SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Small business guys (gunsmiths and dealers), who do we like for accepting payments?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small business guys (gunsmiths and dealers), who do we like for accepting payments? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
My gunsmithing and sales volumes are increasing and I'm finding PayPal to be a PITA with monthly transfer limits. Aren't PayPal anti-gun anyways?

Who's a preferred company to set up an account with to accept credit/debit card payments?

TIA

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I will likely be the odd man out here, but we run credit cards through my bank. Slightly higher rate, but I can actually speak to somebody face to face when I have issues.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
paypal will eventually figure out what you are doing and lock your account,
and hold the funds for 180 days,

been there, done that, on my 3rd paypal account (we use strictly for ebay now, nothing else)

I tried a couple over the years going with some that were recommended by other dealers at Shows,

we now use Swipe Simple, for both website (thru authorize.net) and store/show sales,
simple phone app, works with a plug in card reader or hand key if over the phone,

I have been hounded lately by Blue Dog out of Fla (pun intended) to switch but have not had the time to look thru and see what the differences are

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I use ems plus. They are gun friendly. I was also renting a small receipt printer from them for 13 a month.

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Quickbooks has a invoicing/payment system. Sends invoices and allows customers to pay through their facility. They deposit the funds into your account. I've used it in the past for some of my apartment rentals.

Also, I use what Chase calls Quick Pay. It' their implementation of an interbank system called Zelle or ClearXchange. This is what I use now to collect rents. I also pay some vendors this way. See if your bank support this.

Of course, since a lot of financial institutions seem to be anti-gun nowadays, you might want to see if they'll give you any crap for being a gun based business.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
I use ems plus. They are gun friendly. I was also renting a small receipt printer from them for 13 a month.

Another vote for EMS Plus here.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks! EMS it is!

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am quitting quick books because of there outrageous requirement to update your software, or not be able to accept payments. At 300.00 every two years, this is unacceptable.
I have been looking and will check into EMS.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.eprocessingnetwork.com/

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention. Ems only charges 2.25% for swipped and 3.5% for keyed. No monthly fee.

They also have a unit you can purchase that takes chip cards, google and apple pay.

I've been very happy with them. Only complaint I have is they will freeze your account if you don't use it every 90 days. A quick call or chat over their web page will unlock it. I don't do gun shows during the summer and always forget to have it unlocked before the next show in the fall.

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you shop around there is a lot of competition between discount and swiping fees, I have been using a company called merchant services for 20 years. At about a million a year 0.1% can make a big difference.

If another company comes along and makes a better offer I call my local rep and he matches it. If I run out of paper for the terminal we call him and he shows up with a box the next day, no charge. YMMV.

Tommy

Posts: 140 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I used Elavon through Costco. Two different accounts netted the biggest savings, one specifically for Swipe at 1.67% and one for Mail Order Telephone Order keyed transactions at 1.99%. Good customer service, and most competitive rates I could find factoring everything in like affinity cards and monthly minimums. Volume makes a difference in which plan is right for you, and there were credit checks and maybe personal guarantees involved, but we were doing in excess of $1M.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post