SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hurricane Maria: 100 percent of Puerto Rico without electricity
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Maria: 100 percent of Puerto Rico without electricity Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Terrible situation. Hopefully, critical systems have generator power. I'll be very glad when this hurricane season has finally passed.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I know how they feel. My house is still without power from Irma.
If you don't mind my asking, where are you in Florida? We were without power where I live in Orlando from the Sunday when Irma rolled in, to noon this past Sunday.

We are in Naples. 92% of the county has power but our area seems to be the last to be restored. We evacuated Naples before the storm and went to Orlando. We never lost power there.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are in Naples. 92% of the county has power but our area seems to be the last to be restored. We evacuated Naples before the storm and went to Orlando. We never lost power there.

It happens that way sometimes. The crews we sent from MS. are coming home soon, so you can rest assured that it is coming soon. My office took several weeks to get electricity while others had it a week earlier. The metal power pole on top of the office building was bent and needed replacement, a special task.

After one hurricane in 1985 every power pole was down for three miles down a local street. Utility
crews were stringing wire on the ground to get people back up and then coming in several weeks later with the poles.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
At least when the navy decides to park a carrier in PR for its on board hospital, water purification and electric generation capabilities, PR isn't likely to reject it, unlike a few other places when one was offered for disaster response.

That would be interesting since it was only about 15 years ago that the USN- at the insistence of the Puerto Rican mobs - left PR for good. I think some of them are still trying to understand the concept of unintended consequences, especially those around Roosie Roads. Re the USN helping them now, I can only assume they feel as strongly today about the USN getting out as they did then. We have an obligation to honor their wishes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My employer opened a facility there a year or two ago. I work in IT and we have a young man on our team now, about the last 3 months I think. He's got a degree in computer science, good kid, Jorge. He's a software engineer associate. He's a go-getter to boot.

I guess now that I know someone who is there I have a little more sympathy for folks who have their lives turned upside down. Maybe I am just getting more sympathetic as I get older.

Jorge lives in the NW corner of the island, Aguadilla Pueblo, 00603. He was without power for 7 days with Irma.

Not everyone from PR is an undesirable. I hope my co-worker is OK.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I spent five years living on that beautiful island and working with some gracious, talented, and generous people.

I wonder how many folks who are bad-mouthing Puerto Rico have actually been there.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I started to post earlier, but it came of as "some of my best friends are...."

Being both a "military brat" (my mother was married to both a Navy guy and a USAF guy, among the "five"...) and having a career in the USAF myself, I had the privilege of working and being friends of several people from PR.

And, I cannot recall ever having cross words or anything negative with any of them, contrary to the various other folks, both foreign and domestic, of and every color in Crayola's 64 color box of goodness.

As the bunnyman said, they are Americans, and I do not recall them doing anything of note against the greater majority in the CONUS.

And having suffered through a few (OK, 28 storms in Okinawa in a one year) and many in the Florida Panhandle since Eloise in 1975, I understand the issues, but not the extent that these people are facing, getting hit twice in a few weeks, and enduring total devastation.

We have the means to help them, and I certainly hope we do the best that we can to mitigate this.

The world is watching, and we should be watching and speaking out for them. They are Americans, first...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I know how they feel. My house is still without power from Irma.

You have e-mail.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Not everyone from PR is an undesirable. I hope my co-worker is OK.

Long post deleted before posting. I don't know many Puerto Ricans, but I suspect that the vast majority are not undesirable. The same may not be true of their politicians, any more than it is of ours...

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
If you have halfway decent electric utility crews, you should be able to completely rebuild the grid and rewire the whole island in 4-6 months.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I spent five years living on that beautiful island and working with some gracious, talented, and generous people.

I wonder how many folks who are bad-mouthing Puerto Rico have actually been there.

Probably not many. When the Navy needed us in RR it was a fight to see who got the orders. I got to travel there a lot and loved every minute of it. PR is in their current situation because they have been ill-served by political leadership on the island and in Washington.

However, they are still Americans and deserve the same recovery support that is being provided to Texas and Florida.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I can't fathom 4 to 6 months without electricity. The cities will be unlivable very quickly. I hope they still have a lot of rural areas for kindling and water and whatnot.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
When the Navy needed us in RR it was a fight to see who got the orders. I got to travel there a lot and loved every minute of it. PR is in their current situation because they have been ill-served by political leadership on the island and in Washington.

However, they are still Americans and deserve the same recovery support that is being provided to Texas and Florida.

PR was the best kept secrect as a duty station in the Army. I shot against the PR guard shooting team many times. I can only hope they rebuild the right way this time.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Well, if it wasn't a dump before, it certainly is now.
What is the point of kicking the people of Puerto Rico when they're down? Do they not have enough misery right now to suit you?

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
When the Navy needed us in RR it was a fight to see who got the orders. I got to travel there a lot and loved every minute of it.
PR was the best kept secrect as a duty station in the Army. I shot against the PR guard shooting team many times. I can only hope they rebuild the right way this time.
I was there for two years, in a guided missile squadron at Roosevelt Roads. About six years later, I returned for a 2 1/2 year stint as an engineer, working on the design of a new Central Office switching system for ITT.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
If you have halfway decent electric utility crews, you should be able to completely rebuild the grid and rewire the whole island in 4-6 months.
IF they can get the material. There's way more to a grid than poles and wire . The lead time on a large power transformer can be over a year . If generators are damaged , all bet's are off . Some things are just not sitting in a warehouse ready to be delivered . If you want to scab it together , yeah they can do it reasonably quickly . If you want to build it back right , it's gonna take time .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I have seen devistation from hurricanes and the results of rebuilding efforts.

If this is handled properly, the PR folks will be in better shape than before (the trauma notwithstanding).

What needs to happen is having the people of PR involved in the skills and labor to rebuild, allowing them to earn a living and have pride and ownership in their rebuiling efforts and the follow-on income that they can enjoy when all things are "new and improved".

PR can become "Aunt Tilly's' Pearl", and a great place to visit and experience on par with St. Martens, the Virgin Islands and others.

It does not have to become Haiti.

I am not optimistic. It will take a complete change in culture, political and social. It's possible they will rise to the occasion, but situations like these present opportunities for even more graft, more corruption, more dependence. It takes a society with an ingrained sense of self reliance, personal responsibility, selflessness, and a moral compass. I fear that's been long since been bled out of PR.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
We'll rebuild it all nice and shiny and they'll wreck it in a couple years if another storm doesn't beat them to it.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
June 2018, I predict a baby boom, there!

This ^^^ Baby Irma's all over the place.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
This could cause SERIOUS civil unrest and riots. Be prepared for the guards of most states sending a detachment of troops to help out.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post