SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Phoenix: Customer fatally shoots man trying to rob drugstore
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phoenix: Customer fatally shoots man trying to rob drugstore Login/Join 
posted
http://www.azcentral.com/story...e-robbery/531743001/

Police: Customer fatally shoots man trying to rob Phoenix drugstore

Josiah Destin, The Republic
Published 8:09 p.m. MT Aug. 1, 2017
Updated 7:53 a.m. MT Aug. 2, 2017

A customer at a north Phoenix drugstore shot and killed a man who was attempting to rob the store Tuesday night, police said.

The incident occurred about 6:30 p.m., at a Walgreens in the 3400 block of West Union Hills Drive, Sgt. Jonathan Howard said.

Responding officers found about a dozen workers and customers hiding in the store from an armed robber who was still inside, Howard said.

"When they (officers) arrived, they found a scene that was full of chaos,'' he said.

A man had pulled out a gun and jumped the pharmacy counter, pointing the weapon at people and demanding oxycodone from the pharmacist, Howard said.

A customer who was in the store and armed with a gun shot the man, Howard said.

Officers got everyone out of the store and found the robbery suspect, who was still armed but wounded, Howard said. A police dog was used to pull the man from his gun, Howard said, adding that the man had a second gun.

Police administered CPR to the man, but he died at the scene.

Janice Gordon-Caddy said she arrived at the store about 6:45 p.m., as the incident was still unfolding.

“I saw the workers from the pharmacy running out with their hands raised in the air. They were crying and screaming,’’ she said.

“Next thing I know, the SWAT team and all the police officers and everybody are going in with their guns; it was just a madhouse,’’ she added. “That probably would have been much worse if there hadn’t been a customer in there armed.”

The shooter remained at the scene and was being interviewed by police, as were witnesses, Howard said.

Officers still were at the store late Tuesday investigating and no further information was available.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Brave man, and a righteous shoot.

Props - AGAIN - to the Armed Citizen.

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I guess I had a couple of thoughts.

If the perp was addicted to oxycodone, to the point he was willing to commit armed robbery to get a hit, then he already was in hell before he robbed the store. Now he is no longer addicted, he will never rob another store, but I don't think his problems are over.

Also, if this happened in Canada, would the now hero be treated as a villain??

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

Unfortunately, not just in Canada. Particularly, if the shootee were a member of a preferential demographic trying to turn his life around, and if the shooter were a gainfully employed, white male Christian with a MAGA bumper sticker on his car. In that case, this would be a crime against humanity and taken to the Hague.

Riots of course.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fenris,

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I love a story with a happy ending

good shoot and no civil liability

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, did the customer shoot him because he was dangerous, or because he butted in line?

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A police dog was used to pull the man from his gun

Sure it was a nice, gentle pull.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arizona members - what's the rule on this type of shooting? Kill him so he can't testify against you? Wink I'm curious as to what the law allows in this circumstance.

If this were in CA, I think I'd have to prove lives were in danger. I think a gun touching the pharmacist's temple would be justifiable.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

If the perp was addicted to oxycodone, to the point he was willing to commit armed robbery to get a hit, then he already was in hell before he robbed the store. Now he is no longer addicted, he will never rob another store, but I don't think his problems are over.

Could have been simply a corner pharmaceutical salesman looking to restock his supply.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:

Could have been simply a corner pharmaceutical salesman looking to restock his supply.

You mean undocumented pharmaceutical entrepreneur, and victim of the white patriarchy?

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a pic of a 35 y.o Steve H.

but could not find a 30 y.o.

Hm m m

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54631 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post