SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Man entering Coast Guard base in N.J. had assault weapon, body armor, authorities say" UPDATED Jan 23 2020
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Man entering Coast Guard base in N.J. had assault weapon, body armor, authorities say" UPDATED Jan 23 2020 Login/Join 
posted
He's a dumbass, no doubt. What's legal in his home state of NC is not GTG in NJ.

Although the article mentions the dreaded - cue ominous music - "Hollow point ammuntion," that was not one of the charges. However, he was charged with "unlawful possession of a machine gun" although the text suggests it was merely an evil - more ominous music - ASSAULT WEAPON. Do the NJ laws considered a semi a "machine gun??"

Or it is merely another article lacking details?

https://www.nj.com/cape-may-co...authorities-say.html

Man entering Coast Guard base in N.J. had assault weapon, body armor, authorities say

Updated Jan 10, 2020;
Posted Jan 10, 2020

By Noah Cohen | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

A North Carolina man was arrested as he tried to enter the U.S. Coast Guard Training Center in Cape May with an assault rifle, handgun, body armor and ammunition, authorities said Friday.

Dustin A. Peters, 25, of Wilmington, came to the base to attend a graduation ceremony Thursday and his vehicle underwent a routine security check a facility entrance, according to the Cape May County Prosecutor’s Office.

During the check, Coast Guard security personnel saw Peters had hollow point ammunition, according to a statement from the prosecutor’s office. An additional check turned up a handgun.

“Upon further investigation, Peters was found to be in possession of an illegal assault weapon, numerous high capacity magazines for this weapon, body armor, and many rounds of ammunition,” authorities said in the statement.

Authorities did not say why Peters allegedly had the weapons and ammunition. The Coast Guard said it was working with local and federal authorities, and cooperating in the continuing investigation.

“The safety of our members and the public continues to be our highest priority. The Coast Guard has no reason to believe that this individual is a threat to the command or local community and we will continue to work to keep our community safe," a statement from the training center said.

The FBI was notified and responded to assist due to the types of weapons and ammunition found, and that the incident occurred at a military base, according to authorities.

Peters was charged with various weapons offenses, including unlawful possession of a machine gun, possession of an assault firearm, possession of a prohibited weapon and ten counts of possession of high capacity ammunition magazines. He was being held at the Cape May County jail.

Noah Cohen may be reached at ncohen@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @noahyc. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Law abiding means a hell of a lot less when a simple drive across state lines makes you a criminal due to NJ’s fuct gun laws.

Stories like this only worsen my already dismal opinion of NJ. I feel for the many good liberty loving people who have to live under those ridiculous and unconstitutional gun laws.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Uh, I thought that bringing a firearm onto a federal facility was generally strongly frowned upon, in a federal way.

Was it not “Coast Guard security personnel” who found the goodies?

ETA: I’m not saying NJ gun laws aren’t bad, I’m saying that from the article it sounds like he stepped in serious Federal doodoo that he probably should have known about and any NJ stuff is just a pile on.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Law abiding means a hell of a lot less when a simple drive across state lines makes you a criminal due to NJ’s fuct gun laws.

Stories like this only worsen my already dismal opinion of NJ. I feel for the many good liberty loving people who have to live under those ridiculous and unconstitutional gun laws.

Pretty sure you can’t take firearms onto any military base, NJ or otherwise

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
You can't bring firearms on a base. Every year when I receive my DoD base pass I am told this as they are issuing me the card. I think his "assault rifle" may have had a flash suppressor would be my guess. Most likely had more than 10 round magazines. Also, as crazy as it sounds, hollow points only become illegal if used in a crime.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Pretty sure you can’t take firearms onto any military base, NJ or otherwise

Any Federal building including their parking lots. He'd be just as guilty going to a Post Office.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
At the local AFB they had signs outside the entrance,no grass and no concealed carry but you could buy an AR at the PX..

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are NJ gun laws absolutely horrible, stupid and in my view unconstitutional? - yes

Was this guy really dumb for doing this - also a yes.

As many times as I was threatened when I used to work at a federal office, I am fine with banning weapons from the general public who enter federal facilities.

Posts: 1052 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
Are NJ gun laws absolutely horrible, stupid and in my view unconstitutional? - yes

As many times as I was threatened when I used to work at a federal office, I am fine with banning weapons from the general public who enter federal facilities.

I’m not fine with it. Creating another unarmed victim zone is not beneficial at all.

I mean if you think about it for about a half a second, using a firearm offensively is very illegal. If someone is evil enough, stupid with rage enough, whatever enough to offensively use a firearm do you think they are going to give a tinker’s damn about a law precluding them from bringing the firearm in to the facility? I didn’t think so.

So who then does this law effect? Why only the nutjob’s prospective victims, who might otherwise have a chance to defend themselves.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
The sheeple (And the cops) in New Jersey are very anti gun. Hunters and gun owners are on the decline as well. There is no voter base to try to reverse the insanity.

I grew up in rural NJ in the 50's and 60's. They shut the HS down for the Monday deer season opening day. During small game season we left our guns in our cars or in lockers in metal shop. We hunted our way back home at the end of the day. NO MORE.

You have no idea the hysteria associated with gun ownership or hunting in Jersey. The change in attitude in the past 50 years is simply amazing.

