SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any tips for baseboard installation?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any tips for baseboard installation? Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Scarf joints: Should be 15 degrees (22.5 will do) but not 45 degrees. 45 has too much overlap and a sharp, exposed edge: especially with vinyl coated MDF . Same angle with any running trim.

I actually agree, and I think the photo I referenced showed a 22.5 degree angle. Stronger.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
If you have a run longer than your material, make the splice with 90 deg matching cuts, glue and pin over a stud.

I prefer making a scarf joint when you have to splice a long run. It is simply an inside and an outside miter cut lapped together, over a stud. Also, nails that go in on a slight angle tend to stay better than nails that go straight in. Nail slightly upwards for the top nail, and slightly downwards for the bottom nail into the stud. A nail or brad gun makes this job a whole lot easier.

Hey that's what I was lamely describing but didn't know what to call it. Do that over a stud. Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Screw trying to cope. Unless you know what you're doing with that, it takes forever and it's really not needed.

Always join two pieces in a less conspicuous area, not in the center of the room.

Small mistakes will stick out like a billboard to you, but others really won't notice them.

Use a power mitre saw.

Coping compensates for wacky walls...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Screw trying to cope. Unless you know what you're doing with that, it takes forever and it's really not needed.

Always join two pieces in a less conspicuous area, not in the center of the room.

Small mistakes will stick out like a billboard to you, but others really won't notice them.

Use a power mitre saw.

That's what wood filler is for. Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed, coping is easy. Just miter the end, and then cope back the top profile with a coping saw.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
When using a brad nailer keep the hand holding the board against the wall at least 6" away from where you nail. Sometimes the brad can hit a nail and or a knot in the wood and jump right back out of the baseboard. Several people had nailed thier support hand.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post