SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gifting Firearm to Relative In Ajacent State
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gifting Firearm to Relative In Ajacent State Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
I’m considering giving two pistols, one to my daughter and one to her husband. They live n VA while I reside in WV. I’m often there visiting and shooting with them there at a couple different ranges so I’ll have the pistols with me.
Is it necessary we all go to a VA FFL to accomplish this? Or is even something more complicated required?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7084 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Some states require FFL in state transfer.
All transfers across state lines require FFL.

Federal vs state laws.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
There's no firearm registration in either state - so it's not like they can actually track this stuff.
If it were me in your same shoes.. I'd simply hand them the guns and be done with it.

The less the government has to do in our daily lives the better.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Opinion is your right. Advising someone to commit a felony is not very nice.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Is it possible you already gave these two guns to your daughter when she lived with you? Now she is just taking them to her new house.

I tell my 21 y/o Son, basically these guns are yours, just may take a few years to catch up with you. I have officially 'gifted' a few that he uses now also.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Meh, who cares about those pesky laws? Random guy on Internet said I was good to go!

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Useful advice, thanks everyone!

Posts: 7084 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just go to a dealer and transfer them over. Costs a couple of bucks and you'll be able to sleep nights. If you were the kinda guy that could hand 'em over without, you wouldn't have asked the question. I never do a paperless transfer,(Serial numbered receipt with photo of DL) even when legal, and unless I know someone really well, we go to a dealer. Anybody complains I don't do the transfer.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I am an ffl in Virginia, Berryville to be exact. I would be happy to help you out. Email is in my profile.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
much like the Three S's....

number three is the key

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:
I am an ffl in Virginia, Berryville to be exact. I would be happy to help you out. Email is in my profile.

I'm one in Sterling, also happy to help.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Dreamer and Sig2340 thanks a lot. I’m not familiar with a lot of VA but they're in the Bristow area just east of Manassas is that near to either of you.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

number three is the key

Shit, shower and shave? Big Grin

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

number three is the key

Shit, shower and shave? Big Grin

Either that or “Shoot, shovel, and shut up.”

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Even giving a gun to a family member requires a background check? I doubt it unless you know your daughter or son in law is a felon.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Meh, who cares about those pesky laws? Random guy on Internet said I was good to go!

Got the thread saved to prove it! Big Grin

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Even giving a gun to a family member requires a background check? I doubt it unless you know your daughter or son in law is a felon.

The issue isn't that they're family, it's that they reside in different states.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Dreamer and Sig2340 thanks a lot. I’m not familiar with a lot of VA but they're in the Bristow area just east of Manassas is that near to either of you.

Closer to SIG2340, but he is north of that.

When you come into VA, you may travel on 81? Then to Rt. 7 east to Leesburg, down to Manassas?

I am 12 miles east of Winchester VA near Rt. 7.

Sig2340 is near ish to Rt. 7 and 28 I think. 28 would take you south to Manassas.

While others may have good intentions, there is some very poor advice in this thread, and it would not be worth Felony counts against you or your children for something so easy.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
There's no firearm registration in either state - so it's not like they can actually track this stuff.
If it were me in your same shoes.. I'd simply hand them the guns and be done with it.

The less the government has to do in our daily lives the better.

For anyone considering this, don't. Here's a forseeable scenario. You give a pistol to a relative in another state without an ffl transfer. Your family member's house or car is burglarized and the pistol is stolen. It ends up on the street and is used in a crime. BATFE traces the gun and shows up on your doorstep with questions about how that gun ended up at a crime scene. You are screwed.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I have a deal something like that I've been wondering about. I live in Louisiana and my sister lives in Mississippi. Our daddy had a pistol that my sister wants. He died in 1980 and the pistol was bought new by him back in the 60's. It's been here at Daddy's house here in LA. since he died. I guess it's half mine and half hers since there was no will and we are the only two kids.
Can she just come get it and take it home with her?

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post