SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Virginia Governor election 7 Nov 2017 UPDATE: Virginia may need a coin toss to determine who won a local state House race
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia Governor election 7 Nov 2017 UPDATE: Virginia may need a coin toss to determine who won a local state House race Login/Join 
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Red Virginians often talk about the NoVa and Tidewater areas screwing this state. To give you some perspective I live in Shenandoah County.
Tonight with 100% reporting the figures for this county look like this:

Northam 29.54%

Gillespie 69.25%

Hyra(Libertarian) 1.18%

If you go to this link and scroll through you'll see how sad this really is.

Link

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
My brother in law lives near Manassas. It's completely infected with illegal aliens. The areas around are still nice but there are barios where English is not spoken.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24105 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
My condolences, Virginians. Many of you have your homes, families, and professional lives there, and it is not easy to just pick up and move.

The spawn of the massive Federal bureaucracy has spilled over into N.Virginia. They have high salaries, they don't do shit, and they would vote for a can of beans with a (D). Then there is the underclass in Richmond and other cities who live on the public teat. It's very sad to see this happen to a state that has such a rich and grand history.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^

Yup, that's it in a nutshell. Frown

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a quote from a friend wgo is also a N.E.
Transplant to Virginia. He sums up my distaste with the republican party. Corey was not a great cabdidate either. There were plenty for the republicans to run, vogel would have been an far better choice than corey or ed.

quote:
While many are disappointed in the loss of the governors race, it was not a complete surprise. First races in off years have a low turnout to begin with, add in bad weather and the perfect storm is gaining momentum. Then we add in Ed Gillespie, who first ran for Mark Warners senate seat and lost. Then in the Republican primary for governor, he barely beat Corey Stewart. This alone should have made the party take notice. Then in the race Gillespie tried to distance himself from the president, a bad move to make for the support of the people in rural Virginia. Gillespie also failed to ask the people for their support, did you see him in Hanover? He attended a party at a private home but he never attempted to engage the people here or in other places. If he cannot ask for your vote, people assume he is either not really interested in winning or arrogant. There are many other issues as well but suffice it to say Gillespie lost and the Democrats win another 4 years in the governors mansion. The Republican party in Virginia must take a hard look at where they stand after 2 straight losses for the governors seat. I think the party needs a new chairman to start, wouldn't you agree?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
My brother in law lives near Manassas. It's completely infected with illegal aliens. The areas around are still nice but there are barios where English is not spoken.

Very much the same where I live. I showed my girlfriend pictures from google earth of my neighborhood when we first met 5 years ago, and compared it to what our neighborhood looks like now. It's insane 2-3X the number of cars parked on the sides of the road (many from a neighboring neighborhood with limited parking). Clutter, unkempt yards, cars parked in the yard. There are many four bedroom houses that have been further sub divided to have 7 bedrooms in 1800 sqft home.

Mega laundromats have become a thing here so that all the "tenants" have a place to wash laundry because it's multiple family units living in single family housing.

Unfortunately it's nationalist to mention any of the blight. Just supposed to suck it up and bend over.

Oddly a couple of my favorite neighbors here have been Hispanic in origin but also Americans, those guys here legally and becoming citizens and good members of society and what America is about. The latest crop is bringing their third world counties to my back yard, then sending the fruits of their illegal presence to other countries.

I really fear that this could lead to the Californiacation of Virginia.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Transplant to Virginia. He sums up my distaste with the republican party. Corey was not a great cabdidate either. There were plenty for the republicans to run, vogel would have been an far better choice than corey or ed.

quote:
While many are disappointed in the loss of the governors race, it was not a complete surprise. First races in off years have a low turnout to begin with, add in bad weather and the perfect storm is gaining momentum. Then we add in Ed Gillespie, who first ran for Mark Warners senate seat and lost. Then in the Republican primary for governor, he barely beat Corey Stewart. This alone should have made the party take notice. Then in the race Gillespie tried to distance himself from the president, a bad move to make for the support of the people in rural Virginia. Gillespie also failed to ask the people for their support, did you see him in Hanover? He attended a party at a private home but he never attempted to engage the people here or in other places. If he cannot ask for your vote, people assume he is either not really interested in winning or arrogant. There are many other issues as well but suffice it to say Gillespie lost and the Democrats win another 4 years in the governors mansion. The Republican party in Virginia must take a hard look at where they stand after 2 straight losses for the governors seat. I think the party needs a new chairman to start, wouldn't you agree?

repub party stepped on their dick and we got McAwful,
then they backed up, stepped on their dick again, and we will now have Northam

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

quote:

repub party stepped on their dick and we got McAwful,
then they backed up, stepped on their dick again, and we will now have Northam

I would have went with lopped it off with hedge clippers.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure the Republicans didn't do themselves any favors, but I wonder how much voter fraud was going on in this election to get the GDC the governorship.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
In this case, it looks like demographics and turnout were more than enough.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
It's more than spillover or illegals or a sudden change in the population demographic

I live in Prince William county

All 4 republican delegates that won election (re-election) in 2015, many by wide margins, lost tonight

I know for a fact the demographics of this county did not change significantly in the last two years

