SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fireworks death by Mortar Round
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireworks death by Mortar Round Login/Join 
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted
Important safety tip - load mortar tube right side up. Roll Eyes

"CHERAW, S.C. - One person was killed and another seriously injured in Cheraw, South Carolina Wednesday night while shooting off fireworks, according to police.

Officers said a 24-year-old man died when an artillery shell hit him in the chest.

Authorities told Channel 9 that M.C. Gallion III was with friends shooting off fireworks during Fourth of July celebrations at the Dizzy Gillespie Apartments.

Investigators said the group was apparently holding mortar shell launch tubes in their hands and shooting them off. Police said one shell was likely put in backward and burst out the bottom of the tube, hitting Gallion in the chest.

Police said an hour earlier, another person from the same group lost part of his hand in a similar accident and was taken to Charleston for surgery."

Link

First guy loses part of his hand, no problem, let's keep firing.

No mention of an investigation as to how they came to have mortars?

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

Police said an hour earlier, another person from the same group lost part of his hand in a similar accident and was taken to Charleston for surgery."

And an hour earlier they were probably less drunk too. Remind me never to party with this "group."

quote:
No mention of an investigation as to how they came to have mortars?

They're fireworks. Probably perfectly legal.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Those mortars are serious business.

A few years back I had a few leftover from a previous year but I wasn't able to find the launch tube that came w/ them.
I thought I had an appropriate substitute but just in case, made sure I stepped inside after lighting one. It went up, sort of, and came right back down to the deck and detonated, cracking a deck board.

quote:

What are the odds. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Right up there with the lions eating the poachers...... Karma! Do stupid things pay stupid price!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Officers said a 24-year-old man died when an artillery shell hit him in the chest.

Investigators said the group was apparently holding mortar shell launch tubes in their hands and shooting them off.

Ah...there's the problem! Never place an artillery shell in a mortar tube.

Posts: 9039 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
“Police said an hour earlier, another person from the same group lost part of his hand in a similar accident and was taken to Charleston for surgery.”

Sometimes Darwin gives subtle warnings, but duller members of the herd fail to take heed...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15575 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
"Hey y'all...watch this!"

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
24 years old. It's a wonder he lived this long being so stupid. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I have zero desire to be within 100 yards of one of these. Watched one across our slough last night come out of tube and explore at about 10' altitude.

yeah, no.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
"Hey y'all...watch this!"

Hey, Junior hold my beer.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Wow one persons blows up their hand requiring surgery and another done kills hisself with a mortar, in the span of an hour. Some real fucking rocking surgeons in that group.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
all of the mortars I've shot off (not an insubstantial amount) have been round and not possible to "put in backwards."

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Those mortars are serious business.

A few years back I had a few leftover from a previous year but I wasn't able to find the launch tube that came w/ them.
I thought I had an appropriate substitute but just in case, made sure I stepped inside after lighting one. It went up, sort of, and came right back down to the deck and detonated, cracking a deck board.

quote:

What are the odds. Roll Eyes

IN-COMING!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
all of the mortars I've shot off (not an insubstantial amount) have been round and not possible to "put in backwards."

Yeah, more likely he held it level and backwards against his chest.

Darwin 1-1/2, Idiots - 0

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Skipped step #1.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We fire them off most every year, I attach the mortar tubes to a 2/4 with a couple of short legs flat against the board so it's stable and won't tip, put some blocks on the shorter extensions to hold it steady,

Those double and triple shells have some power, they shake the ground when they leave, it's possible for someone to put one in upside down when it's dark, and you have some kind of substance in your system.

Holding a tube up to the chest was a dumb move, these things are chinlee made explosives, shit can go wrong even if you do everything correct.

We'd have upwards of 6 to 8 tubes on a single board with jumper fuse wire running down the board to light one after the other, beats running up and back to light each one...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Apparently alcohol and stupid doesn’t mix any better with fireworks than it does with firearms.

I know several guys who have bars/lounges in their hangars. The thing is, none of them ever open the bar before the airplane is secured for the day. Some things just don’t mix with alcohol.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Dizzy Gillespie Apartments?
A desirable address in Cheraw, no doubt!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

Authorities told Channel 9 that M.C. Gallion III was with friends shooting off fireworks during Fourth of July celebrations at the Dizzy Gillespie Apartments.

I'm wondering if M.C. Gallion I & II did such things. Given the age of III, is there a M.C. Gallion IV to make the news in about 20 years?

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

Well, I did about 3.5 years in a mortar platoon, way back when. And yes, you could drop a round backwards into the tube. Nothing happens. You just have to tilt the tube and let the round slide out.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post