SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Skins - electric question for you
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skins - electric question for you Login/Join 
posted
Tearing apart my kitchen, need to extend the 6/3 line running to my range by all of about 2 feet. Lazy electrician back in the day ran the wire through a soffit that I have since removed. I'll put the junction box in behind the range so it's accessible, just unsure of what materials I'll need. Interwebs shows several options, would prefer to get everything in one trip as opposed to 4...

Gracias

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Pics of set up? Has to remain accessible at all times without removing oven, trim, carpentry, or drywall to meet code.

List of materials:

-Deep 1900 box and cover with 3/4" KOs

Link

-3 SPA-2 connectors (brand name, they are #2 mechanical butt splices) this is for conductors

Link

-double lug for #6 wire (#2 or #4 will work as well) - this is for grounds and to ground box.

Link

-3/4" 10-32 screw - to bond above lug to box

Double above material for second j-box to make appliance splices in.

-Rubber tape

Link

-electrical tape

-Sufficent length of 6-3

1/2" Greenfield connector for oven whip, may be included with oven. I'd pick up 3/4" too just in case, usually it's 1/2".

Link

-(3) 3/4" Romex connectors

Edit, misread if it's a slide in oven you only need one set up of stuff. 1900 boxes will need wing to screw to stud, second box with outlet will need one hole lug for ground not two. Range plug and cover.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn, wasn’t aware the junction box couldn’t be behind the range...

I may have to pursue my original plan, involves more drywall demo but I’m already knee deep in that now so what’s a few more square feet? It appears that there is enough slack in the line from what I can tell. Hoping I can just unhook the line at the outlet box, remove staples and reset the line over on the next stud. Unfortunately I don’t have attic access (condo) or this would be much easier.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I misread I think. Standard slide in range that can be removed without cutting/damaging/removing anything?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct, standard slide in.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Fine then to put behind stove. Was thinking wall oven, sorry.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
Gotcha, that makes me feel better. Probably give it a go by unhooking everything and moving the line over a stud initially. Good to have a fall back plan, appreciate it.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Correct 1900 box for splices

Alternative 2g box this will require one hole lug and 10-32 previous mentioned, and may be harder to use due to ko location.
2 gang box with 3/4" ko

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hopefully this makes it easier. Disregard above material, but use the links for pics/descriptions.

Left off drawling (3) 3/4" Romex connectors.

Also, make sure you read install location for new plug. Typically center of range, just above floor level, but some brands are off center to one or either side.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Man you had me worried there Wink

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Man you had me worried there Wink

No need to worry, you haven't been doing it wrong your whole career. I just have poor reading comprehension. The soffit part threw me off. Got me thinking wall oven.

Matt, email if you have ANY questions, I got nothing better to do. Especially on how to do splices and proper method for wrapping butt splices.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
Greatly appreciate it, Skins. I've got some other things to do before I tackle that wire/junction. I'm sloooow with electrical work, took me about 4 hours to do what would probably take you an hour tops. Going to knock out some framing tomorrow to make me feel better about myself.

posted Hide Post
Thanks again, Skins. I was fortunate enough to have enough slack in the existing run that I didn't need a junction box. Was able to move the line over, notch the top plate and put a nail plate over it.

I'm a big fan of it, "it won't fail if it's not there" so I'll sleep better now.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Thanks again, Skins. I was fortunate enough to have enough slack in the existing run that I didn't need a junction box. Was able to move the line over, notch the top plate and put a nail plate over it.

I'm a big fan of it, "it won't fail if it's not there" so I'll sleep better now.

Excellent, the less splices the better. I would always say it's worth the extra effort to avoid j boxes if possible, one less point of failure, especially if being done by someone who doesn't do it for a living. Let me know if you have any other questions during remodel.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis