SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Firearms inventory software
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms inventory software Login/Join 
Picture of arlen
posted
I am searching for a firearms database software so that I may keep track of my firearm collection. What do you gentlemen and ladies use for this purpose? I am more interested in features of the software than price.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Xcel spreadsheet.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just use an Excel spreadsheet.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Excel here too.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Excel is all you need

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A spreadsheet should be fine for most things unless, say, your collection numbers similar to a battalion arms room.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also just use an Excel spreadsheet. Include at a minimum make, model, caliber and serial number. I add an estimate of replacement cost and date of purchase. Also list any notable extras like scopes, special sights, etc.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Excel here as well.

What is useful about Excel for this is that you can also inventory and list your ammunition.
If you can handle doing very basic formulas and functions you can do some creative things with the numbers. In my case I have a few very odd calibers and the spreadsheet helps me avoid going out and buying ammo when I already have that grain/type in the ammo safe.

I tried one Windows gun inventory program but I did not trust the "feature" of supposedly going online and checking current values for the firearms.

Can't say I care for that little "ET phone home" when you have serial numbers and types of your firearms in the database...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excel for me as well. I also have pictures of each firearm, and have the pics and spreadsheet on a flash drive.

Posts: 425 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excel works for me. I also keep a 3 ring binder with my inventory in it. That goes into a fireproof document safe.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Apps that go on your phone store your inventory in someone else's database. Wonder who is looking at that?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
excel with make, model, year of manufacture, serial #, description, accessories, personal comments (like when/where I got it), and estimated value.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I use RangeLog ( Range Log Link). I started using it when I shot IDPA to keep track of scores, but you can date log inventory, maintenance records, shots fired per gun, cleanings ... As has been said, Excel will suffice for most things though.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Numbers Spreadsheet...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'm old school - Lotus 123.

No - Excel.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Just an Excel spreadsheet here to include make, model, caliber, serial number, date of purchase, and price paid. Also keep ammo inventory on another tab.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
pen and paper

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I'm the nerd here....
I use a MySQL database.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
If you have gmail you can use google sheets, if you want a free, cloud based alternative to excel.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am searching for a firearms database software so that I may keep track of my firearm collection.

I would store this off-site somehow in case of a burglary, where your computer, if not the guns themselves, is likely to be stolen.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post