Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fountain Pens Login/Join 
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Mont Blanc 149 Diplomat has been on my desk at least 30 years.
Use ink recommended by manufacturer.
Flush bladder with warm water every 10 fills.
Store in protective case when not in use.
Don't press down when writing; just allow ink to glide over writing surface.
Hope you are not a Southpaw.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The MB 149 is an iconic pen. At one time, I owned 9 of these pens, but this Christmas season, I sold 7 of them at a profit and will use the proceeds for other expenses. I still have 2, that I use on a daily basis. Have one filled with Aurora Blue ink, and the other filled with Waterman's Infinite Blue ink.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ I'm a southpaw. Is this not for me?

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I appreciate this thread for bringing out stylophile and maladat's pictures.

Very nice pens and pictures.

OKCGene, I can see the concern for left hands but you might try a not-too-expensive pen to see if you can work it out. You'll need to ensure your left hand is well south of the nib so that your hand doesn't smear over your writing. I suggest not going finer than a medium tip. Maybe even just the next nib size up to digging in. You'll be pushing the tip forward to write so you want a well-rounded nib at the bottom. I think that may be where the concern was, as I've seen pen tips that are just sort of flat at the end.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I suggest not going finer than a medium tip. Maybe even just the next nib size up to digging in. You'll be pushing the tip forward to write so you want a well-rounded nib at the bottom. I think that may be where the concern was, as I've seen pen tips that are just sort of flat at the end.

The right paper can help a lot, too. I get most of my nibs ground flat (a so-called "italic" or "stub" tip) so that there is line width variation as I write.

On high quality smooth paper (I like Rhodia pads) you have to really work at it to get a nib to dig in, at least as long as you aren't using something like a flexible needle-point calligraphy nib.

Of course, fountain pen-friendly paper doesn't absorb ink very quickly (which keeps your lines from spreading out and getting blotchy or "feathered"). The downside is that the ink stays wet (and thus, easy to smear) a lot longer.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many metro areas have annual fountain pen shows. There are dealers of all pen types, inks and custom pen makers. If you have a chance to go the choices and conversations are amazing.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Any tips for refining or tuning nibs?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:

Buy or pay- This place tunes up all new VP nibs they sell. http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have had really good luck with Mark Bacas at this website:

http://www.nibgrinder.com/

I think his prices are extremely reasonable and he provides pretty quick turnaround time.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Palm says, Mark Bacas is a friend from the Pentrace board/forum from way back. He does good work. Another person is Dan Smith in Des Moines, Iowa. He is at www.nibsmith.com

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

This may sound a bit odd/rude, but I'm "naturally" left handed, in most things so...

You're a human being, not an insect, and the English language is designed to be written with the right hand.

There is no efficient, comfortable way to write it with the left.

It wouldn't be all that hard to learn to write it with your right - think of it as a weak-hand coordination exercise.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
What´s the big deal about something children are being tought in grade 4? Writing left handed became acceptable in the late 50's of the last century of the last millenium. Fountain pen manufactureres offer nibs for left handed people. There will be no problem if the owner of such a pen is holding the pen correctly which is nescessary anyway if he wants to developpe a readable, fluent and mature longhand.

Tuning the nib of a brand new fountain pen before it has been written is like a trigger job for a brand new gun that has not been shot, but more critical, because the tuner needs some reference about your writing style and writing angle. If the tuner does not get this information there will be a standard grind which means, you are getting an almost similar line picture like before except, one can brang about using a „tuned in“ nib. When a decent pen is bought, no tunig is nescessary IMO. Nothing is screaming more „status“ then a the combination of an expensive pen with tuned in nib and a childish, underdevelopped scratchy handwriting that dones not match the mondain signature of the pen owner.

Myself I´m using for years a Pelikan 400, 600 and a Kaweco Sport Special for years for all of my writing, all with M nibs. For ink, it´s either Watherman black blue, Diamine black blue or Pelikan 4001 black. I am finding these three types the less troublesome of all.

I'm either using Waterman black blue or Pelikan 4001 black. I find these two the less problematic of all. I´m using are a leather tab for cleaning the nib and a leather case.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OTD is absolutely correct about tuning a brand new pen. I would say that you should write with a new pen for a while, figure out what you like, or dont like about it, and then go to or send it to a Nibmeister. He will then be able to discuss what your needs are, and also what you are looking for, and he can then tune/adjust a nib so that the end result will be something that you will be pleased with.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
quote:

It wouldn't be all that hard to learn to write it with your right - think of it as a weak-hand coordination exercise.

Is that your excuse for poor penmanship?

I’m left-handed and write better than most, if not all, of my right-handed friends and peers. I write just fine with a fountain pen and have for decades.

That’s just bs.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
quote:

Is that your excuse for poor penmanship?

I’m left-handed and write better than most, if not all, of my right-handed friends and peers. I write just fine with a fountain pen and have for decades.

That’s just bs.

Um, no, I'm not making excuses....scratching my head on that comment.

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Well, that didn't take long.

My Pelikan m200 should show up this week, but I've already put an m800 on order after finding a price I couldn't resist.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just like I'm scratching my head on your comment.

I'm left-handed and have no trouble whatsoever writing properly with a fountain pen. Why would I ever learn to write with my right hand?

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OKCGene:

Just like I'm scratching my head on your comment.

I'm left-handed and have no trouble whatsoever writing properly with a fountain pen. Why would I ever learn to write with my right hand?[/QUOTE

Wait a second, those aren't my words, they're Ag Lifters.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

My Pelikan m200 should show up this week, but I've already put an m800 on order after finding a price I couldn't resist.

And so it begins. Congratulations on the M800.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

And so it begins. Congratulations on the M800.

I think those are a great start... Pelikan pens are durable, reliable, write very nicely, and are easy to fill, empty, and clean. They're all-around great pens.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post