SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rodger Goodell's Contract Has Not Been Extended
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rodger Goodell's Contract Has Not Been Extended Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's Contract Has Not Been Extended — Jerry Jones May Be Responsible

BY CALEB HULL
3 HOURS AGO
nflMatthew Stockman/Bob Levey/Getty Images
Following a speech given by President Donald Trump during which he attacked NFL players who chose to disrespect the flag, more protesters than ever knelt, raised their fists, and even stayed in the locker room during the national anthem.

But the NFL received plenty of backlash resulting in a crash in ratings, drop in ticket sales, and ultimately thousands of fans have abandoned the league. IJR reported just over a week ago that the NFL's commissioner Roger Goodell's still has yet to be extended.

But now, it is being revealed that team owners may be the cause of this. ESPN is reporting that a conference call took place on Thursday, which discussed Roger Goodell's contract. During this call, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones led the call in a direction of halting the contract.

ESPN writes:

There is a growing difference of opinion among owners on Goodell's overall performance as commissioner, according to sources. The owners on Thursday's conference call are generally unhappy with Goodell and the NFL's front office for a variety of reasons, including the player protests staged during the national anthem, the issues regarding the relocation of teams to Los Angeles and the league's handling of the Ray Rice domestic violence case, according to sources.

One owner even said, “You don't get to have this many messes over the years like Roger has had and survive it.” Another owner said:

“Everyone [in the league office] is trying to win the latest news cycle, and there's no long-term vision. It's just, 'How can we minimize the bad headlines, maximize the revenue, and move on to the next day?' And there's an increasing frustration to that approach.”

During this call, Texans owner Bob McNair got so frustrated that he referred to players that protested as “inmates” and has since received backlash from his players.

To approve Goodell's firing, the NFL would need the vote of 24 out of the 32 owners.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Fuck the NFL, and I'm cool with that. Maybe a old school headbanger will be bought in.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Bring in THIS guy:

Bob is correct and Jerry Jones is a bloviating idiot.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
If I gave a single crap about the NFL and their "managers" I would say good. But I do not care about a bunch of spoiled rotten millionaire brats playing around with an oddly shaped ball.

Not to mention the felons among them.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Owners whining about the commissioner's handling of the player actions, is akin to parents whining that the school or the police haven't done anything about their childrens' misbehavior, while not enforcing discipline themselves. Maybe if the owners actually took action, the commissioner wouldn't have deal with these issues all the time.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
quote:
During this call, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones led the call in a direction of halting the contract.

This Jerry Jones?

Jerry is nothing more than a hypocritical bastard, and there is nothing I hate more.

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Goodell was not the first choicefor the job. Jim Finkes was headed for the job until cancer cut short his life

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's Contract Has Not Been Extended — Jerry Jones May Be Responsible

The quote from ESPN is:

The Cowboys' Jerry Jones was a leading voice among 17 NFL owners on a conference call Thursday that discussed the possibility of halting commissioner Roger Goodell's pending contract extension, sources involved with the call told ESPN.

I would love to see Goodell’s career come to a halt but that’s not what the article says. Big difference between “possibly” and “has not been extended”.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
11 Oct '17_Model: Dolphin's coach used me as a "Cocaine platter"
This article a couple weeks ago, made me consider it is not just the players falling prey to $$$$$$$ and fame. The whole pro football industry most likely has more in common with felons and Weinstein/Hollywood antics, than with regular American citizens.

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The owners wanted someone else to resolve this without them being the heavies.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His 40 million per year salary is going to be a little tough for him to replace.

Posts: 3919 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
His 40 million per year salary is going to be a little tough for him to replace.

probably so but he has a net worth of 75 million so he can probably take some time off and survive.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
quote:

probably so but he has a net worth of 75 million so he can probably take some time off and survive.
Yeah I’m sure he’ll be ok it just always blows me away when someone with poor judgement can rise to a salary of that nature.

Posts: 3919 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
quote:

Yeah I’m sure he’ll be ok it just always blows me away when someone with poor judgement can rise to a salary of that nature.

Peter principle

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
During this call, Texans owner Bob McNair got so frustrated that he referred to players that protested as “inmates” and has since received backlash from his players.

I saw this controversy being discussed today. Evidently he said that you can't have the inmates running the prison (or words to that effect).

Good Lord, have these fracking moron thugs ever heard of a metaphor?

Roll Eyes

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
“We can’t have the inmates running the prison.”
-- Bob McNair, the Texans’ owner
Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24113 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Here's Condoleezza Rice's chance to be commissioner. She's mentioned that she would love that job and you know something, I'll bet she would do a good job. She knows how to deal with huge egos and she can be tough when it's needed.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rodger Goodell's Contract Has Not Been Extended

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Here's Condoleezza Rice's chance to be commissioner. She's mentioned that she would love that job and you know something, I'll bet she would do a good job. She knows how to deal with huge egos and she can be tough when it's needed.

Jim

IMO, a good choice.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post

+1 re: C. Rice!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post