SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which side by side ? Ranger vs Mule
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which side by side ? Ranger vs Mule Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I went from a Mule 610 to a Polaris mid-size 500 EFI. The little Mule did everything I asked of it and with it's low range could climb about anything but very slowly. I liked it was only 52" or 54" wide so it fit on our ATV trails but it's 13.5 hp just made it too slow out on a road.

Wanting more power but still as narrow as possible the mid-size Polaris seemed the best fit at 58" wide and its 30+hp and much better suspension makes it night and day better performing than the Mule.

I do like Kawasaki's build quality (made in the US) compared to the Polaris Ranger which is made in Mexico. Also like the Mule's 4wd system much better than Polaris's.

Between your choices were I to do it now I think I'd go with the Mule as long as it's not too wide.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about one too. 80% utility. Maybe 20% recreation. I would want hi/lo range. Two people max. Bed to haul supplies and firewood mostly. Pull smallish trailer. I would to spend $7500 but that is not going to get a new machine it does not appear. Any thoughts or suggestions on models and makes. Not looking to buy off/mexican/chinese stuff. Buying used is risky as in "four sets of tire and one oil change" Eek

Thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marue
posted Hide Post
I have had my Ranger for 5 years and my only regret is that I did not get it 5 years earlier.

Posts: 386 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I am thinking about one too. 80% utility. Maybe 20% recreation. I would want hi/lo range. Two people max. Bed to haul supplies and firewood mostly. Pull smallish trailer. I would to spend $7500 but that is not going to get a new machine it does not appear. Any thoughts or suggestions on models and makes. Not looking to buy off/mexican/chinese stuff. Buying used is risky as in "four sets of tire and one oil change" Eek

Thanks.

Awe come on, I'll make you a heck of a deal Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
I have a Kubota RTV900. While it is not a speed demon it is very strong. I have the hydraulics with hydraulic dump on the bed. Personally I like the hydrostatic trans although it does take some getting used to. The on-board hydraulics give you the option of several accessory items.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
Arctic Cat makes a decent buggy, too. It tops out at about 50 mph with just me in it, and a little less with another adult passenger. The only down side I've seen is that the rear axle is full time posi so you have to be careful when turning on turf so you don't tear the grass up. It also makes it handle a little funny on blacktop, but you get used to that. Pulling a trailer? No problem, I pull a 5'x 10' trailer behind it all the time and it doesn't seem to mind.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a pretty hard core duck hunter at a 1,000 acre club. We have Polaris ranger 4 seaters and I have not found a more capable machine for our uses. I have operated JD gators, the kubota UTV, and have ridden in a Kawasaki mule but none impressed me like the Rangers. They are capable of unbelievable things as long as you take care of them and put good tires on them.

Posts: 248 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I prefer my Winchester but my Browning got more use over the last 43 years.

Surprised that it took 19 responses for this to show up.

Big Grin

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
We use a Ranger at the farm every day. Works and runs great, no complaints.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
We went and looked at both the Ranger and Mule today. The mule is a lot bigger especially the bed, it seems more suited for work not so much trail riding. The Ranger is much faster, seats are more comfortable, bed is small by a pretty big margin but this machine seems like it would do some decent trail riding.

I remember when I was a kid we used to have so much fun riding 4 wheelers and I want my daughter to enjoy that too. I think we will go with the Ranger for its dual purpose use. Now I have to find a good deal, the dealership I went to did not want to come off price at all and I am not about to pay $300 less than MSRP!

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
We went and looked at both the Ranger and Mule today. The mule is a lot bigger especially the bed, it seems more suited for work not so much trail riding. The Ranger is much faster, seats are more comfortable, bed is small by a pretty big margin but this machine seems like it would do some decent trail riding.

I remember when I was a kid we used to have so much fun riding 4 wheelers and I want my daughter to enjoy that too. I think we will go with the Ranger for its dual purpose use. Now I have to find a good deal, the dealership I went to did not want to come off price at all and I am not about to pay $300 less than MSRP!

You may have to buy used to get a better deal. I don't think the dealers have a lot of room to wiggle on the new UTV's.
I bought mine from a private party with 1000 miles on it which is nearly new. There are deals to be had but don't look to the dealerships for them.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Depends on the dealership. Some are a lot more customer friendly I am finding. It is a pretty quick process to find out.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post