SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are any of you guys into fast electric boats?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are any of you guys into fast electric boats? Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted
I wanted a new hobby because pissing all my cash away on guns was getting monotonous. Plus, I just signed with up with Imgur, and wanted to see if the photo hosting is working:

Pro Marine 34" MTR running on 6s:

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7506 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Can't have enough expensive hobbies!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Sorry mods, meant to post it in the Lair. Yes Sailor, you are correct.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on your definition of fast. I do have an electric model of the USS Iowa made to Big Gun R/C Warship Combat specs.
(Click to enlarge)
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

The scale is 1/144 so my model of the USS Iowa is a little over 6' long. Detail is not high as who wants to spend all that time and money on fine detail to see it get shot off? Ships, of course, are recoverable and then patched up and sent out again. Speed is regulated based upon the original speed of the ship so I guess it's relative in response to your question (although I guess my guns shoot faster than a standard R/c boat). My Iowa's 3 main turrets all rotate and have neutral to negative elevation, Each barrel is operable (9 shot broadside) and shoots a 1/4" steel ball bearing.

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Awesome boats BB. Those battles look like tons of fun.

posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about buying a drone. A good one is $$$.
Eek

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I considered a drone for a few minutes, but figured inevitable crashing would cost me alot more falling out of the sky.

posted Hide Post
I went with a drone, specifically the DJI Mavic Pro, and I am more that happy with it.

Awesome camera and features that have kept me safe from any crashes, even though I am still a novice.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
How about the one with the cloaking device in the first pic!

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
And I thought this was going to be about Groton, CT.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3446 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks nice.

Do you have any temp issues? How are you cooling the motor and ESC.

Mah on battery and run times?

In the early days of LiPo and brushless a group of us were racing 1/10 scale 4WD late models on a dirt oval. We quit because of motor heat issues and we were killing the LiPo batteries. Too much full throttle.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
Looks nice.

Do you have any temp issues? How are you cooling the motor and ESC.

Mah on battery and run times?

In the early days of LiPo and brushless a group of us were racing 1/10 scale 4WD late models on a dirt oval. We quit because of motor heat issues and we were killing the LiPo batteries. Too much full throttle.

No temp issues, even with the original 120a Seaking ESC I was fine, I just recently upgraded to a 180a Turnegy, in anticipation of prop upgrade for more mph. Motor runs cool being water cooled, along with the ESC. The pick up is in the rudder, and delivered via silicone tubing through the ESC first, then over the motor. In the bottom picture you can see amidship the water outlet. Currently Im running 2 3s 5000Mah 70c Lipos, 1 in each sponson. I get 5-7 minute of running time before it needs to come in. Boat is advertised to do 60+, but I haven't purchased a gps for it yet. Here's a partial of the hull before I upgraded the ESC and lost the Dean connectors in place of 6mm bullets.

posted Hide Post
Good to hear temps under control.

Keep an eye on the deans plugs. If they do not have good connection I have seen them get hot enough to melt the solder on the wires.

Looks like a lot of fun.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
Good to hear temps under control.

Keep an eye on the deans plugs. If they do not have good connection I have seen them get hot enough to melt the solder on the wires.

Looks like a lot of fun.

The Deans are gone, replaced with 6mm bullets.

posted Hide Post
waiting for the PT boat member to show his video

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post