SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hurricane Maria: 100 percent of Puerto Rico without electricity
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Maria: 100 percent of Puerto Rico without electricity Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
http://abc7.com/weather/hurric...electricity/2435160/

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- All of Puerto Rico has lost electricity as Hurricane Maria continues to pummel the island on Wednesday, according to the Puerto Rico Office of Emergency Management.

Leaving at least nine people dead in its wake across the Caribbean, Hurricane Maria blew ashore in the morning in the southeast coastal town of Yabucoa as a Category 4 storm with winds of 155 mph.

It was expected to punish the island of 3.4 million people with life-threatening winds for 12 to 24 hours.

Felix Delgado, mayor of the northern coastal city of Catano, told The Associated Press that 80 percent of the 454 homes in a neighborhood known as Juana Matos were destroyed. The fishing community on San Juan Bay was hit with a storm surge of more than 4 feet, he said.

As of 2 p.m. EDT, Maria had weakened to a Category 3, with winds of 115 mph (185 kph). It was off Puerto Rico's northwest coast, moving at about 15 mph (20 kph), and was expected to pass off the coast of the Dominican Republic late Wednesday and Thursday.

Even before the storm, Puerto Rico's electrical grid was crumbling and the island was in dire condition financially.

Posts: 19559 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, if it wasn't a dump before, it certainly is now.

And there's still a lot of hurricane season left.

In the long run though, I wonder if PR ends up better off by getting a brand new electrical grid paid for by yours truly and the rest of the American taxpayers.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30400 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I know how they feel. My house is still without power from Irma.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

I'm sorry you are still dealing with this. I hope you and all of the others here who are without power have the power restored soon.

My family's prayers are with all of you.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
If you don't mind my asking, where are you in Florida? We were without power where I live in Orlando from the Sunday when Irma rolled in, to noon this past Sunday.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hurricane Maria: 100 percent of Puerto Rico without electricity
Even before the storm, Puerto Rico's electrical grid was crumbling and the island was in dire condition financially.

What percentage of Puerto Rico had electricity before the hurricane?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24050 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If you have ever been to Puerto Rico you know this is not a very difficult thing to happen.
I stayed at the Ritz in San Juan and their electricity was dismal get out into the mountains and even on mild days brown outs are very common.
Not to mention electricity is crazy expensive there.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25405 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I have a friend with family there. They are 100% out of communication, but radio reports indicate the general area is badly affected.

Some may not like PR, but they too are Americans and worthy of assistance.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31422 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Hurricane Maria: 100 percent of Puerto Rico without electricity

What percentage of Puerto Rico had electricity before the hurricane?

100% supposedly

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12396 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/w...gory-4-storm-n802911

San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz told MSNBC that the devastation in the capital was unlike any she had ever seen.

"The San Juan that we knew yesterday is no longer there," Yulín said, adding: "We're looking at four to six months without electricity" in Puerto Rico, home to nearly 3.5 million people.

Once it's back out over open water, Maria could re-strengthen to a Category 4 storm, the National Hurricane Center said, with the Dominican Republic and the Turks & Caicos islands next in its direct path. But after that, it's expected to move more eastward than had been predicted earlier in the week, pushed there by an area of high pressure parked over the eastern United States as part of the remnants of Hurricane Jose, it said.

Forecasters said it remained too early to know how close Maria will move to the U.S. mainland, but Domenica Davis, a meteorologist for The Weather Channel, said, "It looks like it will stay in the open waters of the Atlantic."

Posts: 19559 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I was watching the Weather channel and they say some rivers are more than 25 FEET over record flood stage .. This is so hard to fathom.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Heard they might be 4 to 6 months without power. Wow.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30400 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Heard they might be 4 to 6 months without power. Wow.

It'll be Lord of the Flies down there without significant National Guard / DOD intervention.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Lord of the Flies...

You're dating yourself. Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
quote:
...Lord of the Flies...

You're dating yourself. Wink
What, people don't read it anymore. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least when the navy decides to park a carrier in PR for its on board hospital, water purification and electric generation capabilities, PR isn't likely to reject it, unlike a few other places when one was offered for disaster response.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I have seen devistation from hurricanes and the results of rebuilding efforts.

If this is handled properly, the PR folks will be in better shape than before (the trauma notwithstanding).

What needs to happen is having the people of PR involved in the skills and labor to rebuild, allowing them to earn a living and have pride and ownership in their rebuiling efforts and the follow-on income that they can enjoy when all things are "new and improved".

PR can become "Aunt Tilly's' Pearl", and a great place to visit and experience on par with St. Martens, the Virgin Islands and others.

It does not have to become Haiti.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43860 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
June 2018, I predict a baby boom, there!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8339 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the people of P.R. are more industrious than the PRs typical in the US.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
June 2018, I predict a baby boom, there

I disagree. Hurricanes are not like snowstorms or Sandy in the Northeast. No water and no power does not make for romance. Lots of trauma cases.

I hope that Sig Monkey is right about the rebuilding effort. I am not optimistic considering how parts of New Orleans look today, twelve years after Katrina. It could be a third world country in some sections.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post