SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to stop robocalls?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to stop robocalls? Login/Join 
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Answer the call. Chat with them. Ask about their family. What are they wearing? Do they have underwear on? What color is it? Are you coming to visit me? Will you bring ice cream? The possibilities are endless.

Yep, have fun and waste their time,inquire if the mother still works in the cat house,you will be called a sob by them.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Michigan AG just had a press conference yesterday telling all us lucky residents that she was making a huge effort to end robocalls.
I got a robocall while the presser was being shown on TV.
Thanks for nothing, Nessel.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
If I don't recognize the number or caller, I don't answer the call. Lately, I have received calls from my phone number.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Be aware that carriers offering white/black list services see their "customers" as a source of valuable identity linking data they can sell to interested parties or use for their own data mining purposes. Keeping a whitelist at a provider can lead to more junk calls, not fewer. On your device, it is much more likely to be safe, but some providers have been known to harvest data directly from phones as well (e.g. through "syncing" or backup).

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Not a number on your contact list? Or someone not on it but you hope for or expect a call from? (E.g., employment search, items for sale in a classified.) Don't answer it.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:
I paid for the Robokiller app. I've had this same cell number since 1997. Thinking about changing it made my feel sick. Bought Robokiller last year and so far so good. I get maybe 1-2 calls slip through a month, but they are stopped about half ring.

The nice thing about Robokiller is it updates all users with numbers that they block on the app.

^^ THIS ^^ I have had Robokiller for a few years and it is worth the money to me. True, 1-2 calls slip thru but you then flag them as Spam and from then on that number is blocked for everybody using Robokiller.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
iPhone (and I believe Android) have a feature where you can ignore calls from numbers not in your contacts.

For iPhone, go to Settings>Phone and move the slider next to Silence Unknown Calls. You may end up missing a call from someone you know but they can still leave a voicemail, you can then call them back.

It's been damn nice not having to put up with that crap for a while.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone must have said this, (but I didn't see it in this thread) so, here goes.

In my last upgrade of my Apple iPhone 8plus, they gave me a little button in the settings for phone titled "Silence Unknown Callers."

Turn it on and no one get through unless the phone is unlocked. No one, that is, except those numbers in your contact list.

I still have NOMOROBO since I am afraid the scammers will figure out a way through this.

Before the latest upgrade, I had to turn on Do Not Disturb in settings and set it for 24 hours (i.e. 9AM to 859AM) with an exception for anyone in my contact list. It worked, but this new feature is really easy.

I have a message on my Voice Mail explaining that I cut out Robocalls, but if it's someone who really wants to talk to me, just leave a VM and I'll call them back. I make a point of checking my phone every couple of hours (when I'm awake and not otherwise engaged) so I can return those calls.

Oh, I see Twist, in the post above mine added this info. Maybe, with two votes for this it'll help one or more of you. It's been a real blessing to me.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twist:
iPhone (and I believe Android) have a feature where you can ignore calls from numbers not in your contacts.

For iPhone, go to Settings>Phone and move the slider next to Silence Unknown Calls. You may end up missing a call from someone you know but they can still leave a voicemail, you can then call them back.

I think that feature is carrier-dependent. Sprint is my carrier and I don’t see that option. Frown

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No solution that works

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by Twist:

I think that feature is carrier-dependent. Sprint is my carrier and I don’t see that option. Frown

You could be right but I don’t think so.

My brother is on AT&T, I’m on TMobile and we both have that feature. It did show up on his phone before it did on mine but a few weeks but I’m pretty sure it has to do with the phone because it’s in the actual iPhone menu and it did take an extra software update on mine to show up.

Not sure if it makes a difference but I’m on an XR and he has one of the 11 models, don’t know if it’s been added to older phones.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Starting a version or two ago, the iPhone added a feature to iOS called "Silence Unknown Callers". It silences the ringtone and sends them to voicemail. Calls from someone in your Contacts, and also recently outgoing called numbers, will still ring.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Stopping the robcalls requires indiscriminate use of nuclear weapons on India, Nigeria, and Pakistan.

I'm down with it if it works.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ancient LG flip-phone will let me set "No Ring" as the general ringtone, and then set an actual ringtone for everyone in my contacts directory. Anything I don't answer gets a shot at my VM but very few spammers bother.

This also assists the ancient battery to run 2-3 weeks between charges.

Bonus - My Grandkids don't bug me any more to play games on my phone.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The Michigan AG just had a press conference yesterday telling all us lucky residents that she was making a huge effort to end robocalls.
I got a robocall while the presser was being shown on TV.
Thanks for nothing, Nessel.

The Three Stooges I refer to them as, Whitmer, Nessel,Benson.

My opinion is that all three of them are trying to make a name in national politics for themselves.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Agree. And I believe they think the Yoop is a foreign country.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
We have cells and a landline. Both are AT&T. I signed the cells up for Nomorobo and the calls have dropped significantly. Caller ID will list some as “spam” or “telemarketer.” Calls that are spoofed still get through but I block them. I notice if I done the same spoofed number gets used.
The landline uses the AT&T robocall system. Two rings and it goes to voicemail. Checking online, there are very few callers that leave a message. We also give out the landline number when a business just has to have it.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I don’t use a cell phone, but I do have an answering machine and it takes 100% of my calls and I would say about 99% of them are robo calls. If I’m home, I just pickup and immediately hang up, then delete the crap from my answering machine. It’s irritating. Friends know they need to talk to the answering machine. If no one talks, I don’t answer. Every robo caller needs to spend time in a corn hole prison.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Starting a version or two ago, the iPhone added a feature to iOS called "Silence Unknown Callers". It silences the ringtone and sends them to voicemail. Calls from someone in your Contacts, and also recently outgoing called numbers, will still ring.

Thanks for that info Henry. I’ll update from my current iOS version (12.4.1). I’ve been holding off because of numerous problems with early versions of iOS 13.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post