SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Off to visit SCOTUS tomorrow...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off to visit SCOTUS tomorrow... Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
Leaving Richmond tomorrow at 0700 with the Virginia Historical Society on a bus trip to DC. We will visit the Supreme Court building among other places. We'll try not to wake up Justice Ruth Bader Ginburg. Roll Eyes

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/WzdxeBTm6gk

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I'll be there this weekend. My wife and I are going to hit Alexandria and maybe a boat tour of the city.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've been to DC a bunch, but have never been to SCOTUS.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cool. I'd like to be admitted to practice in front of the Court, and go relax in the attorney's lounge at the Court.

It isn't any particular trick to be admitted, I've just never done it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
^^What kind of lounge do you get for the $200 fee?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your visit. I wish I remember more from the trip I took with my class in 8th grade. A classmates dad clerked for Justic Blackmun so we got a special tour.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
Cool! We rode past the court last week. The only two buildings we went in were the Capitol and the National Archives.

I may try to get my critter to give us a tour of the Capitol sometime, though.

Would love to see the court.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Off to visit SCOTUS tomorrow...

What did you DO?? Eek

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
^^What kind of lounge do you get for the $200 fee?

It's rather comfortable, actually. The biggest benefit is priority/reserved seating for oral arguments, however.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I dindo nuffin'. (Those weren't my pants.) It's a beautiful day; this should be a great trip.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Its the superbowl for legal eagles. You can get in to see Supreme Court arguments & get incredible seating when you do. The Court seats members of the bar separately from members of the public, and it seats bar members on a first-come, first-serve basis. You have to get there early for high-profile cases, as the line fills up. If all the seats are taken, you have to listen in remotely from the lawyer’s lounge (effectively, an overflow room). But often the bar section never fills up, which is especially likely when the cases that day involve areas of law without a strong connection to DC legal practice. On those days, bar members can walk in to the Supreme Court building just a few minutes before the argument starts and still get a seat. And the seats are the best in town. Bar members are seated in the rows immediately behind the lawyers arguing the case. So they’re very close to the action, with a front-row seat to watch the Justices and the advocates. And you can go as often as you like without a ticket. It’s one of the best deals in Washington, at least for Supreme Court nerds who are lawyers.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
We pointed out to our guide that John Marshall being the first Chief Justice of SCOTUS was small potatoes. He was also the first President of the VHS! Smile

Administrator
posted Hide Post
If they let you, shoot some hoops in the "highest court in the land."

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Does the bus stop at the Blue Moon?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
We pointed out to our guide that John Marshall being the first Chief Justice of SCOTUS was small potatoes. He was also the first President of the VHS! Smile
I thought he was the 4th. In fact, he was the 3rd John as Chief Justice.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
You're right. I must not have been paying attention.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Feel free to wake her up, she ain't getting paid to sleep.

The time she spends dozing is being stolen from her time in the great here after. Stay awake, go to the light, see your friends on the other side...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post