SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about a good chain breaker for a bicycle sized chain please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about a good chain breaker for a bicycle sized chain please Login/Join 
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted
I am needing to buy a decent for the money chain breaker. I do maintenance in a factory, ride a three wheel bike every shift, which needs chain work sometimes. I also have to often repair a piece of machinery that uses a 6B size chain (pins are around .125") that is not easy to remove and I need a chain breaker that I can use with limited space. I have been using a pin punch and a socket, but I need an easier way. Any recommendations on a good tool out there? Thanks.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:

That - the Park Compact is what I use.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Park tool as was suggested. the one DSgrouse showed is a bit lightweight but usable for casual stuff, I prefer the better one
http://www.parktool.com/produc...peening-anvil-ct-4-3
There are a bunch of similar models so you have to match it to your chain (I didn't research that for you), the above is just an example.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I've been working on my bikes for over 30 years and I think that tool quality may result in a better chain install. The full size Park tool has a good reputation and is reasonably priced. The 3.2 or the 4.3.

Posts: 7455 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the full size Park, and really like it. As pbslinger stated, a quality tool results in a better chain installation.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
As others have said, Park Chain Tool.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
I've been working on my bikes for over 30 years and I think that tool quality may result in a better chain install. The full size Park tool has a good reputation and is reasonably priced. The 3.2 or the 4.3.

+1 Another vote for the full size Park chain tool.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post