SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I was afraid THIS would happen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was afraid THIS would happen Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
Been attending the gun shows held at the GSR hotel in Reno for a dozen years now. Usually good Shows, with the host hotel accommodating to the attendees and exhibitors. Nothing unusual to see folks carrying around long guns, open carry, etc.

Post Vegas massacre, I wondered IF the hotel would change it's rules and apparently they DID, and big time.

NO firearms or knives AT ALL allowed into the show carried by those attending. Meaning...one can NOT bring a gun IN for appraisal or sale!

NO CCW.

Any firearms purchased at the Show ,must be checked out and have a proper receipt.

If one purchases less than a case of ammo (what about bricks of .22's) You can carry it out to your car. But more than a case it has to be picked up at a loading area.

NO firearms purchased AND ammo allowed TOGETHER to leave the Show. In that case, one must make TWO trips.

And for the Show exhibitors ...They must show a valid liability insurance policy of $1,000,000 to the host hotel to exhibit.

And...All firearms have to be secured by either a cable, or in a case.

A buddy went to the Show and called me today regarding the changes. Stated attendance is down more than 50%. And that many people when refused entry with firearms....simply left and never returned.

And that many of them simply milled around the parking lot selling and trading out there.

Sad news. This was a great show. Me and my show buddies bought a lot of good S&W's over the years there. I recall one show when three of us bought ELEVEN Smiths. I guess those days are gone.

Could be the hotel wants out of the gun show biz? Or local political pressure? Maybe the show can move to Sparks or another venue? We shall see.

I wonder if the Vegas Antique Arms Show in January will have similar surprises?

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
That's just kneejerk retarded.
Especially this bit about cannot buy guns and ammo, then carry out together. Yeah, that rule will definitely prevent nutcases from carrying out their murderous plan, if they already had one in mind. Idiots. Roll Eyes

You inconvenience and piss off your customers, and you'll eventually go the way of the do do bird. Seriously, they deserve to go out of business.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Oh, man. It used to be so cool, rolling through the lobby with uncased firearms and nobody giving a second look. Last time I was there, I hit a slot machine on the way out and a jackpot paid for the entire weekend.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend and I were there Friday. We heard most of the same things.

There were guards posted around the halls. If you happened to have a knife clipped to your pocket, they at least were cool enough to ask you to put all the way down into your pocket.

Unless the environment doesn't change soon, I don't think we will seeing many more shows in the area.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Their way to put an end to Gun Shows to stop the 'gun show loophole'. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A simple minded reaction by a business to prevent a repeat of the Las Vegas shooting.

“Let’s see, hmmm, lots of guns, lots of people, all in one place, there has to be a chance there is a lunatic among that bunch...” “We’re smarter than those guys, we’ll still host the show, but let’s make it safer”.

They are not thinking of all the rational, armed people there that would quickly put a stop to a lunatic on a rampage.

Here is a hard sell - being in a gun show in a large town is probably the safest place to be in that town at that time.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Wow, let’s harden up the place that was already the safest to begin with. Brilliant.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I agree; it's a knee-jerk reaction. "We've got to DO SOMETHING!!"

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I understand that around here they make you unload your firearm and they tie-wrap it or something. So I simply never go to gun shows. *shrug*

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Most bad rules and laws are borne out of the "we have to DO something" mentality.

Humans are often at their weakest, mentally and emotionally, following such events.

We'd probably be better off if making new rules and laws wasn't even allowed during such times of crisis and mourning, but that's not the case, and shit like this happens. The best we can hope for is that those who make such rules and laws resist the "do something" mentality, and take a step back, let things cool down, and do their level best to make an informed decision that's not done in the heat of the moment. Most, however, are simply too stupid or too upset or are too worried about reelection (or they benefit somehow) to do what's actually right and best.

The very same sort of folks who would strongly council their kids to think twice, thrice even, about getting a tattoo will jump at the chance to "do something" in times of crisis, totally missing the point of why some decisions ought not be made spontaneously.

And such is the way of the world.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Rules, knee jerk reaction, etc., I agree entirely. But let me ask this collective...What State is the best to not have to deal with all this BS? What State do I want to move too?

Thoughts??

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I understand that around here they make you unload your firearm and they tie-wrap it or something. So I simply never go to gun shows. *shrug*

I still go to the shows about twice a year. They sure aren't like they used to be, never find a good deal lately, and as you say, have to unload your carry piece and have it zip tied, if you bring in a gun to sell it to must be checked to insure it is unloaded, then zip tied.
The best part of gun shows anymore is walking around with friends, then burgers & bs afterword's.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Childish stupidity.

quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
Rules, knee jerk reaction, etc., I agree entirely. But let me ask this collective...What State is the best to not have to deal with all this BS? What State do I want to move too?

Thoughts??

Utah.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I suspect it is less about preventing the problem and more about fear of liability. “But your honor, it isn’t our fault. We did everything we could to prevent this.”

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

I still go to the shows about twice a year. They sure aren't like they used to be, never find a good deal lately, and as you say, have to unload your carry piece and have it zip tied, if you bring in a gun to sell it to must be checked to insure it is unloaded, then zip tied.

The best part of gun shows anymore is walking around with friends, then burgers & bs afterword's.

Concur, sir !

No one (yet) asking about any knives in pockets.

Seem to recall some fella one time mentioning he seemed to have somehow forgotten to mention the *stuff* he had concealed with him, too.

Anyway, the last one we went to was quite dead, but the point was to get together.

P.S. - don't forget about the Eggs Benedict, beforehand ! ! ! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I heard they wanted to splint everyones fingers to prevent anyone from making a fist, but then someone pointed out that anyone could use the Diemon Dave Judy Chop™, and there goes yer laig...

So, they backed off.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

Concur, sir !

No one (yet) asking about any knives in pockets.

Seem to recall some fella one time mentioning he seemed to have somehow forgotten to mention the *stuff* he had concealed with him, too.

Anyway, the last one we went to was quite dead, but the point was to get together.

P.S. - don't forget about the Eggs Benedict, beforehand ! ! ! Big Grin

Shhh! Wink

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I heard they wanted to splint everyones fingers to prevent anyone from making a fist, but then someone pointed out that anyone could use the Diemon Dave Judy Chop™, and there goes yer laig...

So, they backed off.

They could still make 'knife hands'.

Whatever will they do to prevent that? Roll Eyes

Posts: 7251 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Any firearms purchased at the Show ,must be checked out and have a proper receipt.

If some employee of the hotel wants to know what I bought, I'll give them the same answer I gave to the Sheriff's Deputy and the coliseum door geek when they asked, "Did you buy a firearm?" as I was leaving.
"It's none of your fucking business" and kept on walking.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post