We're guaranteed Rights under our Founding Documents- the right to not be offended isn't one of them.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You would think the Injuns and everyone else would look at the name Redskins as a badge of honor?
Why would anyone name a team for a group they think is beneath them?
Makes no sense.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I just decided to check into this again I had a thought. What should the Tampa Bay Lightning change their name to? Something not offensive to storms? Maybe the Phillies? Offensive to horses? Tennessee Titans? Offensive to Greek Gods? Tampa Bay Buccaneers? Offensive to some group of Pirates? Kansas City Royals offensive to peasants? New York Yankees offensive to damn Yankees? Los Angeles Angels offensive to atheists? Tampa Bay Rowdies offensive to people that live on valium (calm animals). Nashville Predators offensive to prey? Chicago Red Stars offensive to communists?

How bout we rename democrats cause they are offensive to asses? Maybe we rename liberals as they are offensive to pussies? Maybe we rename BLM to fucking idiots just because...

How about if anyone that is offended by names, places, or anything they simply grow the fuck up, or just shove their heads further up their own asses and go to hell....

Those who forget history are destined to repeat it.

Posts: 385 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 24, 2001Report This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Modern day savage,
If my posts disrupt any aspect of
your viewing pleasure on the forum
please feel free to add me to your ignore list.

Until this c o v i d crap started
I had one member on my ignore list
( In 15 years)
now I have 6.

I guess the rough times are taking their toll on people.

bendable, I have never asked any member to delete a post, and I have never placed any member on my ignore list...and I'm not about to start now.

I am about as far from perfect as one man can be, and I try to remind myself not to expect others to be.

I'm not asking you to remove your post, and I don't believe you should. I'm pointing out that you're behavior has changed, and not for the better.

I'm also pointing that in the negative waves thread you posted memes that seemed to suggest you understood the purpose, the intent, of that thread...and yet, your post in this thread fails to follow the intent of that thread. And your behavior in recent months does as well.

It's not my job to check you...it's your job to check you. If you can't see your own hypocrisy, or your own recent change in behavior then no one else will be able to show it to you either.

You help little old ladies sell their bras and buy health care workers sub sandwiches...
...I believe that, as confused and confusing as you often are, you are a good man. But even good men occasionally need to check themselves.

I'm suggesting that, rather than running your post count up, you post less, read more...and think before you post.

I try (don't always succeed) to find good in people, to find info, interest, inspiration, maybe even a tiny bit or more of wisdom from time to time, and that applies to reading forum posts as well. I'm hoping and open to finding it in something you might post, again, sometime. Smile

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

You have me twisted. <snip>

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I don't have you 'twisted' you said it needed to go. While not actively working to get it changed, you expressed the desire for it to be changed. I said there are a number of majority Native American schools that use the name, and that there is no support for a name change among the NA population, in fact they see it as a source of pride that our nation's Capital's team is named in honor of them.

I'm curious why you think it should change, and if that desire extends to NA schools as well or just this one particular team.

Personally I'd be willing to accept a change, if it was shown to be offensive to NA people, but not if it's just people being offended because they are offended in place of the NA people. So far the only evidence that's it's offensive comes from a bunch of Karen's and a very, very small subset of NA people with questionable ties to any tribe.

Skins,

For as many links you can post showing NA's who approve, I can provide an equal amount of links of NA's who do not approve, and who host protests when the Redskins play.

At the end of the day (and I've already said this one in this thread) Black people call each other the N-word and we don't have teams named after that word; I cannot imagine many of us would use that word towards a black person if they saw them in the street.

I see the word Redskin the same way, If I would not call someone I didn't know by that name, there probably should not be pro teams with that nickname.

I know that I am way out numbered on this opinion and when it comes to forum battles, and I don't care enough about the topic to die on this hill.

To add - After all these years I just 'clicked' that you live in the Virgina area, and with the name "Skins" am assuming you are a Redskins fan? If that is the case, I can get why this topic would be significantly more personal to you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Ronin, we could go round and round on this topic. I'll address two points then drop it because I don't think I'm going to sway you, and it's not of importance to you.

Point one, protesters. I've seen the protesters, at one point I could recognize all of them by their face and what they said, because there were so few that I could recognize them individually.

Second, you equate the N-Word to Redskins, but they are not the same thing, I have never heard in my entire existence heard someone call someone a Redskin either in an endearing or derogatory way. Maybe they do on the reservation, I don't know.

Now I've heard the word nigger and nigga used a bunch of times with the latter pronunciation most often, but 30 years ago you'd hear the former used as a slur quite often. Have you ever heard anyone called a Redskin? Even my wife who was made fun of as a kid because they were too stupid to know there are more than one kind of colored person in Wyoming was called a dirty indian, not a Redskin.

As for the screen name, you are correct. The numbers that follow Skins are my boyhood favorite players numbers Darrell Green (28) and Art Monk (81).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My university Alma Mater got the double whammy kick in the nuts...name change AND mascot change.

I graduated from Northeast Louisiana University or, NLU. Some years later, in some botched up SNAFU of renaming state universities, NLU and USL (University of Southwestern Louisiana) got caught up in some power struggle. Consequently, they were the only two state universities that became part of the "University of Louisiana" system...all the other schools backed out. I'm SURE there's a "follow the money" story behind all that somewhere. So my Alma Mater was renamed to University of Louisiana at Monroe or, ULM. NOPE!!! Not gonna happen. I didn't graduate from ULM...I graduated from NLU, by god, and that's what my degree states!!!

Secondarily...in its INFINITE wisdom, the WOKE organization of the NCAA just HAD to express their Social Justice BULLSHIT when they started changing the names of mascots that had a Native American theme. The athletics of my aforementioned Alma Mater was known as the "NLU Indians". The assholes of the NCAA said, "Oh...but 'Indians' is generic and therefore OFFENSIVE. We can't have THAT in a PC world!!" (phukktards). Anyway, NLU officials (it was still NLU at the time) lobbied to the local Ouachita (pronounced WAH-shi-tah) Tribal Council to not have the heritage of the NLU Indian mascot erased from history. The Ouachita Tribal Council agreed, and wrote the NCAA asking, in fact pleading with them to not change the mascot. The NCAA, in all their WOKE glory, would not relent and changed the mascot to "Warhawks". What utter, PC, Leftarded BULLSHIT.

To conclude, the "ULM Warhawks" haven't seen one penny of alumni contribution from this household. More so for NLU being changed to ULM than anything else. "Warhawk" just added the icing on the proverbial bullshit cake.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'll try this -- I've turned off professional sports as they are professionals (duh). Just as soon watch other professionals work ie garbage collelstors and wallmart stockers.

Dont with womens soccer too -- can't stand for my country, can't stand them.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Report This Post