SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    April 19, 1995. 168 murdered
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

April 19, 1995. 168 murdered Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
Today is the anniversary date of the Oklahoma City Murrah Building bombing.

I've lived here for many years but was out of town when it happened. I woke up in my Fort Wayne Indiana hotel room and turned the tv on. Still a bit groggy, I couldn't figure out at first why my familiar OKC local tv news broadcasters were on Fort Wayne stations.

If you're ever in OKC you should tour the Memorial. Maybe it's just me but every time I get close to the site I feel a very strong vibe. It's hard to describe but I feel it.

Love your family and friends, take care of each other, be ever vigilant, always be aware that Evil does indeed exist, fight for goodness and rightneous.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I have toured it, Gene, and it's certainly a spiritual place. It's worth the effort to see it if you're near OKC at all.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I was standing in my high school classroom, in between classes and one of my students came rushing in "did you hear they blew up a building in Oklahoma City!!" I lived in Waxahachie, Texas at the time, just south of Dallas. I can remember it like it was yesterday.

Todays memorial Service:

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Just goes to show that someone with evil intent and a little imagination can do a lot of damage without using a gun.
Hard to believe that was 23 years ago already. The babies in the daycare center there that survived are adults now.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For all our SF LEOs: McVeigh was caught (although who he was was not learned until later) out of a traffic stop for a tag violation.
You never know what you will find during a traffic stop, no matter how mundane it starts out.
A cowardly, callous and brutal act.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the FEMA Report on the building devastation- Very enlightening.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
For all our SF LEOs: McVeigh was caught (although who he was was not learned until later) out of a traffic stop for a tag violation.
You never know what you will find during a traffic stop, no matter mundane it starts out.

Yes indeed. I watched one of the online specials about the bombing a couple of weeks ago while killing time on a travel job.

Found it interesting that while it took him weeks to get all the materials, he and Nichols built the bomb in an afternoon (day before the bombing I think - they built it off the beaten path in a park).

Evil finds a way, unfortunately.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
That was a truly evil event. It has led to some changes in design of Federal buildings, but, as a structural engineer, I sometimes wonder about the effectiveness. If the bomb is really big enough...

In this case, the planners decided to make their attack to commemorate the anniversary of the end of the seige of the Branch Davidian Compound (April 19, 1993, 25 years ago today) and the start of hostilities in the American Revolution at Lexington and Concord (April 19, 1775). If they thought their evil actions would lead to a new revolution, they were badly mistaken. Like after September 11, when Americans are attacked, we tend to pull together, even if it's only for a little while.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2103 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I remember it well.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
You never know what you will find during a traffic stop, no matter how mundane it starts out.

IMO the most important part of any PD is the patrol Officer.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Wow, has it been 23 years, already. Seems like just yesterday.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what has happened to McVeigh all these years later?

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
So what has happened to McVeigh all these years later?

Rotting in the ground. He was executed in 2001.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was actually 171 dead as three of the female victims were pregnant. This was one of the formative events as I grew up.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Oklahoma City Memorial

I can highly recommend the Ranger talk if you visit. There's a museum as well that had been struck by parts of the truck.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Terrible tragedy.

The OKC bombing showed me what lunatics are capable of with commonly used products for the most part.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I visited the memorial and musuem for the first time last month. Very powerful. I was 14 when it happened and remembered seeing it in the news vividly. Having kids in daycare now puts things in a different perspective.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was a horrible day. And should be remembered to keep the memory of those lost that day alive in our hearts and minds. The ones that don't deserve to be remembered are the evil cowards that that did this.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
The photo of the firefighter carrying Baylee Almon is something I will never forget. She had just celebrated her 1st birthday the day before. My own daughter, our first child, was having her first birthday five days later

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I remember, he was pulled over because the blast caused his rear license plate to fall off. Coincidence or ...

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post