SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Have A Toenail Removed? (Chemical Matrixectomy)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Have A Toenail Removed? (Chemical Matrixectomy) Login/Join 
posted
I have had bad ingrown toenails on both of my big toes for most of my adult life. About 3 weeks ago, I had both removed by a podiatrist via chemical matrixectomy. They give you a digital nerve block shot, then fillet/yank them out, then swab the nail bed with phenol to (hopefully) prevent the problematic nails from ever growing back.

The post procedure care sheet said full healing can take 4-6 weeks, but after 3 weeks, they're still pretty tender, and look fairly raggedy. My wife is a nurse, and I'm sure I don't have any infections, and have been doing very good wound care. This podiatrist subscribes to the "keep it wrapped" theory vs open/drying, so I've been using gauze and either triple antibiotic, or Amerigel Oakin Hydrogel.

Any SFers able to chime in on how long things took for them to improve? Will the nerve endings eventually retreat any, and possibly desensitize?

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Ouch!

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Outnumbered,

Yep, I've had it done (full removal) more times than I care to count. The last time on my left toe(about 20 years ago (for the full removal)) they tried to kill it like you describe but it only worked about 50%(family Dr.) I finally had enough about 5 years ago and had it fully removed from a podiatrist (what was left) and the chemical solution (finally) killed the nail bed.

It took a few months and it fully healed. I have no nail and it doesn't feel any different than my right toe, which has a full nail. I could post or email a pic later when I get home from work if you are interested in seeing the difference between the two. I have had no pain or sensitivity issues since the toe fully healed.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Had ingrown toenails both sides since childhood. At around age 40 or so had the sides of both big toe nails removed, not the whole nail; and phenol put in matrix to prevent regrowth.
My wife complains my toenails don’t look natural any more but have had NOT recurrence of ingrown nails.

Posts: 18053 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I had one get ripped off once in a lacrosse game. It took months to regrow and heal up, nasty in between.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on the chemical process - had surgical removal of the bed and nail.

But it's never growing back.

The right big toe was intentionally cleated during a rugby union game, 37 years ago. Boot full o' blood.

After putting up with the nail growing into the wound for weeks, I relented, the nail and bed surgically removed.

For about 100 years, stubbing that toe into furniture or other obstacles, was a new experience in pain.

The body/brain adjusted. The toe end calloused somewhat.

Certainly a unique identifier with or without a toe tag. At kendo or taekwondo, some notice and ask.

Don't think about it now.

I wander around the house and yard barefoot. Thongs (hold on - Aussie flip flops!) for the occasional foray and winter/travel/hiking time it's boots.

Some have said I should have a tattoo of a toenail.

They are so unkind.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the procedure done on both big toes where they take a slice out of each side of the nail then it heals with a narrower toenail but it’s virtually flat. I was cursed with big toe toenails that would grow and they’d be a “U” shape if you looked at them front on, and it was often painful.

The process removed the curve and no more ingrown toenails! Took a good 6-8 weeks to fully heal and a year really for the nail to look fully normal as they put that chemical in on each sliced side to kill the root there.

The foot doc did one toe, then when that was healed he did the other.

Aftercare was soaking my foot in a large metal bowl with very warm water that had about a cup of Kosher salt in it, I recall doing 2 soaks daily about 30 minutes and it really did make a big difference in healing. After the soaking I would put a coating of Neosporin or something like that on the toe, then a Bandaid for the first 10 days, then after that nothing.

I should have done this years ago!

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
It’s just not a good idea to submit your body to chronic infection, whether it be gum disease or ingrown toenails.

Posts: 18053 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whaddya say guys, should we freak everyone out and post pics? Big Grin

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:

I would not mind seeing how they look. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
No pix please!

I mashed by left big toe onboard ship way way back when. The nail had split and part of it jabbed into the surrounding flesh causing nasty issues. Ultimately I visited the corpsman as I was limping badly. He pulled out some medical mini-pliers and said this will smart. It did and off came the whole damn nail. He said it was a toss up whether it would grow back or not. It didn't. Looks ugly as sin. Not a fond memory. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, both big toe nails and one other that needs to go. The soak in Epsom salt bath, ointment and bandage routine is a hassle. They heal up fine, it just takes time.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:

Ha ha! I sent you an email with a picture so as not to gross everyone out. It's really not bad but is kind of weird posting a pic of my toe on the internet.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I had the sides of the nails removed from both big toes years ago and they killed the bed. Well, they tried to kill it, they grew back on both toes. I fought with the ingrowns for about 10 years after that and they've finally pretty much given up and don't grow in so bad anymore.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Had both big toe nails removed 19 years ago. Hurt like hell for three to four weeks and then I stumped my right toe. I wanted to die. That bled again and took another two weeks.

Still no nail but sure beats biweekly self surgery with a pocket knife, dikes, and needle nose pliers.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Severe hammertoes due to a compound ankle fracture. Due to chronic ingrown nails my right little toe was amputated. Best move ever.

Other 3 toes the surgeon cut a v wedge out of the toe's topside and then bent the toes back straight and put a spike to keep them straight when they healed. solved most of my foot problems.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
If you use triple antibiotic, use a cream instead of ointment. Just had both my big toe nails done a couple months ago. Before that I had ingrown nail on the same toes removed. I had mine airing some by 3 weeks.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I’ve had the procedure done on both big toes where they take a slice out of each side of the nail then it heals with a narrower toenail but it’s virtually flat. I was cursed with big toe toenails that would grow and they’d be a “U” shape if you looked at them front on, and it was often painful.

The process removed the curve and no more ingrown toenails! Took a good 6-8 weeks to fully heal and a year really for the nail to look fully normal as they put that chemical in on each sliced side to kill the root there.

The foot doc did one toe, then when that was healed he did the other.

I should have done this years ago!

I had this done three times in the last five years and a total of six times in the last 25 years. They always say the nail won’t grow back but it always does. Mine are also like yours, U shaped.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had an issue, thankfully and can only imagine your pain and stress level. My daughter broker one of her big toe/nail and it fell off on it's own. It took a while to grow back and she had some mild-moderate pain for a while. Fortunately, the matrix was not injured/damaged so the nail could grow back. It really is amazing at the things you take for granted with your body and the way the body has a way with coping. I hope you get better.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had both big toes nails surgically repaired. Took a slice about 1/8" to 3/16" taken off the side of the offending side of respective toe nails. The thought of it was exponentially worse than the actual procedure. The shot of numbing agent was the worst part, and it really was nothing compared to the unrelenting pain of ingrown toenails. If the advise of one who has experienced this issue is worth anything, find a reputable podiatrist and have it done. You will be very happy that you did so.

Posts: 591 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post