SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just renewed my WV drivers license.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just renewed my WV drivers license. Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had to have embossed seal on birth certificate, 2 utilities bills no older than 30 days, social security card, copy of paid property taxes, voter reg card or CWP.

Despite the fact that you already had a driver's license and nothing has changed. Roll Eyes

They make us do most or all of that crap, too, but at least it isn't $168.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Az offers a regular renawal, cheap, or a "Real ID" renewal for $25 extra. You provide all the documentation mentioned, and get a license with a gold star, which is the the Real ID identifier.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Had to have embossed seal on birth certificate, 2 utilities bills no older than 30 days, social security card, copy of paid property taxes, voter reg card or CWP.

Despite the fact that you already had a driver's license and nothing has changed. Roll Eyes

Try finding all of that within 30 days of moving. I did it 1.5 years ago after I moved back to Texas from Can-eh-duh, and it was a real PITA. It's the 4th time I've had a Texas driver's license too.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

To renew? I just did it today on-line and didn't need any of that "crap". I think you need to move out of that end of the state if "they're" putting you through the same wringer that the OP described just to renew your DL.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Just renewed my license last week. Drove to Warrenton to avoid Chantilly. 48 bucks, 2.5 hour wait to get it done. You guys in WV have the best roads for sure......I guess the big money is the road fee....Someday, WV will charge tolls to enter back roads connecting other states.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I renewed mine online in June & I don't recall the exact amount, it was less than $30.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ewills:
.....I guess the big money is the road fee....Someday, WV will charge tolls to enter back roads connecting other states.

Speaking of tolls, WV on all it's roads has only two that I know of and both are brief, the WV turnpike a section of Rt 19 from around Beckley to I-77 north of Wythville VA. And one exit long of new PA toll road 43 from Cheat Lake WV north into PA which I've never used.

My daughter and SIL live and work in northern VA and encounter tolls frequently enough they have to have easy passes in their cars. PA, NJ, and Ohio have really expensive tolls too. I guess when tolls are factored in WV isn't so bad.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Wow, I had no idea. Tennessee. I do mine online, $28, good for 5 years. Here is a cut and paste...

To renew your driver license online, visit the TN Online Driver Services website. You'll need:

Your TN driver's license number.
The last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
Your TN mailing address.
A credit/debit card for the $28 renewal fee.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Wow... all that for a renewal? It's $27 here, and good for 7 years. They do hammer us on wheel tax, though...$40 per vehicle (that's just the tax...not counting registration and other deed), and unlike your DL, license plates have to be renewed every year. Between my 3 vehicles, 2 trailers, and a boat, November is a bad month.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
For all that NYS does wrong my DL with motorcycle endorsement is $88 for five years. Last time around I got an enhanced DL, which allows international ground or water travel in the Americas.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Renewed online 2 months late for $15 a year using the same 10 year old photo.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Wow, I had no idea. Tennessee. I do mine online, $28, good for 5 years. Here is a cut and paste...
To renew your driver license online, visit the TN Online Driver Services website. You'll need:
Your TN driver's license number.
The last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
Your TN mailing address.
A credit/debit card for the $28 renewal fee.

Texas DL renewal is just about identical. But, the cost is $25 for six (6) years. In case some have forgotten, Texas has no state income tax.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/fees.htm

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Well WV has to pay for all of those heroin overdoses somehow. My friend is chief of hospital medicine at a hospital in WV and they have an entire unit and hospital team dedicated to OD’s and detox. Highest rate in the nation, 41 people in every 100,000. The hospitals don’t fully eat that cost. A lot comes from state charity care which comes from your taxes. Sucks

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Wow, I had no idea. Tennessee. I do mine online, $28, good for 5 years.

Until you turn 65, AZ is a great deal. No renewal at all until you turn 65, and then you have to take the vision test every five years and renew. Get your AZ license when you are 20, and it is valid for 45 years.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dusty78, how right you are!
I do not know the exact #,but many have od'd several times. Only to be brought back to try dying again. I believe all LEO's & EMT's carry Narcan.

I've become hardened to addicts, after the 2nd od, you're done, no saving your ass. I see them as an expense.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
FYI a WV Concealed Carry Permit counts as 1 of the proof of residency documents.

I'm curious as to where the additional fees materialized from. According to the WV DMV website fees increased on July 1, 2017 (I just beat the increases). Was this something other than a Class E Drivers License?

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
You're exactly right Dusty, and I'm sick of supporting meth heads and heroine addicts!

Something else I recently heard, though I've not verified it, is there's an old law on the books that says with "any death that is thought to have been caused by drugs the body must be transported by two state policemen to the state coroner in Charleston". I guess this law was written way back when death by drugs was pretty rare. This alone is costing a small fortune.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, just renewal & an extra $10. Bucks for federal id that allows me to enter some federal bldgs. & enter airports in the event I need to board a plane. To me it's just a shakedown for $$'s.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes mrbill345, I used my CWP as another proof of id. I know most all the DMV clerks, (small town USA) and have all my life, since middle school, I'm 70 yrs old but that didn't count. "Rules is rules" as they say! Another example of government BS.

I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Yes mrbill345, I used my CWP as another proof of id. I know most all the DMV clerks, (small town USA) and have all my life, since middle school, I'm 70 yrs old but that didn't count. "Rules is rules" as they say! Another example of government BS.

Wow. My local DMV had no issue w/ my CWP as one of the proofs the previous time. Thistle (June 2017) my renewal notice gave me the option to renew online, which I took advantage of. This was even for the "government approved" version.