SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    There Are No Oppressed People in America
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There Are No Oppressed People in America Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Townhall.com
John Hawkins
October 1, 2017

There are American women in my Twitter feed who think they are more oppressed than women in Saudi Arabia. I. Can't. Even." -- John Podhoretz

Never before have so many claimed to be so oppressed and mistreated over so little as Americans in 2017.

We have men who have gotten extraordinarily wealthy and famous playing a game who protest the flag of the nation that put them not just in America’s wealthiest 1%, not just in the global 1%, but in the historical 1% of everyone who has ever lived.

We have pampered college students at expensive private schools having hissy fits because someone they disagree with is allowed to speak at an event on campus they’re not even required to attend.

We’re told Hispanic Americans are oppressed because foreign Latinos who came to this country illegally when they knew the penalty was deportation are not universally being allowed to get away with their crime.

We have feminists who think they’re oppressed because some guy “mansplained” something to them by finally giving his opinion after listening to them blather on for 10 minutes.

We have black Americans who live in bad neighborhoods, think the cops target them because of their race, can't find a job and are mired in poverty who keep voting for exactly the same government officials to be in charge of their neighborhood. If they’re "oppressed," they’re active participants in their own oppression.

Republicans were not oppressed because Obama was in office. Democrats are not oppressed because Donald Trump is in office. White supremacists aren’t oppressed because of Black Lives Matter. Black Americans aren’t oppressed because of made-up claims that the police are gunning for them that aren’t supported by the data or because someone, somewhere said the n-word. Women aren’t oppressed because of a non-existent patriarchy. Men aren’t oppressed because of angry feminists. Asians aren’t oppressed. Jews aren’t oppressed. Muslims aren’t oppressed. Conservatives aren’t oppressed. Liberals aren’t oppressed.

The only Americans that are actually discriminated against by the government these days are white Americans who are victimized by Affirmative Action. Is that un-American and wrong? Absolutely, but even the relatively small number of people victimized by that policy are getting other jobs and going to other colleges if they’re hustling. So, they’re not oppressed. This country has problems, issues and things to work on, but this is as good as it gets in the real world right now. That’s why few people leave this country and millions try to get in every year.

Do you realize the stunning level of self-absorption and self-deception that it takes to believe you’re oppressed in America? Real oppression is women in Saudi Arabia getting to drive for the first time in 2017. Oppression is worrying that you may be jailed in China for speaking out against the government. Oppression is eating your dog in North Korea because the dictator running the country with an iron fist is just fine with you starving to death. Oppression is Christians across the Middle East being systematically murdered because of their religion while their Muslim rulers shrug their shoulders.

It’s also very interesting to take a look at the “leaders” who say you’re oppressed. For the most part, they are the least oppressed people on earth. Typically, they’re politicians, actors, actresses, rock stars or media personalities with lots of money and influence. The more they tell people that the problems in their life aren’t their fault, the more attention, retweets and money they get. Funny how that works.

You think black Americans are oppressed? Compared to what? America a hundred years ago? How about women? How about the poor? Many poor Americans have access to technological and medical advances the richest Americans a hundred years ago would have paid vast fortunes to acquire had it been possible. There are no “Irish Need Not Apply” signs anymore. Asians aren’t being worked to death on the railroads. Little kids aren’t being forced to drop out of school and head to the coal mines. Seventy one percent of the world’s population lives on less than $10 a day and you want to tell me how bad anyone in America has it? Please. Even the homeless panhandlers make more than that here.

There are no oppressed Americans, but there are an awful lot of Americans who are spoiled, bored, need attention or are just looking for any excuse for messing up their own lives. FORTUNATELY, you don’t have the opportunity to be Rosa Parks, MLK or Susan B. Anthony in America because all those people have already done the heavy lifting for you. If you’re an American who wants to fight oppression, you may as well join the military and wait for the next fight against a dictator or terrorist organization overseas because there are no oppressed Americans. However, there are an awful lot of sad, weak people who claim the tiny molehills in front of them are mountains so they can feel better about themselves.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Loved that!!!

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Darn tootin'.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Oppression is America is relative. We are one of the most free societies, but not as free as we were established to be. Creeping oppression is possible because we don't value others' liberty as much as our own. We invent rights that compel others to produce for us uncompensated. We reject or displace consequences of our choices. We deny the value of high moral codes. All of this results in creeping oppression. We are relatively free, but less and less so every year.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Good article.

Reminds me of my SoCal days. I was teaching a Bible Study class and 90% of the group were WASPS who left SoCal about once every 4 years. However, they were convinced they had been persecuted and EVERY example given was some slight from a fellow church member (e.g. so and so said my potluck dish wasn't good). I wasn't very popular when I disagreed with their persecution claims, and told them they're in for a real shock if they're ever actually persecuted (e.g. Beatings, physical torture, confinement, isolation, rape, severe punishment, imprisonment, slavery, discrimination in education and employment, and even death).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My dad has a saying: we don't have poor people in America, we have lazy people...

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Victimhood is the new badge of honor with the left, wealthy especially. At the very top of the heap is Hillary herself, everyone else is to blame. It is sickening to hear celebrities and sports figures shove this shit down the public's throat. Sickening.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
The wealthy and the successful are nestling being enslaved.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
A friend’s two teenagers finally got on his last nerve one day by whining about all the things “we ain’t got.” When dad had enough, he exploded, “Alright, go get in the car. I’m gonna take you over and show you what ‘ain’t got’ looks like.”

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
A friend’s two teenagers finally got on his last nerve one day by whining about all the things “we ain’t got.” When dad had enough, he exploded, “Alright, go get in the car. I’m gonna take you over and show you what ‘ain’t got’ looks like.”

It must have been a long drive.

I lived near Tijuana for decades. There are some “ain’t gots” there, plenty of them.

The prize for “ain’t gots” in my experience has been in Cairo. When I was there in the ‘90’s, my impression was that it made Tijuana look like Beverly Hills.

I don’t think the old beggar who was low bidder for the contract to guide my host and me around the Pyramids and Sphinx had never had $100 in his entire life, nor could he reasonably aspire to. His camel appeared to be even more impoverished than he.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Go to Afghanistan. Takes "ain't got" to a whole new low.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post