SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations 1/2” air impact wrench for home mechanic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations 1/2” air impact wrench for home mechanic Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott in NCal:
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
For very occasional use at home I would look no further than Harbor Freight air tools.
I recently bought a HF Bauer corded impact with about 1100# of break away torque on sale now for $69.

I have one of those, ot is great

I have a harbor freight 1/2" impact wrench. It's good for what it is, but it certainly doesn't put out the torque that it says on the box it came in.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a harbor freight 1/2" impact wrench. It's good for what it is, but it certainly doesn't put out the torque that it says on the box it came in.

This. The cheap HF guns also require a LOT more air to run. I have a pretty weak compressor (had to go with 110V unit since I don't have 220 in my garage, and it would be a major undertaking to add it), so going with a higher quality impact (I have an Ingersol Rand) makes a huge difference. HF unit with similar torque ratings wouldn't budge lug nuts on my truck...the IR hooked up to the same compressor zips them right off.

Posts: 8416 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Aircat 1150 here. I don't use it every day - or even every week - but have never had any fastener I couldn't remove. Great tool; think I paid about $150 for it 3 years ago.

All the rest of my pneumatics are IR, are 20+ years old and remain in great shape.

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Picture of Oz_Shadow

posted Dec 1, 11:08 PM Hide Post
Make sure you have larger ID hose and fittings. Makes a difference.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sounds like you have enough compressor capacity.
Craftsman air tools are and have always been second rate with the demand they put on suppliers in price point.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
Thanks all. Think the Aircat checks all the boxes.

Suggestions for sockets? Metric and SAE.

6/8 recommend the Ingersol Rand, and you choose differently?
Why did you even ask us?

The IR231 has a max torque rating of 650 and my current wrench is 400#. Im afraid that I need to aim for >800#. IR in that range are well over $300.

Check out my first post. IR with 1300lb/ft torque. $229

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beancooker, I failed to see that link. Yes, that IR seems to fit the bill as well and is now under consideration. Thanks!

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

This. The cheap HF guns also require a LOT more air to run.

I've seen this reported before. And ISTR that when I was looking into one or another air tool, the HF models of whatever I was looking at all required much more air than brands such as IR.

Caveat: I've only a small Craftsman 8 ga. air compressor and my only pneumatic impact driver is a small Campbell Hausfeld butterfly impact driver I use for blade changes on our big mower--mainly for convenience.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Home Depot has the Milwaukee cordless on sale this month (some are half price today). I’ve got one of theirs I picked up half price last year and it pumps out 1500 foot pounds of torque. Plenty for what I do.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Two words: Ingersol Rand.
When I worked in a shop (high school & for a bit after college), that was all anyone used.

Chicago Pneumatic is Harbor Freight, with everything that goes with it.

IR just works.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beancooker, I failed to see that link. Yes, that IR seems to fit the bill as well and is now under consideration. Thanks!

I suspect that tool will outlast your garageSmile Usually get a nice reverse bias on IR tools too so more torque for unscrewing. You also get the rated power out of an IR where many other cheaper tools do not.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I used air powered IR and CRAFTSMAN. In 2018 I switched to a battery powered MILWAUKEE 'Fuel' 1/2". I'll never go back. It is the friction ring style, the Lithium Ion battery lasts for days of use with no cord or hose to trip over.

If you already have MILWAUKEE 'Fuel' 18v tools, the batteries are interchangeable. In fact you can buy the tool w/o a battery for about $155. The link below is what I purchased but MILWAUKEE offers different models with various torques (scroll down).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All 18V Cordless over here. Haven't used an air impact in over 10 years. I HATE using air tools when a good cordless gets the job done.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The IR2135 Ti I had was great most of the time, but wouldn't quite break loose a couple of Honda crankshaft pulley bolts, which is why I replaced it with the Aircat, which does. (Yes, that's right. Some of them really are that tight.) I have since gone to a Milwaukee Fuel 18V, but the OP was asking for air.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have an IR231, and it was a godsend when rebuilding the FJ-40, mostly for breaking loose stuck stuff, like the crankshaft pulley or the pinion nut. I have gradually moved away from using the pneumatic impact gun for anything else, especially installing stuff, because it's too easy to over-torque.

For removing (lug nuts, for example), I use a breaker bar just to loosen them, and then my Bosch cordless impact screwdriver, with the necessary adapters, to spin the nuts off. Same thing in reverse to install, do all the spinning with the cordless, and even if you go on and "torque" the nut, it will be under the recommended torque value. Then use a real torque wrench for the final torque setting. Sure, the air gun is quicker to remove stuff, but not much, when all you're doing is spinning something.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Two words: Ingersol Rand.
When I worked in a shop (high school & for a bit after college), that was all anyone used.

Chicago Pneumatic is Harbor Freight, with everything that goes with it.

IR just works.

No, Chicago ELECTRIC is Harbor Freight's house brand.
Chicago Pneumatic is totally different.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post