SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Firearms inventory software
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms inventory software Login/Join 
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
I've used Gun Log for several years. More than I really need but it works well. Stores the purchase date, pricing, sales, maintenance, accessories, photos etc. I think it's only available for iPhone and iPad, but I haven't checked lately.

I also agree that inventory could easily be done in Excel. I'm just lazy I guess.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
Well I guess I'm the nerd here....
I use a MySQL database.
Along those lines but maybe a bit less nerdy, I was going to suggest MicroSoft Access or FileMaker.

FileMaker has the advantage of being useable in both Windows and Mac. Of course MySQL does too, but FileMaker is probably much easier for somebody who is new to database management software.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
A MS Access database that I created.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excel works good for me.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
Well, I looked into "Your 2nd Amendment Firearms Database". It lives in one folder which you can have on a flash drive. It does not have files anywhere else on your computer. It does not use other software on your computer. It does not communicate over the internet. It does not communicate to the cloud. It is totally secure.
Excel and Google does all of these bad things.

Plus, even if you delete a file on your computer, it is still fully there; you have only deleted the shortcut to the file. You can use a software called "Erase" or similar and overwrite it to the point of obscurity, but still the gov't may be able to bring it back to life.

So, I purchased a copy of Y2ndAFD and started listing my firearms in it. My goodness! it has a lot of features, and I can keep track of all things associated with each single firearm. I am very glad that I have kept goods records of my firearms because my memory is not that shiny.

It does take a few hours to complete a record for one firearm, depending upon the quantity of accessories that you have for the firearm, ammo pile for the weapon, range records, etc.

My children should have no problem assessing the value of each gun and accoutrements. Maybe they will not have a garage sale and give a fortune away to the unappreciative.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I haven't used anything other than a piece of paper in a safe deposit box. I think I'll use excel as it sounds like a good idea to have this more accessible.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I use MyArmsCache. It is a $5? App and is really a nice program to document and photograph your weapons. You can download it to your computer and other devices. I like it.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have one called GunTracker and I originally populated it with my complete inventory. Unfortunately, after several computer replacements the database associated with it got lost, and I've never rebuilt it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post