SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do We Have Any Members In The Printing Business?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do We Have Any Members In The Printing Business? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I want to order some business cards. There are plenty of online vendors, but I would like to deal with a SIGforum member if there is anybody in the business.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
I get all of my shirts and cards from member Uriah. Does a hell of a job. Email sent

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I spent 20 years as a Prepress tech. Apple killed the industry, so now I fix appliances.

Can't be of service, thought I'd chime in.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amhaynie:
I get all of my shirts and cards from member Uriah. Does a hell of a job. Email sent

Shirts, eh?
May I have that contact info as well?

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
I spent 20 years as a Prepress tech. Apple killed the industry, so now I fix appliances.

What part of prepress where you in. I make my living in prepress and been using a Mac for the last 27.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:

What part of prepress where you in. I make my living in prepress and been using a Mac for the last 27.

I also worked in pre-press for 24 years, including the last 15+ Of those on Macs. Camera, stripping, even ran our typesetting department for a while. Left it for good in 2003.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Sold my business in 2011. 9/19/2011 to be exact. We had prepress and Graphic Arts employees, but I rolled up my sleeves when we where swamped and actually enjoyed. We started with Macs but moved to high end PC's when Adobe made their products cross platform and we adapted a PDF work flow.

I know that doesn't help with the question asked and I could refer to people I still know in the industry but I don't think that's what OP really wants. I'm sure someone will chime in and offer assistance.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Slight topic drift, but how exactly did Adobe kill the industry? By beating out Quark? by making stripping and manual color separations obsolete? I don't get it.They were and to my knowledge still are the leading edge in print workflow.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Direct to plate.

No more film processors, strippers, manual color separation, cameras - like that.

Kind of like what offset did to linotype.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:

Slight topic drift, but how exactly did Adobe kill the industry? By beating out Quark? by making stripping and manual color separations obsolete? I don't get it.They were and to my knowledge still are the leading edge in print workflow.

I think he probably meant changed instead of killed. All the same things get done today but instead of manually they get done via software typically on a Mac.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
All I want to do is order a small quantity of business cards.

I started this thread, thinking that if we have a member in the business, I would place the order with him / her, instead of Costco.

Somehow, y'all took a turn down a different road and the thread is now talking about software on a Mac in the printing industry.

Confused

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
All I want to do is order a small quantity of business cards.

I started this thread, thinking that if we have a member in the business, I would place the order with him / her, instead of Costco.

Somehow, y'all took a turn down a different road and the thread is now talking about software on a Mac in the printing industry.

Confused

Sorry for the thread drift which I was part of. Having spent a good deal of my adult life running a printing business I guess I just can't control myself when the topic comes up. Smile I hope someone still in the business chimes in and get's you taken care of.

-D.H. Lawrence

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

Sorry for the thread drift which I was part of. Having spent a good deal of my adult life running a printing business I guess I just can't control myself when the topic comes up. Smile I hope someone still in the business chimes in and get's you taken care of.
Not a problem really, I can always order from Costco.

I just figured that if we have somebody currently in the business, I would spend my money “in house.”

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
do you do that "in store" ? or on line ? ( AT cOSTCO)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post