SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Our trip along Skyline Drive, The Crooked Road, Blue Ridge Parkway, and The Great Smokies
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our trip along Skyline Drive, The Crooked Road, Blue Ridge Parkway, and The Great Smokies Login/Join 
posted
As you may remember, my wife picked up her new car. A ford Focus RS. We chatted about a nice little vacation. We settled on a Drive and Camp.

It started when our two Kids caught their flight to Grandma's and Grandpa's.

My wife taking photos at one of the stops along the begining of the BRP.

Charm's taking a photo of her car on the drive.

More overlook, more scenic views.

At a stop of one of the water falls.

Very same water fall. Short hike.

At an old loging railroad

Why we took this route.

A mosquito infested swamp of zika death.

More wife, More car.

My lovely wife and the less attractive half.

More Zika death breeding pools.

Scenic view, 1 of about a bajillion.

Arnold Valley, Kinda.

Even being there in august, there were dozens of flowers in bloom.

On The Crooked Road at the floyed country store.

The sign lies, simply a NFS zika breeding ground.

Some of the ubiquitous quartz veins all over the Appalachians.

So we stopped at Gopher something rest area. They had a few different types of fences and building constructions.

So this part was rather comical. These two were loudly discussing lunch. Specifically weather to pick nik or to eat in the car. Well it came down to the wife would not make the sandwich till she got her pick nik. The man up untill this point trailed 25 yds behind moping because he he had to pick nik.

Not really old work, but a recreation.

Puckett Cabin

Today is going to be a Foggy day.

We were.

More blooms

Just above the fog, very briefly.

A Pano for you all.

My wife having a blast.

Hmmmmm, wonder who laid this stone.

Tiny Purple Bloom

The views were just wonderful.

Yielding to my wifes smile.

Top of the pass, yep, back in the soup.

More parking lot pics. And no, we did not do the donuts.

At the Qualla Nation.

The Fog Rolls in.

For you Harry Dresden fans.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Beautiful shots, I miss that area.

I was hoping for a few more in this theme:

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, the internet! It used to be that the neighbors would invite you over for a drink and the next thing you knew, you were roped into having to view their vacation photos. Now you can be bored silly without leaving home .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Ah, the internet! It used to be that the neighbors would invite you over for a drink and the next thing you knew, you were roped into having to view their vacation photos. Now you can be bored silly without leaving home .

And I don't have to provide the whisky.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I was told there would be whisky......no whisky?!?

Great pics, looks like your wife is enjoying the new car.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I was told there would be whisky......no whisky?!?

Great pics, looks like you wife is enjoying the new car.

any time skins, just let me know when you are down this way.

She is loving it. I put in the new air filter, and propperly gapped plugs. The stock ones ranged from .3 to .46. to .7 yeah.... I also did a tune on the ECU before the trip.

This weekend goes in the new skid plate, shifter linkage kit, mechanical wastegate, and New FMIC. After that new ecu flash. That should put it up to 360whp, and 400lbft of torque after a few data logs.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Edit to my above post. Looks like your enjoying her new car.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wreckdiverjosh
posted Hide Post
Nice photos thanks for posting!

Change of Plans...

Posts: 268 | Location: Virginia | Registered: March 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Shame that a car like that is required to have a front license plate tho.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Edit to my above post. Looks like your enjoying her new car.

Yes and no, This is truely her daily driver.

Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I recognize a few of these overlooks, and need to re-aquaint myself with the rest! Nice trip. We have quite a few great driving roads down here to put that vehicle to work.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I came for the whisky?!?
Looks like the two of you enjoyed the trip!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice trip...there was a car?? Smile

Looks like Crabtree Falls?

Did you stop at the Peaks of Otter? They always had a nice buffet.

Go in the Spring when the Rhododendrons and Mountain Laurel are blooming.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
There's only one problem with this post.

Beautiful woman, check
Beautiful car, check
Beautiful scenery, check
Handsome man, check

LICENSE PLATE ON FRONT GRILL ruining the entire post, check.

Seriously, everything looks great but that plate, I would rip that off and gladly pay the fine if a cop decides to break my stones about it.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Looks like a nice trip...there was a car?? Smile

Looks like Crabtree Falls?

Did you stop at the Peaks of Otter? They always had a nice buffet.

Go in the Spring when the Rhododendrons and Mountain Laurel are blooming.

We did stop at peaks of the otter, we skipped their food though. Did a light breakfast and picknick lunch every day.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
There's only one problem with this post.

Beautiful woman, check
Beautiful car, check
Beautiful scenery, check
Handsome man, check

LICENSE PLATE ON FRONT GRILL ruining the entire post, check.

Seriously, everything looks great but that plate, I would rip that off and gladly pay the fine if a cop decides to break my stones about it.

The sheriff, not his deputy's, lives 1 street up on the corner. His deputies run speed checks every few days on our roads. To much of a pain not to have the plate. At least it is not drilled into the facia or obstructing the air flow in.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is probably my favorite part of the country. Thanks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WARNING: Do not venture near Skyline Drive/Blueridge Pkwy furing Fall foilage. You can live and die there. People going 15mph, no passing, no exits .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Very nice travelogue (maybe too much of the car...). I went through there in 2014 and also took some photos of the Puckett Cabin.

DSC_7100.jpg
by David Casteel, on Flickr

You look better clean-shaven. Cool

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Wow, I really enjoyed your post. But I'm somewhat ashamed now. I could have taken part of the BRP from sister's place in NC, on the way home north to Michigan, but I was too eager to get home by the end of our time there.

Michigan is beautiful, but NC sure caught my eye while I was there. The people too. Thank you NC.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post