SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone ever ride the Concorde?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever ride the Concorde? Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted
I had the opportunity to see them land and take off as well as see them in the air on a few occasions, but never having had the opportunity to ride in one was wondering what the experience was like? Do you miss it being available?

I wonder if supersonic transportation will ever be available again? It would have been cool to experience as a "bucket list" item on a vacation somewhere.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
My grandparents used it to fly to France a lot, they loved it.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
The Exec VP in my first job out of college had a Ph.D Aeronautics from Kings College in London (IIRC). He had a plaque on his office wall as one of the first to ride the Concorde across the Atlantic. I passed one at the gate at Dulles, never boarded one.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have been in the cockpits of several of them but never in flight

I think supersonic transports may be making a comeback - NASA and the FAA embarked on a project a few years ago to try to come up with a way to modify or shape the mach footprint and make it more acceptable and they've been reducing the noise levels by about 20 dB to make it less noticeable

would not surprise me if we have SST operations again within 5 years

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had what was likely the last one fly over my house a few years back. Located in South central PA, we’re in the flight pattern to Europe out of Washington, D.C. So, I was within some 5 miles of it -

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
No ride. Had a friend with connections get us out on taxiway while it was landing on the runway, so we could video it and such. Very cool watching the nose lower down so they can see the runway...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
I saw it when it visited Little Rock, AR I think for the only time. An impressive and beautiful aircraft.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Flew in it from Oshkosh North to Canada, went M >1, and returned to Oshkosh - about a 90 minute flight. Maybe '85 or '86?
As I recall it was $200-$300

Check out Boom
https://boomsupersonic.com/

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Was definitely one of my 'bucket list' items. Was sad when they stopped flying.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Never flew in one but saw it many times. We docked our boat in Long Branch, NJ and their landing pattern was over us. Also, heard many a sonic boom from them when fishing off shore, look at my watch and go "Concorde".

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Never got to fly in one, but loved watching them land and take off when I was working high up in the tower at Dulles. Great view!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were still flying out of JFK when I was there in 1985. Saw several takeoff while I was waiting o a flight to Spain. LOUD, as I remember, but very cool.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
There is one on static display at Le Bourget in Paris, where Lindbergh landed. It is pretty small inside, I thought, but you’re not in there very long.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Mid 80's, I was visiting in a north Detroit suburb, very cloudy. Heard very LOUD jet engines, looked up and this Concorde broke thru the clouds for about 2 seconds and disappeared just as fast. Very cool.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YeEB2Lxbfa4

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
One of my coworkers came back from a business trip on the Concorde (he paid for the upgrade out of his own pocket). I was envious. He also brought a Hasselblad 500 C/M back. I was envious of that too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Never flown in one, but I've toured the static display at The Seattle Museum of Flight (which was awesome).

I was very surprised at how big the thing is. It's huge.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They sure were noisy. I don't miss them flowing over my lot in Loudoun County.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My Brit buddy has ridden on them, but I don't remember how many times. He really liked it, but what he liked most was the short flight time after the awe wore off.

It an airline gets a new SST, I'd probably not want to fly on it, but I'd love to see them take off.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1171 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post