SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Karma delivers: Murder suspect murdered minutes after release because he didn't get a speedy trial
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Karma delivers: Murder suspect murdered minutes after release because he didn't get a speedy trial Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
The karmic wheel spins fast some times.

quote:
www.MSN.com

A Chicago man accused of murder who beat his case when prosecutors couldn't give him a speedy trial was killed after leaving Cook County Jail on Monday night, according to authorities.

Kamari Belmont, 23, was being held on separate murder and robbery cases stemming from a single night in 2015 in which he was accused of shooting one man during a robbery who later died and robbing another man a couple of hours later.

Cook County prosecutors in January dropped murder charges against Belmont and his co-defendant, Terrance Hogan, 23, after allowing too much time to elapse under the state's speedy trial statute without bringing the case to trial, according to court records and Belmont's attorney. Bail on Belmont's robbery case was set at $100,000 the same day charges were dropped.

A spokeswoman for Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx's office did not respond to a request for comment.

At 5:30 p.m. Monday, a friend of Belmont's posted $10,000 bond. Belmont was released at 11:12 p.m.

Someone pulled alongside him in a white SUV on California Avenue a couple of blocks south of Cook County Jail on Monday night before midnight and started shooting. Belmont was shot multiple times.

The white SUV crashed, and those inside fled, according to police. Belmont collapsed in the street trying to flee and died at the scene.

"Oh, my God, I can't believe it," said Belmont's attorney, Michael Johnson, who said he has known Belmont's family for over two decades. He said he'd seen his client recently at the jail as Belmont's family put together the bail money. Hogan remains locked up.

"I told him, once he gets out he's got to get out of the neighborhood," Johnson said. "Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've seen this."

Johnson said he didn't believe Belmont's killing was street justice. The original armed robbery and murder weren't gang-related, Johnson said, and it wasn't possible word spread that quickly of his client's release from jail.

The man Belmont was accused of killing, Sorrell Marshall, 40, was wounded in a robbery May 1, 2015, and died three weeks later. But after his death, prosecutors chose to indict Hogan and Belmont only on attempted murder and armed robbery charges, according to a motion filed by Hogan's attorneys last fall and later adopted by Belmont.

It wasn't clear why prosecutors waited so long to file murder charges or why the two were still indicted for attempted murder after Marshall died May 23. Marshall's death, however, was not immediately ruled a homicide by the Cook County medical examiner's office, which initially marked the case as pending further investigation.

The two weren't indicted on murder charges until a year later, but the speedy trial clock had already been ticking because the new indictment was based on the same set of facts, the three-page motion said, leaving prosecutors no choice but to drop the charges.

ROSAL

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31378 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I suspect those that kilt him are in need of some karma, too.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Justice overrides incompetence.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
I suspect those that kilt him are in need of some karma, too.

Ditto.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Looks like "Kamari" got karma'd.

What type of fucked up name is that? Sounds like a name for Japanese exotic fish.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Oh, my God, I can't believe it," said Belmont's attorney, Michael Johnson...
Johnson said. "Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've seen this."

Please pick one sir, your confusing your other clients.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
who said he has known Belmont's family for over two decades.

TRANSLATION- I've been defending them in court for over two decades

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
who said he has known Belmont's family for over two decades.

TRANSLATION- I've been defending them in court for over two decades

Beat me by a minute....

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bobbin' and weavin
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that one, or both, of Kamari's victims was affiliated. Big Grin

Posts: 934 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I'm good with this.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kamari

or iKarma, or instant Karma.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Amazed stuff like this doesn't happen more often when a killer or rapist gets out on a technicality and escapes any form of justice..

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Now he'll get real justice.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Is the bail bondsman still on the hook?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
On one hand, I can't actually applaud a murder.

On the other hand...

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Not a killing, but the recipient of this justice may have wished it had been.

About ten years ago a 20-y/o man was accused of raping a traveller gal - travellers, as some of you know, is a euphemism for gypsies or pikies, depending whether or not you are sympathetic to their somewhat adventurous methods of acquiring funds by nefarious means.

However, not even a travelling gal needs getting raped by the local scumbag, who, surprisingly, got off on a technicality although he was obviously guilty to anybody who did not believe that a person could really be in two places simultaneously, as his numerous pals claimed.

All might just have been forgotten, if he hadn't got drunk one evening and boasted about how hot the gal had been, and what a fight she had put up resisting his unwelcome advances. He even described a birthmark on the gal that only her husband could know about, had she been married. After her rape, of course, she was unmarriageable in the eyes of her peers since her rapist had claimed that she was 'begging for it'.

He had been overheard.

As he left the pub, he was taken away, supposedly by at least ten men [he later claimed], bundled into an SUV of some kind, and taken to a place that he recalled had been the location of the attack.

Our travelling friends, when not robbing lead off church roofs, are an industrious lot, always laying tarmac drives and so on, and being the professionals they are, both possess and use professional tools to do the job.

He was laid on the hard ground, and a motorised vibratory plate compactor was applied from the waist down.

By the time that he was found, the avengers had long gone.

No amount of reconstructive surgery could help him much, though, having been left with a wiener that would fit neatly into an envelope without making much of a bulge...

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I told him, once he gets out he's got to get out of the neighborhood," Johnson said.

Well, he is out of the neighborhood now.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
"Oh, my God, I can't believe it," said Belmont's attorney, Michael Johnson...
Johnson said. "Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've seen this."

Please pick one sir, your confusing your other clients.

Methinks he should work on his feigned shock a bit more before the next time.
Perhaps I'm cynical, but somebody knew the what, when & where and told somebody else. I'd check the lawyers wallet.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Looks like "Kamari" got karma'd.

What type of fucked up name is that? Sounds like a name for Japanese exotic fish.

No it's abbreviated for Calamari...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a cop, we used a term to describe the status of a case we did not clear with an arrest:
Exceptionally Cleared.

Kamari is exceptionally cleared. Hopefully, those who plinked him will be too!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post