SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fireworks death by Mortar Round
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireworks death by Mortar Round Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
all of the mortars I've shot off (not an insubstantial amount) have been round and not possible to "put in backwards."

Well, I did about 3.5 years in a mortar platoon, way back when. And yes, you could drop a round backwards into the tube. Nothing happens. You just have to tilt the tube and let the round slide out.

We're talking about fireworks here, ya know.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, the Darwin award winners were using a reloadable fireworks mortar like this

and not one of these

I'll admit I was confused.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Darwin

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23398 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
https://www.facebook.com/Leand...s/10154804937874567/

Something like this probably ....

Comet, please.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
More details from an updated story:

"They were just running around shooting at each other, running around. People were here, people were over there," he said.

Teddrick Gillespie and Stephon Harrington were both involved in that fireworks war. They told Channel 9 it's always been more fun than shooting fireworks from the ground.

"Every year we have a war. We stand out here, we shoot at each other, just having a good time," Harrington said.

"It didn't come out like it was supposed to. It just exploded right in his hands and he was trembling, and he just fell right there, like straight down,” Pryam said.

Police said Gallion took a few steps, then collapsed on the grass. A neighbor tried to do CPR, but Gallion died a short time later.

Cheraw police told Channel 9 they were called to that apartment complex three times Wednesday night.

Police said an hour before Gallion was killed, another person from the same group lost part of his hand and was taken to Charleston for surgery.

It appears he also loaded a mortar shell backward and was playing the same game, which continued even after he was injured.

Gallion leaves behind a daughter.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
They're probably talking about these, so yes it is possible to load backwards.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Every year we have a war. We stand out here, we shoot at each other, just having a good time," Harrington said.

Quote of the day.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
That’s a , “hold my beer, watch this..! Moment for certain.

Can’t recall who has that sig line here but it’s a good fit.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
And they'll all likely do the same thing next year.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
This story is the answer to the question, "What kind of stupid shit will someone pull if he is not too smart, and drinks a lot of beer? Lots and lots of beer?"

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I went through at least 8 boxes of these plus other brands Wednesday, but I screw the tubes down to a platform. They're some of the strongest tubes I've ever used, and trust me they need to be... Stupid bastards.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there a death last year when the brain donor put the mortar tube on top of his head and the recoil from the tube killed him?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Wasn't there a death last year when the brain donor put the mortar tube on top of his head and the recoil from the tube killed him?
Yes, if not last year, then the year before.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Dead guy's brother?

https://www.breitbart.com/big-...es-firework-vehicle/

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
And they'll all likely do the same thing next year.

Of course, the Darwin candidates are plentiful.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
Dead guy's brother?

https://www.breitbart.com/big-...es-firework-vehicle/

The Big Bang Theory.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Quote of the day.

Probability and statistics catch up to you eventually.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The blow up your car (and your ass) story is from Dayton, OH. My home town.
Which is why I no longer live there!
Eek

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post