SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The horrifying, racist banana peel. :-/
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The horrifying, racist banana peel. :-/ Login/Join 
Picture of dubya
posted
People used to be to busy to dream this baloney up.

Ole Miss students are still reeling from the devastating and traumatic experience.

A weekend fraternity retreat at the University of Mississippi ended early on Saturday because a student threw his banana peel away in a tree — and some students who saw it got “frightened” that the peel was a racist attack. According to an article in the Daily Mississippian, three black students told National Pan-Hellenic Council leaders that they had seen a banana peel on a tree and that they were very upset about it. The leaders then shared their concerns with the rest of the camp, and one of the attendees, Ryan Swanson, admitted that he had placed the peel on the tree — explaining that he had actually not done so because he hates people of color and wants to intimidate them, but because he just couldn’t find a garbage can to put it in. But it didn’t end there: In fact, it prompted an entire day of “camp-wide conversation” about the racist “symbolism, intended.

Makala McNeil, president of the historically black Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. According to the Daily Mississippian, McNeil said she saw the peel and felt like it “was a slap in the face,” adding that it had made her think about a recent incident at American University. In May, bananas hanging from nooses were discovered on trees on the morning that a student from Alpha Kappa Alpha was set to become the school’s first female black president.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/...canceled-mississippi

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
An entire generation of utterly worthless morons.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
absolutely ridiculous horse shit!
gotta wonder how much the media plays into this type of crap....where's that asteroid?

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Onion story right. RIGHT. YOU TELL ME THIS IS FROM THE ONION!!! If not TELL ME ANYWAY. Sigh.

We are a culture looking for offense under any stone.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
These people are too mentally weak to live. No reproduction for them. Remove from gene pool please.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
It's amazing someone would claim racist offense. It is more amazing someone would take such a claim seriously.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
This sounds like quite the slippery slope.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Wait until they have power and you don't anymore...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
If you look hard enough, you can be offended by anything

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Not me. You would have to go mighty far off the reservation to "offend" me.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These college kids these days are offended by EVERYTHING. They need to put their big girl panties on and grow up.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Wait until they have power and you don't anymore...
I guess that's one of the upsides of being old and not being able to live forever.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Hey look, there's a banana peel in that tree.

On with the rest of my life.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Not me. You would have to go mighty far off the reservation to "offend" me.

You're not actively seeking to be offended. If you were, you would be able to find some utter bullshit and act offended over it.

This is why I have been saying for many years now, when someone claims to be offended, we should tell them, "Fuck Off, grow up and start acting like an adult!"

Instead, we've been treating their ridiculous claims as being valid and seeking some way to resolve the problem so that they will never be offended again. That has only exasperated the problem. Just yell at them, "Fuck off, you worthless douche bag!" In the schools, in the workplace, and especially in politics.

Catering to this incessant and ridiculous bull shit has had the same effect as throwing gasoline on fires.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
For some reason, I'm imagining this as a Twilight Zone episode.

Rod Serling: A place where a simple object like a banana peel can cause people to exhibit emotion...

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
absolutely ridiculous horse shit!
gotta wonder how much the media plays into this type of crap....where's that asteroid?

The largest asteroid in more than a century will whiz safely past Earth on September 1 at a safe but unusually close distance of about 4.4 million miles (7 million kilometers), NASA said. .....................

https://phys.org/news/2017-08-...ntury-whiz-sept.html

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4572 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of np149
posted Hide Post
How long before these are banned?

Posts: 236 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
The administration of the University of Mississippi has been cultivating the snowflake culture for years. Apparently, they have finally reached critical mass.

A once great Southern Conservative school is no more.

Follow the battle over the state flag if you really want to get your B/P up.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Did CNN interview the banana peel? Well, did they?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post