SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Family notified their homless son died and his identity was verified by fingerprints.11 days after the funeral the son calls home.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Family notified their homless son died and his identity was verified by fingerprints.11 days after the funeral the son calls home. Login/Join 
posted
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

Outrage as father is told his homeless son is dead and buries him in $20k funeral - only to be told 11 days later that it was a mistake by the coroner and that his son is very much ALIVE!

Frank J. Kerrigan, 82, buried his homeless son, Frank M. Kerrigan, 57, at a cemetery in Orange County, California, last month
Kerrigan was told by the coroner's office that his son's fingerprints match those of a man whose body was found behind a Verizon store days earlier
The family paid for a $20,000 funeral before having his body interred
Eleven days later, Kerrigan received a call from a family friend who says that his son is alive
'Hi Dad,' Frank M. Kerrigan told his stunned father
It was later learned that the coroner's office erred and had misidentified Frank M. Kerrigan based on the appearance of an unidentified dead man.

A California man who days ago attended his homeless son’s funeral was shocked to receive a phone call from his ‘dead’ son whom coroners mistakenly pronounced as deceased, it was reported on Saturday.

On May 12, Frank J. Kerrigan, 82, watched as the coffin that contained the body of a man widely assumed to be that of his son, Frank M. Kerrigan, was interred at the Cemetery of the Holy Sepulchre in Orange County.

Moments earlier, the family and its friends gathered for a memorial service at Holy Family Catholic Cathedral, according to The Orange County Register.

On May 23, however, the phone rang in Kerrigan’s home.

Bill Shinker, a longtime family friend who served as pallbearer at the $20,000 funeral, was on the line.

‘Your son is alive,’ he told his friend.

‘Bill put my son on the phone,’ Kerrigan said.

‘He said “Hi Dad.”’

Kerrigan called the coroner and was told that his 57-year-old son, who is homeless and suffers from mental illness, was found dead behind a Verizon store in Fountain Valley.

When he asked if he should identify the body, the coroner’s office told him that wasn’t necessary since his son’s identity was already confirmed by fingerprints.

It was only after the ordeal that Kerrigan learned the coroner was mistaken.

After the younger Frank called his father to assure him he was alive, the family hired a lawyer to investigate.

It turns out that the coroner’s office never conducted a fingerprint identification.

The authorities apparently determined it was Frank M. Kerrigan because the dead man bore an outer resemblance to him.

When the fingerprints of the dead man were put into the computer, they did not match those of Frank M. Kerrigan.

The family has begun to take steps toward legal action against the coroner’s office.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Relief and rage!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why such an expensive funeral?

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Coroner should pay for the funeral, at least.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Coroner should pay for the funeral, at least.

Personally. He should also be fired as he is clearly incompetent, dishonest, or both.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
“The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my 80 y.o. aunt got a death notification that my cousin was dead.
Someone from the l.a.p.d. sent her a letter , and said he would be giving her a call.
she knew it was going to be a death notification .

4 days later she got the call.

his remains were already interred in potters field.

she asked them when he passed , for her records .
4 years and 4 months ago was the answer.
He apologized to her and explained that they had been really busy and way backed up with not enough people.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with finger prints.

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Silent:
The problem with finger prints.
It's an even bigger problem when no attempt is even made.
quote:
From the original post:
It turns out that the coroner’s office never conducted a fingerprint identification.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow . . . their lucky the father did not have a heart attack.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Kommiefornia! I imagine a cardboard casket and a hole to put it in would eat up most of that out there.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
quote:

Kommiefornia! I imagine a cardboard casket and a hole to put it in would eat up most of that out there.

Yep. Land has appreciated a lot. I think burial plot that I bought for maybe $5000 in 1995 is already at least $15000 to $20000 now. then you throw in the other stuff.

I bought an up and down plot for my parents. I paid for a liner in the year 2000 when my dad died. my mom died in Jan of this year, they made me pay for the second half of the liner that they already installed back in 2000 at the inflated price of today.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
WOW! That is David Truong's stomping grounds. His store is in Fountain Valley

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I don't know the details of why sonny was homeless and the relationship with the father but does it seem odd that daddy would spend 20k on a funeral? I mean that 20k could have gotten him back on his feet. If you'd spend 20k to bury him why not spend that money while he is alive? Like I said, more unknowns but this seems odd to me.

If I'm fed up with bailing sonny out or fed up with whatever bullshit I don't know that I'm spending 20k. 2k maybe

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted June 24, 2017 10:14 PM Hide Post
I don't know the details of why sonny was homeless and the relationship with the father but does it seem odd that daddy would spend 20k on a funeral? I mean that 20k could have gotten him back on his feet. If you'd spend 20k to bury him why not spend that money while he is alive? Like I said, more unknowns but this seems odd to me.

If I'm fed up with bailing sonny out or fed up with whatever bullshit I don't know that I'm spending 20k. 2k maybe

Yep. That is my thinking. Last time I priced cremation with cardboard box it was 3 grand. You provide the urn or pick up the ashes in the container provided.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would guess in part it was an expression of irrational parental guilt.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
So whose body was it?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

Outrage as father is told his homeless son is dead and buries him in $20k funeral - only to be told 11 days later that it was a mistake by the coroner and that his son is very much ALIVE!

Frank J. Kerrigan, 82, buried his homeless son, Frank M. Kerrigan, 57, at a cemetery in Orange County, California, last month
Kerrigan was told by the coroner's office that his son's fingerprints match those of a man whose body was found behind a Verizon store days earlier
The family paid for a $20,000 funeral before having his body interred
Eleven days later, Kerrigan received a call from a family friend who says that his son is alive
'Hi Dad,' Frank M. Kerrigan told his stunned father
It was later learned that the coroner's office erred and had misidentified Frank M. Kerrigan based on the appearance of an unidentified dead man.

A California man who days ago attended his homeless son’s funeral was shocked to receive a phone call from his ‘dead’ son whom coroners mistakenly pronounced as deceased, it was reported on Saturday.

On May 12, Frank J. Kerrigan, 82, watched as the coffin that contained the body of a man widely assumed to be that of his son, Frank M. Kerrigan, was interred at the Cemetery of the Holy Sepulchre in Orange County.

Moments earlier, the family and its friends gathered for a memorial service at Holy Family Catholic Cathedral, according to The Orange County Register.

On May 23, however, the phone rang in Kerrigan’s home.

Bill Shinker, a longtime family friend who served as pallbearer at the $20,000 funeral, was on the line.

‘Your son is alive,’ he told his friend.

‘Bill put my son on the phone,’ Kerrigan said.

‘He said “Hi Dad.”’

Kerrigan called the coroner and was told that his 57-year-old son, who is homeless and suffers from mental illness, was found dead behind a Verizon store in Fountain Valley.

When he asked if he should identify the body, the coroner’s office told him that wasn’t necessary since his son’s identity was already confirmed by fingerprints.

It was only after the ordeal that Kerrigan learned the coroner was mistaken.

After the younger Frank called his father to assure him he was alive, the family hired a lawyer to investigate.

The authorities apparently determined it was Frank M. Kerrigan because the dead man bore an outer resemblance to him.

When the fingerprints of the dead man were put into the computer, they did not match those of Frank M. Kerrigan.

The family has begun to take steps toward legal action against the coroner’s office.

So who was this guy? I clicked on the link and it took me to a fancy wedding in the UK that had not a fucking thing to do with homeless son's dying without parental permission.

OP, speak the fuck up and add a little insight into this post

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You're a troll, Alpine, a drunken troll. T-r-o-l-l.

The next post like this from you is your last. Just go ahead and get it over with, troll.

Posts: 107255 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post