SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just renewed my WV drivers license.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just renewed my WV drivers license. Login/Join 
posted
Had to have embossed seal on birth certificate, 2 utilities bills no older than 30 days, social security card, copy of paid property taxes, voter reg card or CWP.

Fees: insurance fee $1.00
Litter fee: $2.00
State Road fee: $100.00
Plate fee: $30.00
Motor Voter fee: $.50
Driver fee: $ 25.00
Federal Use ID: $10.00
Total >>>>>>>>>>$168.50

Kinda wish I was an illegal, I could sail right through the ID BS and maybe beat the tax man.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
How often is renewal? That seems excessive. Ours is $54 for 5 years.

I'm sure it's made up for elsewhere ...

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
That is robbery. It’s 32 bucks for 8 years here in Georgia.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Similar process in FL for renewal, bills, birth certificate, blood and stool sample....

Posts: 23425 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Having to provide that kind of identification, you must have Real ID there.

I got the Real ID version of my CT license last year when it was up for renewal, but you don't have to do that; you can get a non-Real ID version here still.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:

I apologize, this is for 5 years. The $100. road use is new, we be getting a gas tax hike for road use also. We have to spend the $10.00 fed fee to enter federal bldgs or airports. Never had a litter or voter fees before.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't WV have a real low state income tax? Sounds like they're collecting $$ another way.

Agree with WaterburyBob, you went for Real ID, which is wise if you ever "use" TSA or visit a military base.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Driver fee and road fee geesh.

That litter fee though really pisses me off what the hell do they do with that? Sure as hell aren't any state employees out picking up garbage that I've ever seen?

I live on a gravel road and I myself (no one else) picks up the litter on a 1/2 mile stretch (mostly Bud Lite cans) every week.

I also work with around a dozen from the community to clean up the 4 mile paved road which we do in the Spring and Fall. Why should I have to pay a damn litter fee?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The ID is because of some federal requirement they passed a few years ago. The first renewal you have to give them all that stuff. Future renewals are supposed to be easier.

Posts: 9503 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Doesn't WV have a real low state income tax? Sounds like they're collecting $$ another way.

No one of the highest. It starts at 4% at $25,000 then 5%, and rises to 6.5% on everything over $60,000 INCLUDING Social Security and retirement pensions!

There are different ways to calculate total tax rates from state to state but the last one I saw has WV in the top 8 highest tax states. In contrast Virginia is in the 8 lowest tax states.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

That litter fee though really pisses me off what the hell do they do with that? Sure as hell aren't any state employees out picking up garbage that I've ever seen?

I live on a gravel road and I myself (no one else) picks up the litter on a 1/2 mile stretch (mostly Bud Lite cans) every week.

I also work with around a dozen from the community to clean up the 4 mile paved road which we do in the Spring and Fall. Why should I have to pay a damn litter fee?

Don't forget the motor voter fee! The ladies @ the DMV had no explanation. My vehicle does not vote.

If only our governor would pay the 6 million in back taxes he owes I'd feel a tad better. Why are these crooks allowed to thumb their nose at us. Rev Al also owes back taxes to the tune of millions, why are they any better than me or you?

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
we're only 42 bucks every 8 years.

but I do get to pay $500 for my registration every year.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just renewed mine on-line...5 years, $28.00. My concealed carry will be due in June using the same process.

Very convenient.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
I can't remember what I had to have when first getting my DL, but that just seems excessive. 16 year olds wouldn't have voter ID so I'm assuming they would be exempt. What happens if you rent a room from a buddy or live with your GF and the utilities aren't in your name? I mean birth certificate for renewal...if you already have shown it to them once why again? Same with the social security card.

Glad when I did mine I just had to pay and they sent me another DL. Didn't have to update my picture either. My pic has been the same for the past 16 years.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Had to have embossed seal on birth certificate, 2 utilities bills no older than 30 days, social security card, copy of paid property taxes, voter reg card or CWP.

Fees: insurance fee $1.00
Litter fee: $2.00
State Road fee: $100.00
Plate fee: $30.00
Motor Voter fee: $.50
Driver fee: $ 25.00
Federal Use ID: $10.00
Total >>>>>>>>>>$168.50

Kinda wish I was an illegal, I could sail right through the ID BS and maybe beat the tax man.

I renewed mine before that $100 crap fee. But one thing I did learn while at the DMV. You can renew your DL online. Yep.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
What kind of deal do the “undocumented” workers get?

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just did a quick search & found this.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/i...s-to-immigrants.aspx

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
quote:

Don't forget the motor voter fee! The ladies @ the DMV had no explanation. My vehicle does not vote.

If only our governor would pay the 6 million in back taxes he owes I'd feel a tad better. Why are these crooks allowed to thumb their nose at us. Rev Al also owes back taxes to the tune of millions, why are they any better than me or you?

The issues as I see it is....Voter Apathy in this country.

Politicians of all levels seem to forget they work for us. WE hired them. WE pay them. (taxpayer funds)

If enough people in this country were to collectively say, screw this shit and hold Politicians to an equal level as the common working man, things would change.

Far too many voters hold Politicians in high regard. That, IMO is bullshit. Politicians work for us.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:

Mine was $78 with the motorcycle endorsement. That's $15.60 per year which is reasonable. Of course we have one of the highest gas taxes in the union to make up for it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

No one of the highest. It starts at 4% at $25,000 then 5%, and rises to 6.5% on everything over $60,000 INCLUDING Social Security and retirement pensions!

There are different ways to calculate total tax rates from state to state but the last one I saw has WV in the top 8 highest tax states. In contrast Virginia is in the 8 lowest tax states.

My bad, maybe they're low compared to Maryland. My brother's father in law moved across the Potomac from Hagerstown MD to Martinsburg WV . I assumed it was to save $$ on taxes, maybe there were other reasons.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post