Tools

Fountain Pens Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
When I was young and before computers were around, I had a fountain pen. I thought it would be the classy way to write. But it was rather tedious and messy to use. Just like mechanical pencils over wood pencils, I find modern ballpoints (Pilot) my preferred writing utensil. Especially when FPs cost 100x or even 1000x+.

Is the attraction similar to classic cars? Is it something for penmanship artists?

When I was young I had a cheap plastic Schaefer (sp?) that came with cartridges. It fell by the wayside at some point and I’ve been using the pilot G2 as my goto for quite a while. After reading this thread I poked around a bit and ended up ordering a couple of Metropolitans and a box of blue cartridges. I got one medium nib and one italic nib. Put a black cartridge in the one with the medium nib and a blue cartridge in the pen with the italic nib. Tried the black and it was smooth and easy, but it pretty much indistinguishably from a fine point roller ball. The italic though, that is fun! And this just with a very inexpensive pen and cartridge. For something like 12 bucks the Metropolitan it comes with a black cartridge and a converter that allows one to use bottled ink. It has a metal body and looks and feels much better than the plastic Schaefer I used to have. The only downside is that it is a little lighter than I’d like.

I fear the Metro will end up being a gateway drug to better (and more expensive) pens. Oh well, one of the purposes of the forum is to help us find expensive hobbies, right? Cool

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I just passed my Dad's Montblanc Gold 149 down to my daughter now that she is out of school and in her career.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I, uhh, might have gone a bit overboard.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:

LOL, nice. How about inks ?

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
quote:

LOL, nice. How about inks ?

Oh, you know, sitting on a modest 14 or 15 bottles of various types. I also may have lost proper count...

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Even in retirement, I find I still enjoy using fountain pens. It's a habit I started in grade school with a cheap Sheaffer cartridge pen.

(listed in order of acquisition; favor nibs that provide a big bold expressive line!)

Waterman Cotele Grey Lacquer, B gilded nib
Waterman Exclusive Bordeaux Lacquer, F 18kt nib
Waterman Le Man 100 Black, OB 18kt
Waterman Le Man 100 Opera, ST 18kt nib
Waterman Phileas Green marble, F gilded nib
Pelikan Souverän M1000 Black-Green, OBB 18kt nib
Platinum Composer #3776 Black w/twin tine “Music” 14kt nib
Waterman Liaison Orange-Black Woodgrain (ebonite), ST 18kt nib
Waterman Le Man 100 Clear Briarwood, OB 18kt nib
Waterman Phileas Gray marble, M gilded nib
Italix Churchman's Prescriptor, Black Lacquer, Extra Broad Oblique Italic gilded #6 JoWo nib

Big brown ink fan. Smile
Waterman Havana Brown (Absolute Brown)
Pelikan Edlestein Smoky Quartz 2017
J. Herbin 1670 Caroube de Chypre
Seitz-Kreuznach Chestnut Brown
Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown
J. Herbin Lie de The
Private Reserve Copper Burst
Noodler's Golden Brown
Seitz-Kreuznach Cognac
Sheaffer Kings Gold

Others on hand:
Pelikan 4001 Konigsblau (Royal Blue)
Waterman Florida Blue (Serenity Blue)
Waterman Blue-Black (Mysterious Blue)
Montblanc Black
Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black
Diamine Gray
Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Red
Pelikan 4001 Brillant Green

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16217 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

ShneaSIG is all in. (I've always liked the blue and silver Pelikan.)

Try a Pilot. And a higher-end Waterman. And, as an American, you need a Parker and a Shaeffer, too. Then one of the Italians.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am really enjoying my new, cheapie Lamy Safari. So much nicer than the Elysée Diplomat I had in the mid- to late-80s.

It's a joy to write with.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Even in retirement, I find I still enjoy using fountain pens. It's a habit I started in grade school with a cheap Sheaffer cartridge pen.

(listed in order of acquisition; favor nibs that provide a big bold expressive line!)

Waterman Cotele Grey Lacquer, B gilded nib
Waterman Exclusive Bordeaux Lacquer, F 18kt nib
Waterman Le Man 100 Black, OB 18kt
Waterman Le Man 100 Opera, ST 18kt nib
Waterman Phileas Green marble, F gilded nib
Pelikan Souverän M1000 Black-Green, OBB 18kt nib
Platinum Composer #3776 Black w/twin tine “Music” 14kt nib
Waterman Liaison Orange-Black Woodgrain (ebonite), ST 18kt nib
Waterman Le Man 100 Clear Briarwood, OB 18kt nib
Waterman Phileas Gray marble, M gilded nib
Italix Churchman's Prescriptor, Black Lacquer, Extra Broad Oblique Italic gilded #6 JoWo nib

Big brown ink fan. Smile
Waterman Havana Brown (Absolute Brown)
Pelikan Edlestein Smoky Quartz 2017
J. Herbin 1670 Caroube de Chypre
Seitz-Kreuznach Chestnut Brown
Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown
J. Herbin Lie de The
Private Reserve Copper Burst
Noodler's Golden Brown
Seitz-Kreuznach Cognac
Sheaffer Kings Gold

Others on hand:
Pelikan 4001 Konigsblau (Royal Blue)
Waterman Florida Blue (Serenity Blue)
Waterman Blue-Black (Mysterious Blue)
Montblanc Black
Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black
Diamine Gray
Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Red
Pelikan 4001 Brillant Green

Very nice selection!

I'm really liking J. Herbin inks. And I have joined the broad side - the gold and blue m800 in my picture above is a nice italic broad. It's a lot of fun to use!

My pens now go to the office with me every day. Having a bunch of different color inks is pretty useful for marking up and editing documents.

-ShneaSIG

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

ShneaSIG is all in. (I've always liked the blue and silver Pelikan.)

Try a Pilot. And a higher-end Waterman. And, as an American, you need a Parker and a Shaeffer, too. Then one of the Italians.

Quite right. Basically, I need ALL OF THE PENS!

-ShneaSIG