SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend me a head lamp
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend me a head lamp Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
As in a flashlight that straps to my head so it points where I look. A rechargeable battery is preferred. I don't need multiple brightness settings, strobes and other extras. This may sound odd and also may be a tall order because everything is these days, but I'd rather it not be LED. The light from LEDs is actually, for my purposes, too bright and white, producing glare. I would rather have a softer light like from a fluorescent.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3447 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kadin
posted Hide Post
This is a really good one, unfortunately out of stock at the moment.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 1848 | Location: Carrollton, TX | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i have several. My favorite at the moment is a cheap Stansport. feels like quality. operated great. Switch is good. Just works. Hi, lo and strobe.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Probably going to be a bit difficult getting a headlamp that's not LED; you could get a lower power LED headlamp and try to figure out how to diffuse the output...scratch the lens maybe???

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
[strike]Probably going to be a bit difficult getting a headlamp that's not LED; [/strikeyou could get a lower power LED headlamp and try to figure out how to diffuse the output...scratch the lens maybe???]

This.

Just buy one of the $10 ones on Home Depot impulse isle at checkout. Still will be LED, but not super bright.

FWIW I use this one. It can go down to 10 or 55 lumen, but it's bright white in color.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy 4 of these and put them where you need them
http://www.harborfreight.com/s...-headlamp-62614.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
You didn't state the use, or if you had tried any yet.

I got an LED one at Lowes and mostly like it. LED will generally buy you longer battery life.
But I understand if thats not you cup o tea.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

Whats wrong with this one by Western Safety? Its incandescent, swivel head, and can use rechargable batteries. It also summons Batman, as if you werent already impressed...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3447 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have a Fenix HP15 headlamp, and am really impressed with it (just as high quality as their flashlights). However, it is the opposite of what the OP is looking for.

Fenix has a couple options that would work for the OP:
  • lowpower LED headlamp Model HL-05. It is a max 8 lumens, and you get 50 hours out of two 2032 button batteries.
  • Low powered and rechargeable - use two rechargeable AAAs and run this headlamp, HL-15, at its low 4 lumen setting.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    You didn't state the use, or if you had tried any yet.

Auto repair, looking into tight and close spaces, for example under a dashboard, so I don't have to hold a light in one hand, leaving both hands free.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Persian
    Picture of PPGMD
    posted Hide Post
    I don't know how the beam is on the newer Surefire Saints are, but the older style have a adjustable (using a friction type switch) very diffuse beam. They built it mostly for close range tasks.

-------
    A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
    "King in the north!"
    "Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    You could get something like this: https://www.fenixoutfitters.co...flashlight-headband/ and use whatever flashlight and battery combo you want that will fit in the holder.

Fenix also sells a diffuser that might help with the brightness problem: https://www.fenixoutfitters.co...light-diffuser-lens/

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Yokel
    Picture of ontmark
    posted Hide Post
    I use this one.

The wide angle really is a wide angle and great for in the dash work. It also softens the light real well.

Easy to wear even with glasses or goggles.

https://www.amazon.com/Streaml...adlamp/dp/B00N2GY2UI

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
    posted Hide Post
    Ozark brand from wal mart. Cheap and well made.

It has the usual spot light beam but it also has a floodlight mode which I really like. Both modes have a low and a high setting so you can have a softer light on low.

It also has an option that will automatically detect when something gets up close to the light and dim it. I have this turned out but may be good for the OP's purpose.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
    -Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nosce te ipsum
    Picture of Woodman
    posted Hide Post
    Variable output LED for me. The batteries last forever.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks to all who replied. Smile

quote:
    Originally posted by ontmark:
    I use this one.

Winner. Ordered.

posted Hide Post
    zebralight - barely bigger in dia than an AA & only 1/2" longer. variable brightness.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Ripley
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SpinZone:
    Ozark brand from wal mart. Cheap and well made.

It has the usual spot light beam but it also has a floodlight mode which I really like. Both modes have a low and a high setting so you can have a softer light on low.

It also has an option that will automatically detect when something gets up close to the light and dim it. I have this turned out but may be good for the OP's purpose.

A very nice piece. I tried a couple cheapie others, this one is so much better in every regard. I'll note beyond it's lighting functions, very comfortable and secure.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gen...or-Headlamp/29295368

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post