SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any tips for baseboard installation?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any tips for baseboard installation? Login/Join 
posted
I'm replacing some baseboard this weekend. I've never done this. It seems simple enough but I thought I'd hit up the braintrust to see if any of you have any tips or product suggestions.

Thanks!

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Wood trim, electric, or hot water?

If you've never done it, do you have any tools?

Is it on the floor, or in the floor?

Why are you replacing it?

Do you need tips, or instructions?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Are you using a hand saw with miter box and hammer or electric compound miter saw with a nail brad gun?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Cope the inside miters. Focus on outside miter joinery. Glue and pin the outside joinery. Yes, you can fill with caulk, but relying heavily on it will net you a sloppy looking job. Find the studs and nail to them. If you have a run longer than your material, make the splice with 90 deg matching cuts, glue and pin over a stud. Try to mate the profile so you have as little sanding to do as possible. Other than that, Measure twice, cut once. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You need tools,you need to cope you joints,trim nailer would be nice but you can do with a hammer and finish nails plus a center punch to set nails.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If in doubt, pre-drill your holes. Nothing like spending time on a perfect joint and then splitting the piece.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Measure lots, cut once!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Measure, cut and nail each piece completely in place one at a time rather than tacking and moving on to the next piece and then coming back to finish nail it all. This should prevent gaps on the inside corners.

Ask me how I Know that!

(Amateur here as well!!)

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Get some knee pads, you are going to need them! They really do help a lot when you are on your knee's all day.

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
Here's my tip, don't put a nail through a water pipe inside the wall. Don't ask how I know.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Painters caulk. $1.49 a tube. Smeared into the cracks by finger, smoothed with wet finger.

My motto Caulk and paint make this carpenter what he ain't.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
If you have a run longer than your material, make the splice with 90 deg matching cuts, glue and pin over a stud.

I prefer making a scarf joint when you have to splice a long run. It is simply an inside and an outside miter cut lapped together, over a stud. Also, nails that go in on a slight angle tend to stay better than nails that go straight in. Nail slightly upwards for the top nail, and slightly downwards for the bottom nail into the stud. A nail or brad gun makes this job a whole lot easier.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by }BuLL:
Here's my tip, don't put a nail through a water pipe inside the wall. Don't ask how I know.

Or an A/c freon line.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
If you have a run longer than your material, make the splice with 90 deg matching cuts, glue and pin over a stud.

I prefer making a scarf joint when you have to splice a long run. It is simply an inside and an outside miter cut lapped together, over a stud.

Agree 100%, I also add wood glue to the scarf joint and it will never pull or gap apart. I don't do the joint over a stud and have no problem due to using the glue. Nothing wrong with doing to over a joint just a little more effort and more material waste.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Screw trying to cope. Unless you know what you're doing with that, it takes forever and it's really not needed.

Always join two pieces in a less conspicuous area, not in the center of the room.

Small mistakes will stick out like a billboard to you, but others really won't notice them.

Use a power mitre saw.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If using an electric miter saw, make sure the blade is set 90 degrees straight up and down. Make a couple of 45 degree cuts on piece of scrap 2X4 and ensure the edge is square. Also found it is much better to prime/paint before you cut and install. Using a small 2" foam roller make the job much faster and neater.

Posts: 264 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely prime it before installing. I know some who paint first too, but I don't. I like scarf joints with glue much better than butt joints on long runs. Most base comes long enough that you can use one piece but if you have to splice, do it behind a door or furniture. I use wood filler for nail holes--overfill it slightly and than sand lightly with a foam block once it's dried--I think it looks better than caulk which tends to shrink when it dries and leaves a little dimple. I use the squeeze tubes of latex caulk between the base and wall rather than the big tubes and a caulk gun. Much easier to control and any leftover caulk in the big tubes ends up useless anyway. If you plan ahead you can wind up with very little waste.

Are you going to use 1/4 round to transition the baseboard to the flooring? If so, use a piece of paper folded in half to space the 1/4 round up from the floor. You can then slide a piece of paper under the molding when you paint - much faster than trying to cut the edge or taping it off.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Screw trying to cope. Unless you know what you're doing with that, it takes forever and it's really not needed.

I only cope inside corners that are way out of square and I don't feel like messing with odd angles. Check your corners with a square before starting to see if this is a problem.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Scarf joints: Should be 15 degrees (22.5 will do) but not 45 degrees. 45 has too much overlap and a sharp, exposed edge: especially with vinyl coated MDF . Same angle with any running trim.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, watch a few YouTube videos and you'll be good to go.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post