SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone in the Raleigh area have a wood planer I can use?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone in the Raleigh area have a wood planer I can use? Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
So I have four cedar rounds that are about 12" diameter and no more than 2" thick. I'm trying to get these things planed and level.
Anyone on the forum in the Raleigh area have a planer I could utilize for this project? Thanks for looking.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Planers are designed to machine wood with the grain and would quite likely turn cross grain pieces into projectiles.
I would use a belt sander. I have a stationary one that also has a disc sander. Either one would work. There should be someone in your area that has one. Check with your local cabinet shops.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
OK. You can do this yourself with a table saw and a hand belt sander.

You essentially dado the piece on a table saw using a holder assembly. Make a holder with two side strips (1x4) and a piece of plywood (because the round is, well, round). Screw the cedar to the plywood from the bottom and turn the assembly over on the table saw table. The side strips are proud of the highest point of the cedar and hold the cedar above the saw. The strips are against the saw fence. Think about it and you can envision what to make. Just use a saw blade: not a dado set. Drag it back and forth taking a little each pass and moving the fence. Then sand smooth.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post