SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are Zenni glasses good enough for spares?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Zenni glasses good enough for spares? Login/Join 
posted
I wear glasses every day and always get good quality lenses. Zeiss progressives with photochromic darkening, all the coatings etc. Typically around $600 + frames. That's a bit much for a spare pair or two to throw in the car or boat for emergencies (to get me home in case primaries get lost/broken).

How bad is the optical quality from Zenni? For the price, I'm guessing they can't be much above cheap safety glasses.

Any experiences?

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
For ordinary, no option glasses, my wife loves them. She can get several styles for very little. She wears contacts most days but nights and a few days she likes her glasses.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I use their progressive bifocals. They are in my opinion every bit as good as the $600 pair I had made at the local optometrist. I did have a pair with the photo-chromatic lenses, but one lens broke. I am not sure if this was a result of a different material being used in the lens or a manufacturing fault. In any event I can buy 6 pairs for the same price. Comfort, optical quality, and clarity all seem the same to me.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1492 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just bought a pair from GlassesUSA online, although I swore I never would. They work well and cost me 60 bucks. I'm soon going to buy a spare pair or two for the vehicles.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
I'm about 6 months on my first pair of Zenni glasses. GTG. I also bought some polarized blades with prescription lenses behind the blade....Mehhh. Both with some clip on polarized for the glasses came to 52 bucks shipped so I'm happy with that.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Costco if available.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
MNSIG, I got a spare/backup pair from Zenni with similar options as yours. In my limited experience, the lenses seem very comparable in quality to my LensCrafters. The frame does not feel as sturdy, but at 1/4 the cost, I can buy another pair if needed.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I tried Zenni. I thought they were total crap.

Very bad experience.

They took a very long time, I believe it was every bit of three weeks, to fill the order.

The lenses had a very distinct yellow color. Very yellow. I complained. Zenni Customer NO-Service took a few days to respond, then told me it was some sort of protective (anti glare?) coating.

I told them that I had NOT requested any coating. I have been wearing glasses for seventy-five years (since I was five years old, I'm 80 now) and have always had lenses that were clear.

Told them that I wanted lenses with NO coating, NO yellow color.

They replied, essentially, "tough. That's the way we do it, take it or leave it."

I returned the glasses for a refund. 50% refund. Yup, they kept half the money for producing a totally unacceptable product. It took a long, LONG, time for the refund to show up.

I returned the glasses via a signature-required service so I know when they received the return. It was more than a week before they admitted that they had received the return shipment and started to "process" the refund.

My suggestion: Try CostCo. Their optical department does high quality work at moderate cost. Both my lined try-focals and my lined bi-focal sunglasses were under $150 (each) for the lenses. Their frames are reasonable, too. Or you can supply your own frames; Costco imposes an eighteen dollar up-charge if you do supply your own frames, but that's not terrible.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I wear glasses every day and always get good quality lenses. Zeiss progressives with photochromic darkening, all the coatings etc. Typically around $600 + frames. That's a bit much for a spare pair or two to throw in the car or boat for emergencies (to get me home in case primaries get lost/broken).

How bad is the optical quality from Zenni? For the price, I'm guessing they can't be much above cheap safety glasses.

Any experiences?

Ask your eye doc (if he dispenses) about a budget second pair. That is what we offer.

Yes, I'm biased! Wink

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Don't order plastic frames that are very thin. Seem to be a lot of breakage. And i can't find warranty information anywhere on their website.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Absolutely great for spares. I order them for single vision reading glasses, and bi-focal computer glasses, as well as for shooting glasses (same strength as computer). Their delivery time is not quick, but not horrible, either. You can get some great quality frames from them, or some really poor cheap frames. They are my go-to for anything but my primary glasses, which are Vari-Lux progressives.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Zenni is all I wear. They are absolutely as good as the ones made by the dispensing optician affiliated with my Opthalmologist, at a small fraction of the price. I don't buy photochromic lenses but mine are high index progressives with the fancy coatings. They're so reasonably priced I buy a spare of both the clear and the sunglasses. Four pair from Zenni are a couple hundred bucks cheaper than one pair of the equivalent from the optician.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 pair, one with the slight yellow tint because I look at computer screens all day and a pair of sunglasses. they're all I wear.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post