SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Under the pressure for teams to change their names, how would you -- as a fan -- react?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Under the pressure for teams to change their names, how would you -- as a fan -- react? Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Fuck the NFL and all of its gutless owners who have emboldened these thugs for years by cowtowing to their social justice bullshit. I'm a football fan, but swore off the NFL years ago when the kneeling nonsense started. I had always thought the NFL was patriotic, but then learned the US Military paid the NFL to be patriotic so that was the final nail in the coffin.

In other words, this asshattery won't change anything for me. However, if the Redskins were my team I wouldn't spend a dime on new hats, shirts, jackets, etc. and would keep wearing my old stuff.

Other than an old Redskin ball cap, I don't have any of their team gear. Years ago, one of my co-workers was putting together a large order for retro throw-back jerseys. I tried to get in on the group buy, but missed out...sure do wish I had found a source for the old jerseys because I'd wear an old Redskin jersey for no other reason than to tick off the Virtue Signalers.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Just call them Washington "Suck a Lot".

Snyder has destroyed what was a great franchise. The NFL is destroying football as a whole.

BTW what is it with Washinton teams and renaming. The Wizards used to be the Bullets. Then someone realized how dangerous bullets where Roll Eyes as DC residence were killing each other left and right. Somehow the name bullets was the issue...

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:

I remember as a child going to a Milwaukee Braves vs Brooklyn Dodgers game. The name changes did not bother me much.
One of those name changes really did bother me. I have not watched a major league baseball game ever since they were no longer the Brooklyn Dodgers.

I was born in Brooklyn. My uncle lived across the street from Ebbets Field. I can't count the number of Dodgers games that I saw, and I listened to them on the radio when I couldn't go. Jackie Robinson was one of my heroes when I was a kid.

I was in high school the year that the Dodgers won the series. The streets in Brooklyn were flowing with beer, you could have navigated in a canoe! Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Since so many of the stadiums are named after products as well as the College Bowl games, how about product names for teams. You know like the Washington MR.Pibbs. Using the names of rodents would be acceptable as well.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Of all the petty shit to fret, bicker and rant over,
this has got to be the absolute limit.

The drunks can beat their wives ,regardless of what the teams are named.

The gamblers don't give a kick in the nuts about what names are on the scoreboard.

If all a guy has to do is cry about team names,
It might very well be time to consider a 72 hour self imposed visit to the local mental facility

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I just can't stand watching pro sports on any kind. They are overpaid and so impressed with themselves it makes me sick. If I watch sports at all it will be college, they play for the love of the game and the girls and most are true sportsmen.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I have no issues with Warriors, Chiefs, Tribe, etc.

I seem to be on the opposite side of many in this thread, but Redskins needs to go. Same with characters like Chief Wahoo.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
The only professional sport I watch is baseball. I used to be a hardcore Redskins fan but after Dan Snyder finagled his way into owning the team, and then ran it into a ditch, I gave up. My comment for the past few years is that the team should just change the logo to a potato, because the team has played like spuds for the past twenty years.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The only people I want to hear from on the side of changing team names are Native Americans. BLM and "woke" whites have no standing in this.

My ex wife is Latina (not Latinx) and was really annoyed about a particular minatory group that always tries to control the dialog on issues they have nothing to do with, and also to assume her political and social views based only on her ethnicity.

We went through the elimination of Chief Illiniwek at U of IL, even though the Native Americans that made the Chief's clothing and headdress and taught each new Chief how to perform their ceremonial dance were absolutely fine with it as long as it was done respectfully and following their traditions. They did not want to be erased.

Other than that, the NFL allowed their players to disrespect the flag and all who died to ensure their and our freedom. They opened the door and now they are being overrun by the "woke". Good, hope they like it, and hope they learn the reality of "giving an inch, and taking a foot".

Actually I changed my mind. Screw the NFL, I hope they have to change every team name that even one "woke" person is offended by. If that means no Redskins, no Patriots, no Raiders, good. And gotta get rid of the SF 49'ers because that was a bunch of white people that stole Native American gold in California.

I really hope the cancel culture of eating their own teaches people that the path of appeasement never ends.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Report This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
An incredible display of racism is the current agenda which demands that no products have as their spokesperson any person of color. Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben, and many other persons of color have been eliminated as spokespersons simply because they are persons of color.

Now we're discriminating against them in the naming of our sports teams. Soon, we'll be changing the names of our streets in our ghettos from "Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd." to some white person's name.

We haven't seen discrimination like this for close to a century in this country.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I have no issues with Warriors, Chiefs, Tribe, etc.

I seem to be on the opposite side of many in this thread, but Redskins needs to go. Same with characters like Chief Wahoo.

Does this also go for middle and high schools that are on reservations or in very high density Native American populations that have teams named Redskins? Would you force your opinion on them as well or only on the one team?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Fuck the NFL

+1

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Report This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I just don't care. This plandemic has proved that a lot of people can work from home and can get along just fine without sports on the tube.

I don't know if "plandemic" was a typo or intentional but it's effin' BRILLIANT. It has just become my preferred term for this horseshit.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15223 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
Why not use something with staying power so the woke masses don't have to demand a change every decade:
Red Stars
Hammers and Cycles
People's Liberation Team
Anti Bourgeoisies
Team Antifa

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The call for name change WILL NOT stop at the Redskins. It's just the opening salvo. So my answer would be a resounding "NO"!

That being said, the teams apparent cow towing to the mob of Karens calling for this leads me to believe this would be a good new name for them:

St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
The NFL should issue a press release stating the the name changes will go into effect when the Detroit Lions win the super bowl. I think the term when hell freezes over will happen alot sooner. Smile

Posts: 5301 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't watch football, so don't really have a dog in this show. However, I have read a number of polls that indicate that Native Americans are not hugely upset about the "Redskins" name, and that a lot of them approve of it (consider it an honor). Therefore, I support keeping the current name.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Skins, I figured I knew where you stood on this one. Glad to hear from you.

Edmond: you're exactly right. I had the same discussion with a friend this morning. Those who are demanding the changes generally have no skin in the game at all.

Silent: "to control the language is to control us." Can't deny that a bit, sir.

Artie S: "I don't like doing anything under pressure." That sums up a lot of things, very well.

MDS: "Theismann/ Riggins/ Washington/ Monk/ Manley/ Mosely". Heck yeah, man.

Kenpoist: a very good point you make.

Tatortodd: you got right to the point. Exactly what I was after.

Fpuhan, if we could make that image into an actual flag, I'd fly it all through football season! That goes for you, too, mbinky.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Quit watching after the kneeling. I like sports and want to watch but I'm not doing that when they bow to woke culture, bad enough all the encouragement of thug life. They shouldn't change the name and they should tell those asking to go scratch.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6966 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Changing the name is plain wrong!

It won't matter much though as there won't be any true American Fans left for football after all the anti-American shit goes down with the first game back.

We will all say fuck you and leave.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post