SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Our trip along Skyline Drive, The Crooked Road, Blue Ridge Parkway, and The Great Smokies
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our trip along Skyline Drive, The Crooked Road, Blue Ridge Parkway, and The Great Smokies Login/Join 
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I enjoy your trip too. Thanks for sharing

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Wow, I really enjoyed your post. But I'm somewhat ashamed now. I could have taken part of the BRP from sister's place in NC, on the way home north to Michigan, but I was too eager to get home by the end of our time there.

Michigan is beautiful, but NC sure caught my eye while I was there. The people too. Thank you NC.

The BRP is a colossal time suck. 35 and 45 mph with park rangers running radar up the wazzu. To put it in perspective in wa,or,ct we would do day trips at 500 miles round trip. Overnighters i could easily rate up to 800 miles one way. I drove portland or to pheonix az in one hitch. Last year orlando to richmond in one. Skyline drive, the Crooked Road, Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Great Smokies 6 days. Yeah, and that is condensed down to what i could have done it in, our trip was 9 days. Minimal hikes and stops for tourist trap crap.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Very nice travelogue (maybe too much of the car...). I went through there in 2014 and also took some photos of the Puckett Cabin.

DSC_7100.jpg
by David Casteel, on Flickr

You look better clean-shaven. Cool

flashguy

I am the president of the anti beard and shaving club.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pictures and a very scenic drive. Hope you had your bug spray with you.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I've driven BRP and spent some time in the Smokies (e.g. first time I drove a car was on a family vacation in the Smokies) and your pics brought back some memories.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

The BRP is a colossal time suck. 35 and 45 mph with park rangers running radar up the wazzu. To put it in perspective in wa,or,ct we would do day trips at 500 miles round trip. Overnighters i could easily rate up to 800 miles one way. I drove portland or to pheonix az in one hitch. Last year orlando to richmond in one. Skyline drive, the Crooked Road, Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Great Smokies 6 days. Yeah, and that is condensed down to what i could have done it in, our trip was 9 days. Minimal hikes and stops for tourist trap crap.

If your purpose is to race through the countryside, then the BRP is a pain. But if you want to go slow and sighsee, then it is beautiful.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Nice trip. It looks like you enjoyed it. My wife & I took the trip on the motorcycle about ten years ago, from the Skyline Drive to Great Smokey Mountain NP. It was a nice ride, but since we live way back in the mountains of PA, all the scenic overlooks just looked kinda like home.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Great pictures, nice car, lovely wife, and yeh other half. Smile Reminds me of the old saying that a vacation is where you drive thousands of miles to have your picture taken beside the car. Smile
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, this is about 1 out of 7 photos for me, my wife has another 400 pictures. Our goal was to hit the music spots, hit the pottery galleries and just enjoy the drive. As Jhe said, if you need to get somewhere the 4 roads we went on are not the roads to take. If you have the time, well then other than the road to the sun in glacier national park you will be hard pressed to find a better route.

Picture of moose201
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Next trip, Tail of the Dragon?

Posts: 264 | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Peaks of Otter Lodge has an all you can eat seafood buffet that is amazing. Glad you enjoyed the trip, I enjoyed your pics.

Wife is cute, good job my man.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to Clingman's Dome since I was a teenager.

The start of the Appalachian trail is literally up the street from me in Amicalola.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of getting rid of one of my STI's for the Ford. Loved the photos but really let's spend some time on how is the car?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I haven't been to Clingman's Dome since I was a teenager.

The start of the Appalachian trail is literally up the street from me in Amicalola.

It was well worth the climb.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm thinking of getting rid of one of my STI's for the Ford. Loved the photos but really let's spend some time on how is the car?

The car is great. Tune, plugs and air filter it should be 320whp and 340wtq at sea level on 93. With the logged tune, mechanical waste gate and new FMIC it should be 350 to 360whp and 400wtq.

The trip was a blast in the car. The roads were not high speed, but just driving it 9 days on those curves was a blast.

Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Beautiful country.
I've been near there several times, but never spent any time checking it out, just going across I-70 back and forth, between Baltimore/DC to Western Maryland.

The car looks nice. I've been in a co-workers Focus once. Had to visit the chiro later that week. Seats were far too narrow for me Smile

You two make a cute couple, and glad you enjoyed yourselves. Thanks for the pix...I'll definitely have to take some time to explore the area when I get out that way again.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Was in the Floyd Country Store 2 weekends ago, visited Stuart. Late July, visited Meadows of Dan , returning from Johnson City, TN.

Years ago, I rambled the corridor from Stuart, Va to Abingdon, Va a lot going to the Virginia Creeper bike trail

I enjoyed all your photos and appreciate you taking the time to post them for all of us.
Frankly, you could have been driving an old Ford pickup and I would have enjoyed seeing the scenery just as much.

But you wouldn't have enjoyed the driving as much..hehe.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Floyd Store was outstanding. Blackberry Bread Pudding is oooooh so good. The music was something to behold. One of the best highlights of our trip.

Today's incremental work on the car, Installation of the new FMIC and Skidplate. Tomorrow I will be working on the wastegate, and the shifting linkage bushings.

Here is the stock intercooler on, with the plastic blocking plate on it. The replacement is significantly wider, Taller and deeper.

The new FMIC.

So the reason for removing the stock horse hair skid plate is that i live on 1 mile of gravel road. When i took it off today, i dumped 3lbs of gravel into the driveway. it had sucked up that much crap in just over 3 weeks. The second problem is that the hair skid plate gets soaked and sags. With 3lbs of rocks on it failure would happen soon.

Here it is on, less chance for it to suck up gravel.

Up next a few of my wifes photos from the trip.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Well, I got the Blackberry Bread Pudding also, with coffee. Bought 2 lbs of old tme candy from the candy barrels to take home.

The Republic of Floyd. No place else like it.

Did you check out the yurts just outside of town?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No we did not, aand we now have 1 more reason to return to Floyd.