SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking of giving up deer hunting....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of giving up deer hunting.... Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Deer season used to be like Christmas for me, opening morning like Christmas Eve. Hunted with my dad for years, then he moved away, his body would not allow it anymore so he hunted thru me. He died last year.

My hunting partner, (my father-in-law) was the perfect substitution for my dad. He treated me like a son and in someways was more of a dad to my than my own father. He died a week after my dad’s funeral last year.

My 15 year-old is showing some interest, but I think he could take it or leave it. The private land we hunt on is for sale and I refuse to gun-hunt on public land.

I love venison, but I’m finding that the process is becoming more work than I care about anymore.

Maybe it is time to start fishing again.

Any of you guys ever get ‘here’?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My Dad is 73 and an avid deer hunter and shows no signs of wanting to slow down, but he has remarked that he sees and hears fewer and fewer guys in the woods each year now and that the younger generation just doesn't seem interested in it.

I still go with him on opening day in Pennsylvania and the couple days after that, but he goes all the time for every season; deer, bear, turkey etc

They used to excuse us or sometimes even have no school on opening day for buck season in PA, I'm sure that's all over with now.

I'm not sure if I will go with my own sons (currently 1.5 and 3.5) when they are 12 on my own, I'm sure by then my Dad will have stopped or may even be gone.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I'd give it another season with the 15 year old. See if his interest grows. God only knows you'll be glad for anything he likes to do with you in the next couple of years...I'd try to get whatever I could.

If he doesn't get into it this year, then re-evaluate.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have children, but from my own childhood (oldest of eight), it's a parent's duty to develop the child. As hunting is a tradition in your family, I'll suggest you try to develop the interest in your son.

Loss of hunting areas has been a problem in our country going back generations. I remember reading articles in various outdoor magazines as far back as the early 1960's about development at the expense of open land. One of the original goals of Ducks Unlimited was preservation of habitat.

I'd at least try to instill a sense of history and tradition, including family tradition, in your son. With the impending loss of your favorite hunting ground, and your son growing up, time is running out on this opportunity.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got there about 10 years ago.

My dad had died and it was just my brother and me left. As you said, a lot of work. We tried leasing land and that got old too. I never really considered paying a few hundred thousand for a place to hunt a few weekends each year.

I think mostly, I felt like I had shot enough deer and my life wasn't going to be enhanced by shooting one more.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I've hunted on public land in MN twice during rifle season and won't be doing that again - just too many idiots out there (and I thought I was well off the beaten path).

Took up archery shortly after that and while I haven't taken a deer with my bow yet, I find it a lot more fun and peaceful (except for the occasional squirrel hunter that walk by). However, they guys that I go with have been using their vacation time elsewhere and one has MD that has been progressing over the years that's making it harder for him so I'll probably be sticking closer to home and going a few weekends rather than taking a week off. I miss that comradery we had during deer camp.

So to answer your question - I feel like I'm on my way there - perhaps until I'm able to purchase some land, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would continue. Especially with your son at that age. The greatest gift would be if he has a son or daughter and would want to teach them how. That would be because of you.

Hunting is also a part of the firearm tradition of our country. Providing for oneself and his or her family.

We hunt for the meat. Is our primary source. Venison is my favorite. Ohhhh, so good.

One aspect of our failing society is that we give up on traditions that go back to our roots as a country because we are so wrapped up in stuff that really does not matter.

What would your father expect you to do?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try to change up your hunts. I have started using my pistols/muzzleloader rifle during firearm seasons. Try archery hunting if you have not already.

There are good opportunities hunting public ground.

If your getting old and lazy I get that also. I no longer will hunt in single digit temperatures or rain/high winds anymore.

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can identify with you. My hunting buddy, who lived next door to me, moved away 25 years ago. I haven't hunted deer since.

Not sure I still know how.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
My 15 year-old is showing some interest, but I think he could take it or leave it.

As some others have mentioned, give it a year with your son - 1 more season. If the seed grows with him, great. If not, call it good.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I understand where you are. I love to hunt.

But... I don't have a hunting buddy, and I don't have access to private land. Like you, I am not going to hunt the public land around me. I have researched it; there are scant prospects of success, and high prospects of bad redneck interaction.

I'd love the opportunity to contribute to a private land situation; pay part of a lease, do feedplot and cabin maintenance, etc., and then have a group to hunt with.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I think you owe your son a good faith effort introducing him to a great sport. Your father and father in law as well as yourself loved it. To give up on a 15 year old seems a bit early.

Having said all that I understand fighting a running tide. I've slowed quite a bit on deer hunting. Access, losing dad and other hunting partners, and a daughter caught up in life. I replaced it with a 2 week trip out west with 4 like minded guys. This has me hooked like I was 30 years ago with whitetails.

I hope you can get through this with a great hunting partner on the other side.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm older. The things I did with my Dad, just he and I together, stick out so clear in my memory. Do not know now if they were all my choice at the time, but would not willing give up any one of them now.

Getting out in the woods is a special and unique time, as is on a lake or stream.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Don't have nearly enough time to hunt like we used to. 3 hour road trip on a Friday night, hunt one day then head home Sunday morning. Just not worth it anymore.

My daughter is into it far more than my son is. They're the only reason I get my license anymore. Maybe one day I'll get back into like I used to be.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I am 'there' now. I'm in my 70's and have missed drawing a license two years in a row now. I no longer have anyone to hunt with anyway, and when I see fewer and fewer hunters, while getting a license seems to be harder and harder, especially for South Dakota, I've decided to "pack it in."

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Uncle (hunting partener) pased last Sept and it was hard to go out by myself. It isnt that we hunted hard, he was 80 I am 64) it was just the time we spent together that ment so much.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
I'm still very much into it, though I am only in my late 40's so it's possible that I may slack once I get older. Definitely more incentive this year though as my almost 15 year old daughter has taken an interest in it. She and my wife are both getting into bow hunting this year, couldn't really care less if I take a deer but would love to see either or both of them get one.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I will encourage you to keep it going. I find it's a time to remember my buddies who have passed on. To laugh again at the fun we had and walk the spots we walked together in years past.

As our group gets smaller each year - deaths or diminished mobility - I wonder how long it will last. My kids are too small to join in yet, but once they hit 12 I'm definitely taking them.

I see a few guys have brought up bow hunting and I think that is a fantastic idea. My oldest is 8yrs old and he gets more joy taking game - or missing game! - with a bow then he does with a rifle. No doubt about it.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
My 15 year-old is showing some interest, but I think he could take it or leave it.

As some others have mentioned, give it a year with your son - 1 more season. If the seed grows with him, great. If not, call it good.

Agree. My father didn't hunt when I was growing up (due to injury in his youth) so my hunting knowledge/tradition is fairly light. One of the few disappointments of my childhood.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had hunted with friends in my teen years but hadn't hunted since college until several years ago when my second oldest son convinced me to take him. (I am currently 52 and luckily my brother-in-law has some nice property with a cabin about 2 1/2 hours away). Although I really didn't want to go as the notion of freezing my ass off in the woods didn't really appeal to me I quickly grew to love every minute spent up there with the both of them. Although I have absolutely no interest in killing anything I loved disconnecting, the hardware, seeiing the wildlife and family, and the quality time spent with them. My son entered college this year and I doubt I will go this year and I am already missing it. I would suggest taking your son and seeing what happens. Little to lose but a lifetime of memories are entirely possible even if you aren't lucky enough to harvest.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post