SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Android fans, a question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Android fans, a question Login/Join 
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted
I've kept my LG G4 stock. However it is looking unlikely that any new versions of Android are in the future for this phone. The last update introduced an annoying stutter when playing music over bluetooth, almost like a record skipping.

I see two options:
1.) Unlock and root this phone and install a custom Nougat ROM to alleviate this issue and get another year out if this phone...

2.) Suck it up and get the G5 (now a generation old but with removable battery which is a must for me).

Thoughts?

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
After you did the update, did you wipe the cache?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Will try that, but my understanding is that it is an issue with the implementation of the bluetooth stack in this version of Android.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of root+rom. I run LineageOS (the successor to CyanogenMOD) on a 3-year-old HTC One M8. I may upgrade if there are some good black friday deals this year, but I may not.

Start at xda-developers.com and find the subforum for your particular version.

Be aware though if you do use Google Pay/Wallet/whatever they call it now that it does not run on a rooted phone.

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
I'm a fan of root+rom. I run LineageOS (the successor to CyanogenMOD) on a 3-year-old HTC One M8. I may upgrade if there are some good black friday deals this year, but I may not.

Start at xda-developers.com and find the subforum for your particular version.

Be aware though if you do use Google Pay/Wallet/whatever they call it now that it does not run on a rooted phone.

I always ran Cyanogenmod on my Galaxy SII before the power button broke...

How do you like LineageOS? That is what I will install if I go that route.

Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
LineageOS can best be thought of as CyanogenMOD but not called CyanogenMOD. The official CyanogenMOD was discontinued and Cyanogen, Inc. was shut down. The code was forked, and most of the developers moved to LineageOS.

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Root + ROM. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an LG G4 and the only time it has this issue is if the battery is low and it hasn't been restarted in a while.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
My G5 scrapped the bed. GPS quit and I got it replaced. Then the camera stopped focusing. GPS is still iffy sometimes.

I won't get another LG phone...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
G5 is ok. Bought the SO one when they first came out and she likes it ok. The removable battery isn't all that. G6 and V20 are supposed to be significantly better.

Posts: 1536 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Get an S7 edge and be happy. With fast wireless charging the removable battery is not essential any longer.

I just replaced my LG G6 with a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and happy to be back to Samsung (had an S7 Edge before the LG).

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post