SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FBI agents went undercover in Florida's capital for the 'biggest investigation in years'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FBI agents went undercover in Florida's capital for the 'biggest investigation in years' Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
TALLAHASSEE - Buff, bearded and handsome, Atlanta developer Mike Miller sat sipping a cocktail one afternoon last summer outside the spiffy Power Plant Cafe in the city’s new central park. Relaxed, with shirt collar open, he chatted up the head of the local Community Redevelopment Agency, spinning his grand plans to redevelop a not-yet-gentrified block in the shadow of Florida’s Capitol.

The meeting was one of many Miller had with local elected officials and hot-shot developers, beginning in 2015, when he rolled into the steamy, Spanish-moss draped seat of Florida state government. More south Georgia than South Beach, Tallahassee was hungry for the likes of Miller, an out-of-towner willing to spend millions to revitalize downtown as the capital city ached to rebrand itself as a place open for business.

But Miller was not what he appeared. After spending nearly two years infiltrating the burgeoning ranks of up-and-coming entrepreneurs and wooing the town’s politicians over wine and tapas, he vanished.

Until early this summer, that is, when a pair of FBI subpoenas were dropped on City Hall. Miller, it turned out, was no ordinary developer. He was an undercover FBI agent, sources close to the federal investigation said, the linchpin in an elaborate scheme to ferret out public corruption, which could lead to huge political shake-ups.

Story continues Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why always Florida?!?!

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DitchDoctor911:
Why always Florida?!?!

Because arresting all of Washington, DC would be hard work.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DitchDoctor911:
Why always Florida?!?!

Because that's where "Florida man..." resides? Wink Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Isn't Florida a hang out for criminals due to not having an extradition policy?

I had a classmate that overcharged HUD on a development in Northern VA, McNair Farms, by about a $1M. He is now in Florida. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted the FBI to replay ABSCAM on a regular basis. Make sure every senator, congresscritter, and cabinet secretary gets a chance to betray the public on video.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Governor Rick Scott is no saint. How he got off in the huge HCA Medicare scandal is still a shock. It was agreed that HCA ripped off Medicare for 800 million dollars, which was the largest fraud at the time. He then becomes a successful venture capitalist and is elected Florida Governor.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Governor Rick Scott is no saint. How he got off in the huge HCA Medicare scandal is still a shock. It was agreed that HCA ripped off Medicare for 800 million dollars, which was the largest fraud at the time. He then becomes a successful venture capitalist and is elected Florida Governor.

I think it was proven that the irregularities occurred after he sold the company. It was a big election deal, until what really happened came out.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I want that guy's job. I don't mean I want him fired, I mean I want to get to do the same thing for a living.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:

I think it was proven that the irregularities occurred after he sold the company. It was a big election deal, until what really happened came out.

And how many times did he plead the 5th?

Posts: 869 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It looks from the article like this is an investigation of Tallahassee city government, not Florida state government.

I'd think that there would be some spill over, but the initial targets are city politicians.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, with, perhaps, a fair sprinkling of county officials as well. You don't really start roping in state officials until you need a change in regulations or a change in the law. Then again, if the FBI happens to catch a few of them as well, why not?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Irregularities, that was funny. Sounds like a defense attorney trying to defend outright FRAUD. Rick Scott may be Republican but he is just another smarmy politician with his hand in the till. If you think that the Cofounder of HCA knew nothing of what was going on with Medicare you are sadly mistaken.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." Aesop

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." Aesop

Never heard that one. Good laugh. Thanks

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDSigManiac:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:

And how many times did he plead the 5th?
Get over it. It was between him and Charlie Crist for governor. I'll take Scott every day of the week and twice on Sunday over that POS Crist.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The phrase, "draining the swamp" comes to mind, but it's a really big swamp.

Posts: 9509 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post