SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New guy needing advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New guy needing advice Login/Join 
posted
Hi all! I’m new to the forum and glad I joined. I wanted y’alls advice about a few things. First off I was in the market for a Beretta 92 when I saw a few adds for used sigs... the price seemed decent so I decided to give it a shot. I originally looked at the 226 new but the price deterred me. Anyway, Its a CPO Sig p226 9mm and I paid $570. Had to pay another 25$ for shipping though. Does this seem like a decent price? I’ve only seen one cheaper at 499.00 but I was too slow adding to cart. Also I’ve never even knew a CPO firearm existed. Can someone explain the process? I know Sig replaces/refinished and checks for functionality, but are these super old guns or newer trade in’s? Mix match of all the above? Can all sigs become CPOs? Thanks for any input. Ps it should be coming Tuesday so I’ll post pics when it arrives.

Posts: 25 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SF.

CPO SIGs can be anything. From almost new/unfired to some crappy stuff. Can be all original, but more often than not, they are parts guns. Many are also refinished. But, one thing is the same across the board is that they are under warranty from SIG for 1 year for the original CPO purchaser.

Btw, the CPO P226 in 9 for $570 is a fair deal. In .40, not so much, however. IMO.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
My take is a bit different from our respected Q when it comes to Sig factory CPO pistols.

I like them. Think they can be an amazing buy. I have never seen a beat up Sig CPO. I have bought a couple. Usually they are very nice. They used to come with a red band around the grip. Did yours?

Yours is nice I am sure too. That price is not great, but not terrible either. So you did ok I would say. But regardless, you have a great pistol. Congrats and welcome.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forum.

Enjoy your new SIG P226. Hopefully the CPO runs towards the almost new side of the spectrum. In which case you paid a fair price, in my opinion.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Welcome! You got a reasonable price for a great gun.

Just so you know 226s, and SIGs in general have a major flaw in their design. They like to multiply, 1 turns into 2, 3, 4, or 5 really quickly. Be careful.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Such a deal!

Every CPO Sig I have seen has been mechanically and cosmetically perfect, at a price much less than new.

You have made a wise decision, in my opinion.

I love my P226 9mm, it is even better with 18 round Mec-Gar flush magazines.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/me...-round-magazine.html

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
You got a good price. Enjoy that pistol, it should serve you well for a long time.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the input! I'm getting pretty excited. Tracking shows it coming Tuesday so i'll post more when I get it. Would like some help identifying SN info etc for when it was made. Do you guys have any modifications you recommend? Different spring, grips, SRT or trigger job work, different hammer or barrel? Thanks

Posts: 25 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I would shoot it and then decide. My CPO 229 is so slick most people think it has had a high end trigger job. Nope. Just very smooth.

I like standard grips better than the E2 grips and Hogue finger groove grips over the factory standard. But I have big hands. Try a bunch at your gun shop and decide.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
CPO = Certified pre owned, is that correct? New to me but I live under a rock much of the time.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes on the CPO. For trigger enhancements, go to GrayGuns.com and peruse the trigger upgrade parts. Doing a self install will save you $, there is no wait for a busy gunsmith to complete the work.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My 229 CPO was a SAS frame that was never sold. No idea why. The slide and barrel looked new but the standard type. They had no info on those parts. The frame serial number was in a different index that they had to look it up in.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
My 229 CPO was a SAS frame that was never sold. No idea why. The slide and barrel looked new but the standard type. They had no info on those parts. The frame serial number was in a different index that they had to look it up in.

I’m new to this, what is SAS?

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
SAS is just a model where they have rounded and smoothed corners. Some other add-on if a complete SAS.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DapperDeeds:

I’m new to this, what is SAS?
SIG Anti Snag.

Corners, sharp edges, etc. are rounded and smoothed. The pistol might originally have been part of a package that includes options such as night sights and SRT (Short Reset Trigger).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
T Would like some help identifying SN info etc for when it was made.Thanks

This might help ya:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1130042554

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think you made a decent purchase.... personally I've never found or really ever looked for that magical really great gun at a very low price....

one of the truths in life is you get what you pay for.

Personally, from my limited experience with Sigs... A P226 new or used will or at least should live with you forever...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Welcome!

The SAS or SIG Anti-Snag treatment involves rounding corners and in some case flatter controls. I have never noticed problems with the standard versions snagging on things or having sharp edges, but I’ve never had a SAS, so what do I know. Smile

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
quote:
T Would like some help identifying SN info etc for when it was made.Thanks

This might help ya:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1130042554

Good stuff, Thanks! Would Sig have information on where the gun, or parts, came from?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Welcome to SF.

CPO SIGs can be anything. From almost new/unfired to some crappy stuff. Can be all original, but more often than not, they are parts guns. Many are also refinished. But, one thing is the same across the board is that they are under warranty from SIG for 1 year for the original CPO purchaser.

Btw, the CPO P226 in 9 for $570 is a fair deal. In .40, not so much, however. IMO.

I've seen your posts in this forum before and you seem pretty keen on these firearms. I received mine in today and it looks pretty good. It was very dry though which is weird to me. I thought CPO Sig's usually came in a grease/oil. Anyway, The SN on the frame is 47E02XXXX. If you need the last four i'll provide. The slide itself has a few markings. AK 11 and then underneath that 1023. The slide also has a short extractor not the long one. Is there a difference here and if so what? The barrel has nothing other than a SIG SAUER stamp with a C in the corner. Any help is appreciated.