The one thing that has is the President

Folks may not want to admit but what we saw tonight is the "Obama effect" is now the "Trump-Obama effect" and unless something changes next year in the midterms it may just get renamed the "Trump effect"

There was near historic turnout today, much greater than years past, and the vast majority of the newbies voted (D)

8 (EIGHT) GOP incumbent delegates have lost. Might lose another 1-4. If it's 3 or 4 it will be the most delegates a party has lost in the history of the state in one election

We didn't get a sudden influx of democrats in the last two years. But a shit ton of them that didn't care about local races before sure as shit do now

It's a fucking bloodbath.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
As much as this sucks for VA, it’s a good warning to the rest of the non-GDCs out there not to take 2018 for granted.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
In this case, it looks like demographics and turnout were more than enough.
See justjoe's post above. That succinctly explains all of this.

I love the Commonwealth of Virginia. Requiescat in pace. Frown

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope so....but everything I see in this thread is people blaming the same old things

NoVA is too blue

Richmond and the Norfolk area

Yeah, maybe that's why the governor and our senators have been blue for a while now

But if you look at the delegate races you will see something much, much more dangerous

And if we don't get ahead of it, 2018 will be bad, but the real disaster will be 2020

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
As much as this sucks for VA, it’s a good warning to the rest of the non-GDCs out there not to take 2018 for granted.

——————————————————

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:

Link

Holy smokes! The areas around me are overwhelmingly red. But the NoVa/Tidewater area jacks it all up.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a fucking bloodbath.

Horrible!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24105 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I would like to see someone devise a disenfranchise lawsuit over urban vs country people.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please, please look deeper than this

What should be alarming people is not that the governorship, or other state-wife seats were won by the democrats. Yes. Those races are dominated and won by the "blue" counties

What should scare the shit out of everyone is the number of incumbent republicans that lost their delegate seats

In my county alone, all 4 republican incumbents lost.....all won by large margins in 2015...2 of the ones that lost had been in the house of delegates for 16+ years..IN A COUNTY AND FROM PRECINCTS THAT VOTED FOR OBAMA TWICE AND CLINTON

The democrats have found their winning strategy.

They poured their money into districts that went for Clinton in the presidency but had republican delegates

And they so far have gained FOURTEEN seats in the house of delegates. The most EVER lost by a party in a single election in this state was 10. They make take the house of delegates that just four years ago WAS A SUPERMAJORITY FOR REPUBLICAN. Republicans have held the house of delegates in this state for 20 years and may lose it tonight

My delegate lost tonight

My precinct went 72% to Romney in 2012

But in the republican primary last year, Ted Cruz was the favored candidate

And in the general election Trump barely carried the precinct

And now tonight the Republican delegate lost

I promise you we didn't all of sudden have a shit ton of democrats move in and republicans move out or die off....

I see people trumpeting the failures of the DNC and pointing to the unraveling of Clinton's campaign and how corrupt they were with Sanders

I have news for you

NONE OF THE DEMOCRATS GIVE A SHIT

It's water under the bridge to them

They are all holding hands, thick as thieves, singing Kumbayah as they use what they see as a fractured and unmotivated republican base

And they are enjoying the shit out of the most motivated their base has been in YEARS...decades even

Someone brought up low turnout in off years. And the bad weather

Guess what...near historical turnout, and they all were voting Democrat

Please...this is deeper than "well, NoVA screwed us again."

There was talk of this being a good barometer for 2018

It had better be a fucking kick in the nuts....

If the midterms go the way the house of delegate races went (not the governor..Gillespie sucked as a candidate) we are fucked

quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
Red Virginians often talk about the NoVa and Tidewater areas screwing this state. To give you some perspective I live in Shenandoah County.
Tonight with 100% reporting the figures for this county look like this:

Northam 29.54%

Gillespie 69.25%

Hyra(Libertarian) 1.18%

Link

——————————————————

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Maybe Virginia needs to split into North and South--after all, West Virginia left a long time ago.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Virginia has always gone democrat as frequently as republican. We aren't turning democrat. We've always been as democrat as republican. This isn't a new phenomena. This isn't a referendum on Trump. This is a normal outcome for Virginia.

Republicans can, and do, win here. The governor we had before McAuliffe was a republican. And we've had republican governors sprinkled into the mix for as long as I can remember.

The reason democrats win so much is because of one thing and one thing only - people that would PREFER a republican governor WON'T VOTE. It's not important enough for them. They can't be bothered. They're too busy. "It's just a governor's race." I've actually seen people on this board (last time we have a Virginia governor's race) write something like, "if we don't have a super, ultra-conservative, so-far-outside-the-mainstream, republican candidate, then I won't vote." And they don't. And this is what we end up with.

I went to the poll yesterday at 7:15 am. I was the only voter there. There were no less than 10 poll workers and when I walked in there was no one there voting and only one car drove past me coming in while I was leaving. And I live in an area where only republicans win.

You can bet your ass that every latino in northern Virginia that takes their vote seriously was at the poll.

People that don't vote and bitch because they didn't get what they want have only to look into the mirror to see why.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post