SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Georgia nurses laugh as 89-year-old WWII veteran dies gasping for air in video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Georgia nurses laugh as 89-year-old WWII veteran dies gasping for air in video Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
This makes my blood boil. Human filth.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/geo...9-old-152050125.html

Hidden footage from 2014 shows the disturbing moment a group of nurses laughed as a World War II veteran repeatedly called for help and died.

The family of 89-year-old James Dempsey of Woodstock, Georgia, installed a hidden camera in his room at the Northeast Atlanta Health and Rehabilitation Center when he first moved in, fearing mistreatment.

The camera later captured the night he died.

RELATED: Click through some of the most outrageous crimes

The video showed Dempsey calling for help, even telling the nurses that he couldn't breathe at one point. It also showed nurses laughing as his breathing machine failed.

Dempsey's family initially thought the decorated veteran passed from natural causes. But after reviewing the footage, what Dempsey's family saw sparked a three-year legal battle.

According to WXIA-TV, the Dempsey family declined to comment on the case or video, citing a settlement with the nursing home.

However, the local station managed to obtain the footage after a DeKalb County Judge ruled to unseal the clip.

SEE ALSO: Hospital employees under fire for calling newborn 'mini Satan' and making baby dance to rap music

It wasn't until after the outlet sent a link to the footage of the incident to The Georgia Board of Nursing that the two nurses surrendered their licenses.

WXIA also reported that records show the nursing home has continued to have problems, including $813,000 in Medicare fines dating back to 2015. The station reported the institution received a good inspection report earlier this year, but still holds a one-star rating from Medicare.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Get a rope

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I saw this, and it made me really upset. The vet deserved a lot better. It's beyond my understanding how someone would feel it OK to stand by while someone needed help.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
MFers. That is horrible. I hope they lose everything.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time for a firing squad. We do not need this type of animal walking amoung us.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
disgusting

but why did it take 3 years for this video to surface...

everyone involved needs to be charged with murder at the very least, or make it aggravated so that the death penalty comes into play

change of venue if necessary

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks criminally prosecutable to me....

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...ruggles-for-air.html

Murder charge filed in fallout from video that shows nurses laughing as dying WWII vet struggles for air

Two nurses and an aide were indicted Wednesday in the death of an elderly patient, World War II veteran James Dempsey, who died pleading for help while in their care, WXIA-TV reported.

Dempsey’s family, of Woodstock, Ga., hid a camera in the late veteran’s room in the Northeast Atlanta Health and Rehabilitation Center which captured the night he died.

The video showed the decorated U.S. Navy veteran repeatedly calling for help, saying he could not breathe. It also showed the nurses failing to take life-saving measures and laughing as they tried to start an oxygen machine.

The channel reported that Brookhaven Police launched an investigation and on Wednesday a grand jury returned an indictment.

Loyce Pickquet Agyeman’s top charge is felony murder; Wanda Nuckles, a nursing supervisor, is charged with depriving an elder of essential services and Mable Turman is charged with neglect to an elder, the report said. Warrants were issued for their arrests.

The nursing home’s attorneys attempted to stop media news outlet WXIA-TV from getting the video, but a DeKalb County judge ruled to unseal the footage.

Nuckles told Dempsey’s family lawyers in the deposition that when she learned the veteran had stopped breathing, she rushed to his room and took over CPR, keeping it up until paramedics arrived, WXIA-TV reported.

However, the secret video showed that nobody was doing CPR when she arrived, and she did not start immediately. After the attorneys showed Nuckles the video, she told them it was an honest mistake, based on her normal reactions.

When the attorneys asked why Nuckles was laughing, she said she did not remember.

WXIA-TV reported the nursing home was told of the video in 2015 but did not terminate the nurses until 10 months later. Nuckles and another nurse did not surrender their licenses until this September, when the Georgia Board of Nursing was sent a link to the video by the news station.

Records showed the nursing home continued to have problems, including $813,000 in Medicare fines since 2015, WXIA-TV reported. It said the nursing home got a good inspection report in May, but still has Medicare's lowest score, a one-star rating.

Posts: 19565 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Damn! Just damn

Seems to me that a bunch of people at that shit hole, so called, hospital need to be introduced to a rope and lamp post.

One cannot even call them animals. Animals do not take joy in watching others suffer and die.

But, IMO, very little actual serious punishment will actually happen. Our legal system has become so corrupted that justice is no longer part of the equation.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That is fucked up.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you how many nursing homes I have been to over the years in order to get a pt. in quite a few counties here in Fl. but the staff does everything but nurse. If you or a family member has to go to one,it is never a good thing. Unfortunately, nursing care is not what you get. The only guarantee of nursing you get is in the name. There are some good people who work there,I don't want to make it all sound bad but that is mostly what I see.

Posts: 6874 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This doesn't apply to all nurses, but there is a reason certain nurses work in nursing homes. They see it as a easy job where they don't have to do much.

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
This doesn't apply to all nurses, but there is a reason certain nurses work in nursing homes. They see it as a easy job where they don't have to do muc

I work in a nursing home. There are nurses who care, work their asses off, stay late and go above and beyond what is expected.

There are nurses who do work but don't do anything too out of the ordinary.

Then there are the ones who shouldn't be trusted with the care of human beings. They are on their phone for 45min, can't take a cue as to when a patient should receive PRN meds, and do the absolute bare minimum.

It's like any other career.

Engineers
Doctors
Truck drivers
Teachers
carpenters

there are some who are excellent, most are average, and some are complete shitheads

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
My father is 89 yrs old. He will be 90 next month. He is still as sharp as a tack! He still works as an accountant, still drives, does the grocery shopping for my mother and himself, etc. He is as self-sufficient as any of us on this forum.

Last year, he fell down the stairs in his home and was rushed to the hospital. He had a broken neck. With a little surgery and about 4 months to recover, he is now back to doing everything he used to!

Imagine if the nursing staff at the hospital where he was rushed to by ambulance had the staff that this poor WWII veteran had!

If I was the son of that vet, I'd be so pissed, I wouldn't be able to see straight.

ETA: My Dad is a vet, too. He was in during the Korean war.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post