SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone ever ride the Concorde?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever ride the Concorde? Login/Join 
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Long Beach, NY, my apartment was more or less on the flight landing path for JFK airport.
Around 10:30 AM every day, we would hear the Concorde approaching from the ocean and see this spaceship looking plane fly over.
It never failed to impress.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
Flew in it from Oshkosh North to Canada, went M >1, and returned to Oshkosh - about a 90 minute flight. Maybe '85 or '86?
As I recall it was $200-$300

Check out Boom
https://boomsupersonic.com/

Don't remember the exact year either but I was there the year the Concorde came in.
Probably saw the exact flight you were on takeoff as well.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
My good friends did the Concorde/Queen Elizabeth combo. They travel a lot and they said it was one of their greatest experiences ever.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
There is one on static display at Le Bourget in Paris, where Lindbergh landed. It is pretty small inside, I thought, but you’re not in there very long.

There is also one at the Boeing air museum in Seattle, WA that you can walk through and everything.

I used to see it take off from my Aunt's house in Miami, could also see Chaulks sea planes take off from her house. The Miami Vice episode with the concorde in it, was one of the best episodes.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I passed one at the gate at Dulles...

That had to be painful and embarrassing.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I passed one at the gate at Dulles...

That had to be painful and embarrassing.

No kidding, ouch!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Concorde arriving at Boeing Field for the Museum of Fligt. As close as I got to riding in one!

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
^^^^
That's a great photograph!

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never flew one, but a business colleague did. He worked at a company in London and had to hand carry something to a trade show in Miami. Somebody apparently left something critical behind. He's put on the London - Washington - Miami flight. Passengers disembark at Washington Dulles and the pilot asks the remaining 6 or so people going to Miami if any would object to an 'aggressive' ride to Florida. Nope. Plane roars halfway down the runway and bolts almost nose up. My friend said it was the steepest takeoff he's ever experienced. Plane levels out for a bit, then rolls 90 degrees left, levels out, then rolls 90 degrees right, levels out and comes close to Mach 2. Said he was standing in line at Customs in Miami about 45 minutes from the Dulles departure. Pretty cool.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Probably THE most beautiful jet aircraft ever built - sublime to see in its own environment, against the navy blue of space...

I live not far from the IWM at Duxford, where one of the calibration prototypes is housed. The thing is literally packed from end to end with telemetry and electronic wizardy. The docent, a former flight engineer on that actual aircraft, tells us how far we've travelled, electronically speaking, by hold a compact modern lap-top that has 95% of ALL that stuff on it.

tac

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I just realized (duh) after looking at the above picture the damn thing actually looked like a bird...pretty cool. You would have thought they could fix the problem they discovered... but what do I know. I remember G. Gordon Liddy talking about you could hear the sound of the engines leaving you as you sped up.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
There was a daily 1 PM Concorde from JFK to either London or Paris when I worked projectd at the airport. To say that thing was loud is an understatement! Never got to see the inside but what a joy to watch as it took off.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never took a flight on one

I remember my father taking me to Dulles to see one land

Good friend's grandfather was licensed to fly one as Pilot

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
Check out Boom
https://boomsupersonic.com/

Well...how about that? Looks like supersonic travel is back on the bucket list, although I must admit I would wait until it had a few flights under its belt before considering booking a flight.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I always wondered about the drooping nose. Why was the plane designed that way?

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I always wondered about the drooping nose. Why was the plane designed that way?

To improve visibility for T/O and landing.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The Nazi's had a Concorde, didn't they?

Ok ok, so I just started watching The Man in the High Castle and think it's pretty cool that they have a nazi Concorde flying around.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The Concorde was a technological marvel, but a financial disaster.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I wish.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
I flew out of JFK to London on it, and lived in Long Island - constantly saw it landing, sometimes taking off. Biggest surprise flying - interior was very small. Very comfortable, very quick flight. One Aisle, I think two seats each side (I remember I only had one seat next to mine.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post