The idiot noted in the post has NO clue how his life just changed. Prosecuting firearms charges to the MAX makes big news there. Especially if you're Joe Average. They seem to excel at those prosecutions. Not so much if you truly ARE a real criminal.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
And for every one of these that make the news, 100+ others make it on base, aren't security checked, and no one is any wiser.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I hate that this happens, but for every time this does happen, it is another opportunity for a case to get to a point where an unconstitutional law can be overturned. NJ's ban on HP ammo is ludicrous, as are most of their other infringing laws.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m not fine with it. Creating another unarmed victim zone is not beneficial at all.
.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with you if my office was an unarmed victim zone. It isn't. My office always had at least one armed person and sometimes more. With a no gun in a federal office policy you can stop them at the front door. If anyone with a carry permit can walk through the front door and stay armed, there is nothing we could do. If someone is irate (which is not uncommon where I worked) and is armed, I could easily imagine our security drawing on them and things getting ugly. Threats are more common than you could possibly imagine. Do you think it would be a good idea for any private armed citizen to be able to walk into FBI headquarters, for example?

If your point is that gun laws in NJ suck, that NJ prosecutors get off prosecuting decent citizens for nickel dime gun violations, and NJ is turning into a liberal cess pool, I agree. We most likely agree on 98% of other issues. On the point of allowing any armed citizen into a federal office for any reason, I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Posts: 1052 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Well hell Fed161, I do think I should be able to walk in to FBI HQ armed. But, I'm one of those crazy folks who think I should be able to get on a plane or walk in to the white house armed as well.

As for the armed security guard? Please...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
What happens when you carry these guns onto a base in KY? I know it’s fun to hate on NJ, but some people seem to not understand what is going on here.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
What happens when you carry these guns onto a base in KY? I know it’s fun to hate on NJ, but some people seem to not understand what is going on here.

I’d imagine that the in-DUH-vidual carrying weapons onto a base in KY would probably not face piling on by the locals, but he’d still be in deep kimchi with the feds. The local might laugh at him for being such a dumbass though.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would agree with you if my office was an unarmed victim zone. It isn't. My office always had at least one armed person and sometimes more. With a no gun in a federal office policy you can stop them at the front door. If anyone with a carry permit can walk through the front door and stay armed, there is nothing we could do. If someone is irate (which is not uncommon where I worked) and is armed, I could easily imagine our security drawing on them and things getting ugly. Threats are more common than you could possibly imagine. Do you think it would be a good idea for any private armed citizen to be able to walk into FBI headquarters, for example?

If your point is that gun laws in NJ suck, that NJ prosecutors get off prosecuting decent citizens for nickel dime gun violations, and NJ is turning into a liberal cess pool, I agree. We most likely agree on 98% of other issues. On the point of allowing any armed citizen into a federal office for any reason, I guess we have to agree to disagree.

I have no point at all regarding NJ gun laws. I live in CA, I don’t have any business throwing stones about states having sucky gun laws.
I am slightly less offended when there is actual armed security, but I still don’t like the idea. I can see your position though.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I’d imagine that the in-DUH-vidual carrying weapons onto a base in KY would probably not face piling on by the locals, but he’d still be in deep kimchi with the feds. The local might laugh at him for being such a dumbass though.

The feds rarely make any kind of probable cause arrest.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The Local Liberal Rag Paper listed the firearm as a "Machine" gun.
This is a classic Case of Dumb-Ass. Firearms on the base was Strike 1
But Strike 2 is Hi-Cap mags in the totalitarian state of New Germany
Strike 3 Hollow Point rounds in the same totalitarian state of New Germany

But Fear NOT! The great and powerful Evan Nappen will get involved make lot's of Money and plea the case down.
For those of you who don't know Mr. Nappen, he always talks about defending gun owners, so long as it's a hi-profile case that he can a0 get his name all over the news and B) he can pound his chest.
Yes, a real scumbag in the NJ gun community.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He had a full auto rifle after all. He's even dumber than I first thought!

"Peters told police that he had purchased the AK-47 in Virginia but modified it himself to fire fully automatic."

Complete article:

https://www.marinecorpstimes.c...ard-training-center/

Marine veteran faces prison time for allegedly bringing an illegal machine gun on Coast Guard Training Center

by Todd South
3 hours ago

A 25-year-old Marine veteran faces up to five years in prison if convicted on federal firearms charges after officials said he tried to enter the Coast Guard Training Center in Cape May, New Jersey, with multiple firearms, including an illegally modified to fully automatic AK-47.

Dustin Aaron Peters has a bail hearing set in federal court on Friday in Camden, New Jersey, on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm in a federal facility and unlawful interstate transport of a machine gun, according to a Department of Justice release.

Peters had traveled from North Carolina to New Jersey to attend his wife’s Coast Guard recruit training graduation on Jan. 9.

Despite posted warning signs near the entrance to the facility that firearms were prohibited, Peters tried to enter the facility.

His vehicle was searched and security officials found a modified, fully automatic AK-47 rifle, loaded 9 mm handgun, multiple large capacity magazines, ammunition, a ballistic vest, gas mask and canister, nylon chest rig and other items.

“Peters acknowledged that he did not listen, stating that he knew it was possible that he may be stopped, but was not expecting that to actually happen,” according to court documents.

Peters told police that he had purchased the AK-47 in Virginia but modified it himself to fire fully automatic.

Marine Corps manpower officials confirmed that Peters served in the Corps from June 2012 to June 2017, reaching the rank of corporal. He held the military occupational specialties of 0311 rifleman and 8152 Marine Corps security force guard.

Peters deployed to Guantanamo Bay from April 2013 to July 2013, to Bahrain from November 2013 to June 2014 and was assigned to the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit from October 2015 to April 2016. His last assigned unit before leaving service was with Headquarters Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, according to officials.

The firearms possession on a federal facility carries a maximum penalty of one year in prison and a $100,000 fine. The unlawful interstate transport of a machine gun carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Peters was being held in the Cape May County Correctional Facility in New Jersey with no bond, according to jail records.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post